On June 6th Introduce Yourself

One of the greatest things about travelling around to games is meeting new people and realizing that you share a passion for the game. There are going to be a ton of Edmontonians mixed with travellers from all over the place. It sucks if it's cliquey and some people won't know many people so, short of getting everybody name tags and arranging some bizarre speed-dating-like activity, people are going to have to start spontaneous conversations with whoever is in their vicinity. In my experience you can make a lot of lifelong friends at Voyageurs events.

(Apologies if that was sappy)

I agree as well. There's a dollar store near the Pint, I won't mind grabbing a bunch of name tags, I also have a bunch of sharpies. Let's put our:

Name 

Twitter/Forum handle

Drink

I was thinking about this earlier in the week! Glad to see I'm not crazy!

So, I have some feedback on this. I debated just ignoring it but I figured it's best to say something than to not. 

As someone who's first time it was in the Voyageurs section, and knowing very few people who were at the pre-game meet up, the first impression I had of the group was that it was incredibly cliquey. It's very hard to join in with a group that seems to all know each other, especially when you know maybe 2 out of 100 people in the group and are introduced to only one or two more. Thankfully, I got a couple pints in me and met a few folks, but it really took away from the whole experience for me.

I arrived late, and wasn't there for long before we got on the bus, but yes I got that feeling too. I did manage to introduce myself to a few others though. I can only hope to improve my initiative on Thursday, and that others do the same.

Absolutely better to say something. It's a bad habit of mine to talk to people I already know, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs a punch on the side of the head sometimes.

I tend to do the same when I am with folk I know, so I completely understand the other side of things as well.

I arrived late, and wasn't there for long before we got on the bus, but yes I got that feeling too. I did manage to introduce myself to a few others though. I can only hope to improve my initiative on Thursday, and that others do the same.

Did I meet you? I met a bunch of new folks but I'm terrible with names. Add in forum handles and I'm lucky to remember anything. I was wearing the SK flag as a cape. If not I'll make sure to introduce myself on Thursday.

I felt the same way a few years ago. Newbie who didn't know many people. It did change with time though. I thought this thread might kick start it for a few people.

So, I have some feedback on this. I debated just ignoring it but I figured it's best to say something than to not. 

As someone who's first time it was in the Voyageurs section, and knowing very few people who were at the pre-game meet up, the first impression I had of the group was that it was incredibly cliquey. It's very hard to join in with a group that seems to all know each other, especially when you know maybe 2 out of 100 people in the group and are introduced to only one or two more. Thankfully, I got a couple pints in me and met a few folks, but it really took away from the whole experience for me.

I would agree with that.  When I first got there I kind of felt like I didn't belong.  Luckily Mike took me around and introduced me to a few people so that helped.

Sorry sherm I shoulda done better introducing you to more people and such!  To be honest a lot of the time the guys around us I didn't know either!  Balancing talking to guys and making sure the wife also feels included and not ignored by me is tough (love having her come though)

And Thrilla that was awesome of you to come up to us and have a chat!  Too bad I had bloody wax in my ears, now I owe you a beer! I'm actually kind of glad one or two people actually did remember me from the few FC Edmonton games I was able to make it up to, usually I'm of the mind that so many people flit in and out of something like section 107, that if you aren't there consistently you probably won't be remembered, so that was pretty cool.

I'll DEFINITELY be back on Thurs, and I owe you a beer for mishearing "ThrillaFC" as "TorontoFC" lol

I felt the same way even at the pint dowtown during the post game party. However, I have myself to blame since I am a pretty quiet & shy person around people I don't know. Engaging conversations with strangers has never been a good quality of mine.

Archived