2:00 PM ADT - At Moncton - France vs. England

5:00 PM ADT - At Moncton - Colombia vs. Mexico

Saturday, June 13

2:00 PM ADT - At Moncton - France vs. Colombia

5:00 PM ADT - At Moncton - England vs. Mexico

Wednesday, June 17

4:00 PM EDT - At Ottawa - Mexico vs. France

4:00 PM EDT - At Montreal - England vs. Colombia

Colombia and Mexico seemed fairly even, although if I had to choose one I would incline for Mexico.  One point each on their 1-1 tie will make things interesting when both have to face England and specially France.  I though the referee from Cameroon was a bit spaced out.

England disappoint, they are going nowhere. England seems to have the same problem as Canada.....feeble in the attacking third.

I think the feeble nature begins on the bench, England lost years under Powell and the new guy is no better. Money is flowing but the game is stagnated by the coaches, no ambition to change means they never learn the new way...and the Frances will own them for years to come. I suspect we are going to see much of the same by the end of the WWC this year with Canada, a recognition our selection process is still mired in a old view of what the game is, versus what modern football ( soccer for Squizz ) really is. Germany is one expression of new football, I suspect France is the other, will be great to see the ebbs and flows of which style will out in this World Cup.

England disappoint, they are going nowhere. England seems to have the same problem as Canada.....feeble in the attacking third.

Some of that performance comes down to coaching decisions as well. I am not sure why he would leave a proven scorer like Jodi Taylor on the bench.  

**I just realized that I had to go out and missed some of the second half, so maybe he did use her later in the game?

France, to me, has looked like the best team at this tournament.  China has also looked good, but lacked finishing.  Meanwhile France has it all.  Looking sharp in the first few against Colombia as well, guess we'll see how this game goes...

IN regards to the Colombia team...

All the announcers that predicted a France win are now throwing around terms like "underdog" and "upset".

I think it would be more accurate and honest to just go out there and say "Colombia are actually a better team than we initially judged them to be".

I don't think "underdog" and "upset" describes this club, they have shown in two games they are technically talented and well coached.  

IN regards to the Colombia team...

All the announcers that predicted a France win are now throwing around terms like "underdog" and "upset".

I think it would be more accurate and honest to just go out there and say "Colombia are actually a better team than we initially judged them to be".

I don't think "underdog" and "upset" describes this club, they have shown in two games they are technically talented and well coached.  

Very well said.  I can see the Colombians disposing of England next Wednesday.

What's odd, thinking of Colombia, is they are miles ahead of Ecuador, no contest. In qualifying I think they were even better than Brazil.

Sometimes you wonder about how qualifying must go from a region. Like Costa Rica getting that result first match, for them, I think, being in a strong region must have helped them a lot. 

I've corrected the one letter spelling error I made on my phone. A bit surprised that was the only thing in my post that a ref found worthy of comment!

I totally agree with your comment about the fat referee, that was a brutal call.  I may had even given and indirect free kick against England for dangerous play for blasting the ball to a player on the ground.

It is a shame that the refereeing has been so poor but it would be a much bigger shame to not use women referees. And it's not like the male referees don't make mistakes! Football as a whole needs to find more ways to help referees at these big tournaments because refereeing a football match is by far and away the hardest job in sports officiating.

Harder than rugby?  I'm not convinced.  The International Rugby Board has done a lot to make the job easier with technology, and I think FIFA would be wise to follow their lead.

I agree that male refs make their fair share of bad decisions; you only have to watch the MLS for proof of that.

I don't think the reffing has been bad, just some sloppiness and lack of knowledge, some bad placement. Other than that quite fine.

A ref has to ref weekly, in fast and highly competitive matches, to learn to improve. Only way. 30 matches a year and then a review board commenting. A full-fledged off season in front of a blackboard with videos. 

I don't think we've seen a ruling determining whether a team stayed in or out of the tournament yet (maybe N Zealand?), and I hope we don't either. 

Edit: after seeing Germany-Sweden I take back most of what I said, atrocious reffing. Made me a bit sick in fact seeing the stronger side consistently favoured, was really poor.

Biggest game of the tournament so far.  Appointments are done based on experience, marks, fitness, performance.  

Germany – France
Referee: Carol Anne Chenard (CAN)
Assistant Referee 1: Marie Charbonneau (CAN)
Assistant Referee 2: Suzanne Morisset (CAN)
Fourth Official: Efthalia Mitsi (GRE)
Fifth Official: Chrysoula Kourompylia (GRE)

Someone asked me before the England/Norway game how long Houghton would keep up.  I said just watch.

My biggest problem with her is that she likes the sound of her own whistle, which is never a good thing in a football referee. She stops the match far too often when it is really hard to see a foul and is always prone to putting herself into the spotlight by awarding a dubious penalty (e.g. for England against Colombia).

I totally agree.  I would mark her poorly for her use of the whistle, her mannerisms (or maybe it should be womanisms) and being overweight with questionable fitness.  It seems to me that the CSA just wants to have a Canadian referee for show regardless of anything else.

Archived