4:00 PM PDT - At Vancouver - Cameroon vs. Ecuador

7:00 PM PDT - At Vancouver - Japan vs. Switzerland

Friday, June 12

4:00 PM PDT - At Vancouver - Switzerland vs. Ecuador

7:00 PM PDT - At Vancouver - Japan vs. Cameroon

Tuesday, June 16

4:00 PM CDT - At Winnipeg - Ecuador vs. Japan

3:00 PM MDT - At Edmonton - Switzerland vs. Cameroon

I'll add that both sides (Japan and Cameroon) played bravely.  Not much holding back by either side when going for the ball, without the mood turning nasty.

In the other game, it was good to see Ecuador continue to play without losing spirit.  The crowd was solidly behind them when they scored their goal.

Though Cameroon lost to Japan by a score of 2 to 1 they outshot Japan 20 to 4. If Canada tops Group A  then the Round-of-16 opponent for Canada would likely be Cameroon. Doesn't look like this is going to be an easy one for Canada, should it happen.

Cameroon nearly stole points against the World Cup champions.  And they're not even African champions.  There's your biggest sign of change.

They have a couple exciting players and unlike Nigeria who rely on physical prowess can move a ball around and are a real breath of fresh air.

Another thing I noticed in Vancouver is that players are making slide tackles when it makes sense, and they don't seem to be showing ill effects from the artificial turf.  They also seem to be getting used to how the ball runs on the surface, using it to their advantage.  The Japanese in particular are getting good at chipping and sticking the ball.  I do see players slip occassionally as their cleats don't seem to bite as well as into dirt, but that seems to be the worst of it.

Archived