Globe and Mail today

So it seems that Cathal "Catty" Kelly couldn't resist climbing even lower into his litter box with this steaming pile of excrement that was served up today. Without opening up the "all NT games should be in my city" debate; any comments? 

I thought it was funny.

I think he makes some valid points and he was wrong about some other stuff. In the end, I think Edmonton always rises to the occasion for Soccer so whatever gives us the best advantage is where we should play.

I think also it was a dig at the terrible decision to host the Pan Am games instead by ontario's inept provincial government.

He should have focused more on the stupid decision by Ontario & Toronto Tourism not to bid for WWC for Toronto.

And rather than Edmonton, Toronto should be there to replace Moncton which will come across as having a amateurish looking stadium with empty seats. Capacity has been reduced to 14k.

Can't fault any of these comments. Moncton is all-in on this tourney and they just don't have it.

I do agree with the central premise that the opener should be in the biggest city. Right up until you ask me where I would rather play the Chinese.

THen it's Edmonton all day.

he rips on commonwealth for having a track and no history. Yes last wwc opener was in berlin with a track.

also what history does BMO have that commonwealth doesnt. commonweath hosted Canada to a tie of Brazil months before they were world champs. not to mention donavon baileys fairwell at the 2001 IAAF track champs

he says commonwealth isn't a good facility. its aged magnificently and is one of the best in Canada. shes a gem.

He'd rather it be in BMO, where the capacity is a third of Commonwealth's? 

There is something to be said that yea, Edmonton probably has foreigners checking their maps when it's mentioned. Can be argued that the opening could be in Montreal, and I'm genuinely curious if it would sell as well as it has in Edmonton. If Canada's team is going to play, it should play to a large and loud crowd, which is on the verge of setting the record for the attendance for a Canadian soccer game.

It's just a trolling article designed to rustle feathers from a hack reporter. Nothing more than click bait. Better to ignore it and not give it any mention than to bring any more attention to it.

Either that, or maybe some of the Edmonton V's may have to seek out said reporter...

He's trolling everyone and getting what he wants which is views on his articles. I wish this article didn't blow up like it did but I am proud to see Edmontonians standing up for their city. Edmonton will put on a terrific show for those women tomorrow! 

Two criticisms.

1) The food/beer/merchandise lines were unbelievable. An hour to get food is not an exaggeration.

2) It was a bit of a subdued crowd but no surprise there.

Everything else is a positive. Commonwealth pretty much sold out, city decked out in colours all over the place, great pre-game, march was HUGE, and I have never seen so many people wearing authentic Canada jerseys (almost all the latest edition, but several of the older as well). Would not surprise me if upwards of 5000 ppl were wearing the jersey. Probably more.

Noticed that on TV, what was up with that? National anthem seemd kinda quiet on TV, what was it like in person.

I heard from friends in another section that the stadium got quite loud and picked up on the supporters a few times. I had trouble hearing it though.

A combination of other sport's spectator habits and nervousness contributed to the mood. Also the inconsistent attack and heat made it difficult to sustain the emotion.

The general population has a long way to go to embrace soccer fandom. Not a criticism, just a reality.

I was saying to you just last week  that culturally in terms of soccer I think Saskatchewan may have a slightly more interested fan base than Edmonton and Calgary...

I really hope that starts to change, and I hope another win on June 11th helps facilitate that change.

I hope that some people see our group, and say "I'd like to be a part of that and sit with those guys."

I'm still very new as a soccer supporter (though I always enjoyed watching it, we all start somewhere right?)  My first supporters experience was going to an FC Edmonton season opener a few years ago, and at the time, I just bought tickets wherever, but I was looking at the ESG going "Damn, I'd rather be up there with those guys"...

So if we look like we are having fun...

In truth the play on the field didn't really scream inspiration to the novelty fan though did it?

Echo what Rob wrote. Our hotel was half full of Canada fans of every colour, shape and size. And good on them, more than a few visiting Chinese.

No, the play didn't...but there's one more game in Edmonton yet.

Unfortunately I think the attendance won't be even close to what June 6th attendance was.

Not an empty stadium by any means, but it won't look that photo from Joe on page 1...

That's an awesome photo...

Again my criticism is similar.  A bunch of Canadians saw grass, and got quiet like they were watching golf...

Archived