WWC - Team and Player chants

Califax

^^^ Absolutely true!!!  I am also not that happy about the political statements being made about the opposing team as parts of chants but I guess there is a fine line. Perhaps we will need to review the "rules of engagement" tomorrow at the pre-game. 

First of all, yes. It shouldn't need to be said but under no circumstances should chants of a sexual nature be uttered. Even if they weren't world class athletes, they're still... oh what's the word, right, people. I imagine the first person to try it would get shut up pretty quick.

As for other chants, point is well taken but I think "political" probably isn't the right word. I wouldn't boo a public official from a supporter's section, or use it to promote my personal agenda but I do think standing up for Human rights is fair game in a song every now and then.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ Agreed. That is why I am on both sides of that debate and I hope we find the right balance of edgy without being a-holes.

For instance, chanting "Stand up if you won the war!" last summer at the U20WWC QF vs. Germany struck me as having no place there. Just my two cents. 

Yes I'm all for being tasteful, and chants of a sexual nature from a group of what will be a male-dominated group are just plain misogyny… ESPECIALLY ABOUT OUR OWN PLAYERS. My column of tanks chant is only a suggestion, but I think we can discuss how we feel about it tomorrow.

Is my tank chant too edgy?

I don't think so, but I'm sure others will disagree.

I just think we have to be careful. I mean the classic example was the "show us your passports" chant which was designed to say, "we know you're canadian but cheering for you are inexplicably grandfathers country". When it came across as "you're here illegally", the furthest from intentions.

I'm sure you boys and girls will sort it out.

It's always going to tip toe on edgy when we bring in politics, or historical events (Tanks, with the Tiananmen Square massacre anniversary being just yesterday). We want to playfully beak other teams, but most things that we know about a country are news and politics, unless there is a figure of satire we can poke at. But even that takes the attention away from the players. Figure it's best to simply stick to supportive "home team" chants and songs.

^^^ Agreed. That is why I am on both sides of that debate and I hope we find the right balance of edgy without being a-holes.

For instance, chanting "Stand up if you won the war!" last summer at the U20WWC QF vs. Germany struck me as having no place there. Just my two cents.

Oops that was mine. I thought the Germans in attendance thought it was kind of funny.

However I'd rather err on the side of caution tbh as many above have also mentioned.

Oops that was mine. I thought the Germans in attendance thought it was kind of funny.

However I'd rather err on the side of caution tbh as many above have also mentioned.

I'm sure they're used to it, the English have been singing "Two World Wars and one World Cup" for years.

They maybe be used to it in Europe but it still surprised me.

@Rob, I thought it was Jeff that started that one, didn't realize I implicated you.

I guess the Germans had a sense of humour about it but the look on their faces the first time they heard it seemed to me more like, "What? I can't believe they said that."

Of course they got in their own digs when they claimed the German Women's team could beat our MNT so I guess it balanced out.  

They maybe be used to it in Europe but it still surprised me.

@Rob, I thought it was Jeff that started that one, didn't realize I implicated you.

I guess the Germans had a sense of humour about it but the look on their faces the first time they heard it seemed to me more like, "What? I can't believe they said that."

Of course they got in their own digs when they claimed the German Women's team could beat our MNT so I guess it balanced out.

My intent was to be silly but to get a minor dig in. Considering most of the people involved (both Canadians and Germans) were born 40 or more years after the war, I also thought it was fairly safe.

Otoh I'm much more in the 'we're red, we're white, we're awfully polite' camp. I can have fun perfectly well without being edgy, insulting, or profane.

LOl. speaking of dalmatians, damn Doug, you off the leash.

Staaaand uuup..

If you don't take bribes.

It'll get figured out. As mentioned though there's going to be plenty of young ones about. Young ladies at that. We'll have our fun but I think it'll be that much the funner if we get more bright eyed looks from Generation Next than harsh ones.

Just came back from the after party at Pint Downtown. Just noting down the songs that inspired us to come up w/ new chants before I forget. We can toy w/ the lyrics before Thursday, this gives us four days. If any of you were there, feel free to add to this, post a youtube video too.

Len - Steal My Sunshine // it just seemed right to sing along to this, was suggested we sing this if a game happens to be during sunset

Shania Twain - Still The One // the original lyrics are pretty good on their own, may be a lot to remember

Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5 // replace all the original names w/ CanWNT & Herdman

Cee Lo Green - F**k you // rhymes w/ Leroux

Drake - Started From the Bottom // just look at the beginning of that video! Also speaks of where we've come from last place 4 years ago

As much as I can't stand Celine Dion, we should really be doing 'The Power of Love' as the Women's team has mentioned it multiple times. I'm not sure if they still do, but they used to play it in the dressing room after each win apparently.

It would be a glorious tribute if we sung it at the end of the game when they were rounding the stadium. Hell I might lose it and get all verklempt.

'Cause you are our ladies

And we are your fans.

Whenever we sing for thee

We sing loud as we can.

We're headed for something

And that something's a win.

Sometimes I'm frightened but I'm ready to learn

Of the power of love.

Couldn't think of anything for the last two lines but the original lyrics aren't bad there.

'Cause you are our ladies

And we are your fans.

Whenever we sing for thee

We sing loud as we can.

We're headed for something

And that something's a win.

Sometimes I'm frightened but I'm ready to learn

Of the power of love.

Is it okay that I read this to the tune of "Sunshine...you are my sunshine...you make me happy!  When skies are grey!"

Stop it Ryan, we know Kris has to hold you tightly while you weep to this tune

Turn it off, honey...turn it oooffffff *sniffle*

What is with all of this Celine Dion talk?   For all you young whippersnappers who don't know your history, may I point out that this song was co-written and originally recorded by Jennifer Rush in 1984. Obviously there are a number of covers of this song out there but that original version is still the best IMHO. 

"And another thing" he says in his best Grandpa Simpson voice, "If you want to do a chant/tribute to a song called "Still The One" why not look at the song by Orleans instead of the Shania song."

The song by Orleans is catchy and upbeat and a lot of the lyrics can be used as is. Just sayin' 

OK Grandpa, time for your meds and a nap........ :D

What is with all of this Celine Dion talk?   For all you young whippersnappers who don't know your history, may I point out that this song was co-written and originally recorded by Jennifer Rush in 1984. Obviously there are a number of covers of this song out there but that original version is still the best IMHO. 

Tell that to our ladies. I fully know that Rush did it first, but the Canadian national team talks about Céline Dion as the singer.

Archived