Liam Fraser

shamrock

Massive news. I am torn about it.

On one hand I think Vanney could have done a better job progressing some younger players into the fold, though to his credit there were several young players who came into their own under him, but I would argue not nearly enough.

On the other hand, Toronto has had an incredible 7 years under him and I suppose I have some residual PTSD from Toronto switching coaches so often. I really don't want them to return to that world. I think the continuity (and the spending) were just as big as Vanney's ability to coach. Whoever they bring in next I hope they are in it for the long haul.

The other thing, which some people may not want to hear, may be that with everything going on with boarder crossing uncertainty and the like, it may have been the right time for Greg to return to his home country. Being a Canadian club is automatically less attractive than before with the threat of not being able to play at home looming over our heads. Henry and Dos Santos were already in their roles before this came to pass, but now Toronto needs to convince a standout coach to join under these circumstances. I don't like it, I really don't. Toronto has a lot of pull and I am sure they'll find a great coach, but I can't help but worry about the situation Toronto finds itself in.

Not the ideal time for big changes, but at the same time changes were needed. Just hope it all works out!

I'm optimistic from what I've heard other posters say about Ali's vision for the club, that this is positive news for the development of young Canadian talent at TFC.  

I agree with @Obinna on his points above.  Vanney always had the most expensive (by far!), talented and deep squad of any in the MLS so I think an argument could be made that an average replacement would have also won one title in 5 years.

43 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I'm optimistic from what I've heard other posters say about Ali's vision for the club, that this is positive news for the development of young Canadian talent at TFC.  

I agree with @Obinna on his points above.  Vanney always had the most expensive (by far!), talented and deep squad of any in the MLS so I think an argument could be made that an average replacement would have also won one title in 5 years.

Listen I watched all 3 MLS cup finals and Toronto should have won all 3 and I’m a Sounders fan, Vanney didn’t get it done he’s not a winner.

Love how the majority of opinions regarding Vanney seem to come from non TFC supporters. Fact is, before Vanney, we had no idea what winning felt like, we didn't even know what competing was. Now we go into every game expecting to win, and we go into every season expecting to be competitive. Under Vanney TFC was a powerhouse, and no, not just any "average coach" could have done it, seeing as the team has been a high spending team since near its inception. I'm sad to see him go, but then again, what else does he have left to accomplish, he's still a relatively young coach and might not be ruling out the possibility of trying his luck in an overseas league, I would if I was him.

TFC fan here. I am only just hearing this Vanney news from this thread, but my gut reaction is that it will be good for the academy grads on the team (including Fraser) but I also expect some tighter purse strings and worse results. I hope I am wrong about the results thing and TFC produces league beaters, but of course only time will tell.

I won’t post my full opinion on Vanney’s time here but from a Canadian perspective this could be great news. A new coach will mean guys who did get more playing time like Osorio and Laryea will need to fight to keep their spot but I don’t think we have to worry about those two.

We might see Dunn and maybe Romeo get time that would have gone to Ciman or nephew, though if Gonzalez still sucks next year I can still see him playing since he’s a veteran, sadly. 

Our midfield is wide open though, this could be Fraser’s chance to become a starter but there’s a lot of competition. I’m hoping the new coach has the balls to sit Bradley for once since we looked better without him this year. Gonna be interesting to see what happens with Priso and Okello. 

7 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Idgaf who plays as long as the team keeps winning. Let Montreal and Vancouver keep experimenting and being perpetual losers all they want, while delivering a mediocre, at best, on field product.

You have got to be one of the most annoying posters on here. 90% of all your comments/replies are condescending and generally talk down to other posters or the subject being discussed. What is exactly your problem? Maybe time to take a break or get a reality check. 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

39 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

You have got to be one of the most annoying posters on here. 90% of all your comments/replies are condescending and generally talk down to other posters or the subject being discussed. What is exactly your problem? Maybe time to take a break or get a reality check. 

He's a dickhead? 😁

As a TFC fan I appreciate Vanney for being apart of what TFC has accomplished in the past 5 years. However I also appreciate Bezbetchenko and most importantly Tim Lieweke. He saw the potential of the market, and brought in key guys in the prime of their careers which was absolutely massive to the club. 

Ultimately Vanney was very fortunate to be the son that was given the keys to his dad's ferrari without having to work to get it. In this case it was the head coach position, with him coming from the academy. If he's going to the Galaxy it will be verrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting to see how he does with that team especially because money is already tied up. 

.........woah I wrote this whole spiel talking about Vanney, realizing this is the Fraser thread.

Back to the topic. 

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

We might see Dunn and maybe Romeo get time that would have gone to Ciman or nephew, though if Gonzalez still sucks next year I can still see him playing since he’s a veteran, sadly. 

FYI Romeo is on loan until summer. So more than likely they'll be bringing in another experienced defender.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

Our midfield is wide open though, this could be Fraser’s chance to become a starter but there’s a lot of competition. I’m hoping the new coach has the balls to sit Bradley for once since we looked better without him this year. Gonna be interesting to see what happens with Priso and Okello. 

That's just it, even if the additional changes are regarding Bradley, that still doesn't say that Liam will be replacing him. The midfield is loaded right now and Okello and Priso have shown better than Fraser this year IMO. On top of Delgado, Osorio already being locks.

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Cool. Now what exactly triggered you? Montreal and Vancouver are god awful teams. 

And maybe you should stay away from public forums if you're too fragile and easily triggered by polar opinions?

Edited by LeoH037

34 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Cool. Now what exactly triggered you? Montreal and Vancouver are god awful teams. 

And maybe you should stay away from public forums if you're too fragile and easily triggered by polar opinions?

Oh no that’s far from the issue. There is many of differing opinions on this board and I’ve never had a problem with those said opinions. What I do have a problem with however, is what was mentioned above, and in the past. It’s your condescending and elitist attitude painted over the majority of your posts. That, is my issue. I’ve had a lot of mature debates with many of posters on here and have never had an issue with any of them so what gives with you?

23 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Oh no that’s far from the issue. There is many of differing opinions on this board and I’ve never had a problem with those said opinions. What I do have a problem with however, is what was mentioned above, and in the past. It’s your condescending and elitist attitude painted over the majority of your posts. That, is my issue. I’ve had a lot of mature debates with many of posters on here and have never had an issue with any of them so what gives with you?

Bah, dont let it bother you...who cares??  IDoGive AF about CDN players, more so than any one individual CDN team..and I dont think I am the only one, after all this is a Voyaguer site not a TFC fansite eh?  I had a CDN flag on my ass long before TFC came around.  So supporting team america just gets harder and harder no matter how much they win.   So good luck TFC with whatever american journeyman or TAM/GLAM/FLIM FLAM money they pick up in trade for Fraser.  Ohhhh I'm going to be fired up for Forge winning in CONCACAF tonight.  

4 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

It's not a question of being triggered.  You made a dumb comment, and people are calling you out on it.  If you don't see and understand that, you're just proving that you actually are dumb and it's not just the one comment.

Look around, we're Canadian soccer fans here, and most, including myself would rather another Canadian team win over a US team. Get it?  Canadian soccer.  We're not here to degrade or troll.  If you still don't get it, think of the word "supporters", and try to figure out what that means.  If you still don't get it, find yourself a TFC only forum.

You do realize..... TFC has sucked more seasons than they've been good right?  That's how sports teams work, it's up and it's down, just trends..... Very few teams always suck.  Don't trash others when you're up, it won't last long.

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Came on as a late substitute in TFCs champions league draw with Leon.

I think again he’s going to find it hard to get into that TFC middle, with the likes of Priso and Okello emerging- the former who was preferred over him.

I can’t help but say he should’ve looked for a move.

I agree he should have moved but he brings some defensive attributes I still haven't see from the other two, he made a couple of good late interventions last night, one probably saved a goal!

I think the fact that an 18 year old and a 20 year old both started over Fraser, and Dorsey, a winger (with no visible skill whatsoever) came on for Priso instead of Fraser is pretty telling that it's time for Fraser to seek greener pastures. Maybe he's not a fit for a team that presses but the poor guy's never gonna get a chance.

19 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I think the fact that an 18 year old and a 20 year old both started over Fraser, and Dorsey, a winger (with no visible skill whatsoever) came on for Priso instead of Fraser is pretty telling that it's time for Fraser to seek greener pastures. Maybe he's not a fit for a team that presses but the poor guy's never gonna get a chance.

That was a ridiculous substitution and almost cost TFC the tie, clearly there is no future for Fraser there, he needs to get out asap!

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

I was thinking sending him to the Whitecaps for Cornelius would make sense for both teams if MDS isn’t going to start Cornelius again this year. Though wasn’t there some problem Fraser had with the Whitecaps when he was at their academy?

Also I’m glad Dorsey is another awful American we get to see stealing time from more talented kids.