4:00 PM EDT - At Montreal - Spain vs. Costa Rica

7:00 PM EDT - At Montreal - Brazil vs. South Korea

Saturday, June 13

4:00 PM EDT - At Montreal - Brazil vs. Spain

7:00 PM EDT - At Montreal - South Korea vs. Costa Rica

Wednesday, June 17

8:00 PM ADT - At Moncton - Costa Rica vs. Brazil

7:00 PM EDT - At Ottawa - South Korea vs. Spain

Ref, they had like 17 shots to 4, and the CR keeper was their best player: a fair result would have been finishing Spain chances and winning, IMO. Problem for Spain is those are two points they needed.

TV audience in Spain was a 4.9 share and about 900,000 viewers, played at 10 Pm on a day without football, which helped. Still, good numbers.

Okay so I'll be the only one discussing this group, fine.

Spain showed a lot of maturity, they are close to making their way into the elite. One thing I see with Spain side is it is a bit political, some teams dominate in the league (Barcelona this year) but all of the top 6-8 teams have players, its a diplomatic decision. Eg the keeper Ainhoa, from Bilbao..., I don't think she is the best and she erred on the goal to prove it. 

Marta. My kid asked me why she was considered so good, watching the 1st half with me. Well she has a great free kick placement and she's a leader, other than that, you're right son, she's in decline.

Reffing. Again my wise son says the ref is out of position all the time and out of shape, far from the play. I think she looks overweight. I don't tell him she's Canadian. But he was right, she just ignored running the diagonal line to reduce her running distance, speaking of Chenard here. So she interfered with play. I think she would not pass a basic physical.

Marta. My kid asked me why she was considered so good, watching the 1st half with me. Well she has a great free kick placement and she's a leader, other than that, you're right son, she's in decline.

Seems like a real change of the guard has begun to happen.  Marta may never be half her best again but the periods of real quality are still there, no doubt about that.  And still a very fit player.  Don't think she's THAT old yet but still, time creeps up fast on all of us.

Have to admit I was watching entirely to see how Brazil fared, to see what they'd have to offer.  Spain look very organized and on a personal basis something very less than overwhelmed.  Bully for them. 

Thought Tamires had a Hell of a match.      

Reffing. Again my wise son says the ref is out of position all the time and out of shape, far from the play. I think she looks overweight. I don't tell him she's Canadian. But he was right, she just ignored running the diagonal line to reduce her running distance, speaking of Chenard here. So she interfered with play. I think she would not pass a basic physical.

Being selected to officiate in the World Cup means a number of fitness tests at multiple camps as well as monthly monitoring.  You outrun the best players in the world and must have the mental processing while doing it to make snap judgement calls better than anyone else.  She's already done a World Cup semi and a U20 gold as well as MLS and is one of the top respected female referees in the world.  Probably the most successful Canadian in the game right now.

Being selected to officiate in the World Cup means a number of fitness tests at multiple camps as well as monthly monitoring.  You outrun the best players in the world and must have the mental processing while doing it to make snap judgement calls better than anyone else.  She's already done a World Cup semi and a U20 gold as well as MLS and is one of the top respected female referees in the world.  Probably the most successful Canadian in the game right now.

Sorry Vic, but blah blah blah. She just ran straight down the field pretty well. Down the centre. Like a surveyor. And she IS overweight, clearly. Result: far from the play when there was a counter, and not compensating properly: you have a lineswoman down each attacking right to call lines and help you, and you have to run the diagonal to follow the respective attacking lefts. And she didn't. 

My personal opinion is that the reffing is atrocious in this tournament, only that the players tend to help the ref a lot, protest little, show even less gamesmanship except a few top teams (US, Brazil, but not Japan), and the reffing does not look as bad as it really is. 

I have seen two separate games with players trapping the ball with two feet on the ground and passing it, and not being called. The refs don't even know the basic rules of the game.

Having endured the demanding fitness tests in my better days until I couldn't pass them any longer, I honestly can't see how she can pass them.  Her use of the whistle and her mannerisms are way overdone.  Some of the assistants are way slower than the players and end up missing stuff.  It is nice that FIFA chooses all female officials, but they need to do a better selection and stick to their testing.

I have seen two separate games with players trapping the ball with two feet on the ground and passing it, and not being called. The refs don't even know the basic rules of the game.

Can you explain what you mean ...by the above quote, trapping the ball with two feet on the ground is against the laws of the game ..which law are you refering to ?

Can you explain what you mean ...by the above quote, trapping the ball with two feet on the ground is against the laws of the game ..which law are you refering to ?

Law 12 Dangerous play - Indirect free kick against player on the ground.

No. On the ground you tweezer the ball between two legs or feet and then toss it somewhere else. This is dangerous play if a rival is close (was both times) and if the opponent would not be able to kick the ball without hitting the trapping player's legs. Meaning the action is dangerous for the player on the ground and impedes the others to play normally. Indirect free kick.

If there is not opponent near it is not dangerous play.

Or do we have to assume that in women's soccer the danger is to be interpreted differently than for men, where this is always called?

No. On the ground you tweezer the ball between two legs or feet and then toss it somewhere else. This is dangerous play if a rival is close (was both times) and if the opponent would not be able to kick the ball without hitting the trapping player's legs. Meaning the action is dangerous for the player on the ground and impedes the others to play normally. Indirect free kick.

If there is not opponent near it is not dangerous play.

Or do we have to assume that in women's soccer the danger is to be interpreted differently than for men, where this is always called?

No this should always be called as a foul.  I understand why Trillium questioned you though.  It sounded like you were saying it was a foul if someone was standing with two feet on the ground and trapped the ball.  That confused me as well.

No this should always be called as a foul.  I understand why Trillium questioned you though.  It sounded like you were saying it was a foul if someone was standing with two feet on the ground and trapped the ball.  That confused me as well.

Actually MrsC, from what I have read on this, if you do it alone there is no need to call it, it is not dangerous play. Nor if you do it as part of a dribble, like that famous Cuatemoc Blanco dribble hop at the 98 WC vs South Korea. Or what Neymar Jr does, tossing the ball over an opponents head. If you do it on the ground, impeding other players to play without having to kick you, it should be called. 

I forget which two games I saw it, sorry.

Actually MrsC, from what I have read on this, if you do it alone there is no need to call it, it is not dangerous play. Nor if you do it as part of a dribble, like that famous Cuatemoc Blanco dribble hop at the 98 WC vs South Korea. Or what Neymar Jr does, tossing the ball over an opponents head. If you do it on the ground, impeding other players to play without having to kick you, it should be called. 

I forget which two games I saw it, sorry.

Sounds like we both agree.  I was stating that the situation you described should always be called.  I thought you were asking if that situation was not called in the women's game because rules for women are different but I can see I misread the end of your question.

So, there's a very good chance that Costa Rica, Spain, and South Korea will all be level on 2 points at the end of the group stage. Costa Rica goes in to the final match with the better goal average and goals for, but has to play Brazil. Doesn't look like there will be a 3rd place team from this group.

Heading to Spain-Rep. of Korea this evening here in Ottawa.  Will be interesting to compare and contrast styles with the Group B teams, especially the Norwegians and Germans.  

BTW, dsqpr, are you heading east for any of the upcoming WCQ??

Just got back from the two matches today at Lansdowne.  The French were very good and clinical in the first half and the game was more or less over after 35 mins.  They are a pleasure to watch; I would even say perhaps a bit more technical than the Germans.  The second game was much more even and just on the second half performance, the Koreans deserved it.  The Korean number 8 (captain) was gutsy and ran the show (as well as all over the pitch) for them. But I just think the French are going to run them ragged in the Round of 16.

Even though Spain screwed up after controlling the 1st half and even playing beautifully at times, and fans are disappointed, they really had a good tournament. I see folks are proud of them here. This is what happens at a first WC in a big stage and against teams with more experience. Experience mattered a lot, since Spain was never clearly inferior to any of their rivals, even vs. Brazil they were with them at every moment. Not beating Costa Rica was where they really fell, since I think you have to give Korea credit for yesterday.

If someone thought the women's game was peaking in Spain or that key players were close to retiring, you could worry. As is, this the first big tournament for them, excepting the u19 WC. So I think the curve is upwards and, on sheer on the ball quality, which Spain has, they'll be increasingly competitive over the next few years, with good youngsters coming up. 

What Spain really needs is for Real Madrid to have a women's team. Right now Barça, Espanyol and At Bilbao are doing right, Real Sociedad too, At Madrid and the Valencia teams. Having RM would really sharpen interest, tv following, and raise the competitive edge.

BTW great crowd in Ottawa, was impressed by that for teams with virtually no fan base in Canada.

Yes, I was also pleased with the attendance last night. Unfortunately, the first game was no contest. However, the crowd was definitely into the second match. I was impressed with the South Korean support. They took up a good chunk of 2-3 sections in the upper bowl of the south side. They were organized with drums, capos, and were handing out free t-shirts and thunder sticks - which helped get the neturals to support them!

My experience is that the Koreans always support their side vehemently, albeit with generally no animosity towards the opposition.  

Also while at the game yesterday, I just couldn't cheer for the Mexicans.  It shouldn't matter cause it's the women's team; but CONCACAF rivalries run very deep with me.  Probably worse if the Honduran women ever become decent.

Archived