Manjrekar James

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Didn't he score a header off a corner that game as well?

Yes!

10 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I was sold on James the day Canada played Honduras in San Pedro Sula and saw how he kept frustrating both Elis and Quioto, who could find no way to get past him.

I love him because he's so lanky he always wins challenges he probably shouldn't because he can reach pretty far.

10 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

How about when he knocked one into our own net against Curacao in Montreal only to score 20 minutes later to level the game at 1-1?

And proceeded to make up for it by scoring the first goal for Canada himself :)

• 4 months later...

He's on one of the top teams in the Danish Superliga, he will be getting good training, but yes he will be batting for minutes.

He's made the 18 in the first 3 matches and I put him as the first CB off the bench. His team also appears to play 3 at the back, which I think is good for James, as I think James is very capable in a 3 at the back formation.

He should get an opportunity at some point he will need to be ready and make the most of it.

33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not starting again...you havebto think that Herdman will have little option but to factor in Gasparatto at some point

I would be surprised if that were the case.

There is a greater chance of Edgar, Hainault or Straith being called, I would argue, since all 3 made the preliminary list recently for Gold Cup. Moreover, each of these players has greater experience and two of them are playing at a higher level club.

It would be great if him or Didic, for example, played their way into the team via CPL, but both find themselves in a situation where they are too old for the youth national teams, while also lacking the experience relative to the older options I mentioned.

Edited by Obinna

Who do we have that doesnt make mistakes??  Nobody trusts Henry, James makes to many mistakes, Cornelius/Miller are too inexperinced, Vittoira/Didic are too slow, Edgar/Jakovic are too old, no one remembers Hainault or Straith, etc etc.  We have to play someone, Devos or Kevin Mckenna are not coming out of the tunnel.  And dont give me the pie in the sky, Tomori and Gutierez are coming baloney.  Pining for some big name to switch doesnt help us now.  

57 minutes ago, Obinna said:

There is a greater chance of Edgar, Hainault or Straith being called, I would argue, since all 3 made the preliminary list recently for Gold Cup.

They aren't the future though. Like it or not, we have no depth at defense and we have to be thinking about giving opportunities to our younger defenders.

Gasparatto is clocking lots of minutes. Not saying he should be our #1 CB, but using him as a sub in a friendly we are winning or even against a Cuba after we're ahead 8-0 isn't a bad idea.

Heck, I find it worrying that Cornelius doesn't play more minutes. It's unfair to expect an error-free games from guys who dont play enough.

Like someone said, they all make mistakes but Gasparatto will learn, 24 years old, right?

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

They aren't the future though. Like it or not, we have no depth at defense and we have to be thinking about giving opportunities to our younger defenders.

Gasparatto is clocking lots of minutes. Not saying he should be our #1 CB, but using him as a sub in a friendly we are winning or even against a Cuba after we're ahead 8-0 isn't a bad idea

I agree that none of them are the future, and that we ought to be giving such opportunities to young defenders, as our depth is not good.

But I don't think John Herdman will do this with Gasparatto, or Didic for that matter, who is basically in a similar situation.

The reason why is because, although the future is important, so to is the present. In defense, the emphasis will likely be on the present and not the future, since defense is a weakness we must resolve today, not tomorrow.

In contrast, John Herdman decided to consider the future of midfield when calling Okello, and he could do this since our present strength is great in midfield. 

It may seem counterintuitive for Herdman to not invest in a position of weakness, but I would expect him to shore up the center of defense now with a proven player instead of a project. You can't really focus on the future when the present is not sorted out, right? 

Furthermore, there are only so many opportunities to give to projects when you are trying to qualify for the Hex (funny how that takes on a whole new meaning now).

With all due respect to Gasparatto, he is pretty far down the list of projects for Herdman and the fact he's already aged out of the youth teams makes it even more difficult to find him an opportunity.

Edited by Obinna

With our firepower on offense, at home against Cuba...Herdman still cant take a chance on working in a young CB?  When would a better chance be? Did he learn nothing from throwing Godinho to the wolves in GC? 

James should have been at the GC so he is a for sure pick, Henry might miss the next camp as he is injured now, Vancouver wont want to send Cornelius is Henry is still injured as well.  I am thinking James and Miller, or maybe call Gasparatto/Kennedy/Montgomery/Comsia or TMG.  Pick one from that pot and one from the old geezer pot and let James play both matches.