Manjrekar James

7 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Pains me to say this, it’s goin to be a long season for the impact with their second tier CMNT player acquisition strategy 

I’m not so sure of that... I feel like it will be an exciting year for them. They may not be the top team, but I predict a better result than last year. You can be sure that with a ton of young Canadians they will be an exciting team. 

As far a James goes, he is the exact type of guy that thrives in the MLS: big, strong, and athletic. He may not have the best smarts or ball control, but not many defenders in the MLS do... 

11 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Pains me to say this, it’s goin to be a long season for the impact with their second tier CMNT player acquisition strategy 

Even it it will, it's kinda hard to be critical when we've been saying for years there should be more Canadians on Canadian MLS teams. Montreal is finally doing it, thumps up for trying!

In fairness, all 3 of the Canadian MLS teams have stepped up and acquired talented Canadians. They may not have done it exactly how we would have all liked, and it may not always work out, but they are trying: Whitecaps bring in Doneil Henry and giving David Edgar another shot, Toronto FC giving Raheem Edwards lots of playing time, and Montreal signing Sam Piette and Michael Petrasso. And this is on top of their investment in developing young players.

57 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

In fairness, all 3 of the Canadian MLS teams have stepped up and acquired talented Canadians. They may not have done it exactly how we would have all liked, and it may not always work out, but they are trying: Whitecaps bring in Doneil Henry and giving David Edgar another shot, Toronto FC giving Raheem Edwards lots of playing time, and Montreal signing Sam Piette and Michael Petrasso. And this is on top of their investment in developing young players.

These Canadian clubs should have Canadian squad players/journeymen types in the role playing jobs, not American journeymen hidden as domestics.  Glad to see this finally happening.

7 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Exciting or underachieving?...look I love that we are seeing younger Canadians get a look. I just don’t see this playing out well for the Impact. 

But wouldn't the evidence suggest otherwise? Bernier was solid for the Impact. Tabla is as well as Jackson-Hamel. Piette has been excellent. On average Canadians playing for Montreal have been no worse than others it seems.

Not sure why you are so negative about Canadians at IMFC

Edited by Bertuzzi44

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

These Canadian clubs should have Canadian squad players/journeymen types in the role playing jobs, not American journeymen hidden as domestics.  Glad to see this finally happening.

Yeah this has bothered me more than anything - at least on the Whitecaps, they would continually bring in replacement level Americans like Jordan Harvey and Andrew Jacobsen at the expense of playing time for young players who were riskier but had upside. In this case it was Sam Adekugbe and Kianz Froese who lost out. 

That comes back to business vs obligation to the national growth of the game. While many teams pick the former, arguably the latter should be better for business anyway.

I can understand the pressure of wanting the best players on the pitch as football is a results business. The trust obviously hasnt been there that the academy players at that time were good enough so they opted for ready players that can keep the manager his job. Hopefully that is something we will see less of with every passing year each canadian academy grows. We are already seeing it imo. 

It's also about what trickles down or is dictated from the top though. A manager opting not to use the talented youth is obviously fearful for his position because the board have prioritized the results and instant success in the league over developing the Canadian talent and giving the manager time to do so.

If the pathways are blocked why bother with the academy anyway? As a gesture? To sell players on?

As an entity are they more than morally obligated to help the growth of Canadian Soccer and should the CSA have a bigger part in helping that come into realisation? 

To be a little fairer to the whitecaps they at least blocked one pathway with a canadian journeyman in dejong and also made their own bit part willing journeyman in Teibert. So half way there.

On a Jacobsen aside. I don' think there was anyone in the squad or a Canadian available that would offer what he did in terms or his playing level, height (which they lacked), experience and versatility. 

22 hours ago, gator said:

I never thought I would say this but I am looking forward to watching some Impact matches this season due to all of the Canadians who may see playing time, not buying the jersey though!:lol:

I'm so conflicted because I love watching them lose but if they start a bunch of Canadians I'd feel bad cheering against a team that actually plays their Canadians.

I hope they play well but lose every game?

21 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

As we promptly gift-wrapped him for other teams to take, this belongs in the "What have you done for me lately?" category for TFC as far as I'm concerned. They have signed Liam Fraser to the first team which helps, but I would still like to see them do more, including getting more playing time for Hamilton & Chapman this year. The glut of midfield departures thus far should help the latter at least.

12 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I'm so conflicted because I love watching them lose but if they start a bunch of Canadians I'd feel bad cheering against a team that actually plays their Canadians.

I hope they play well but lose every game?

hahaha. pretty much my sentiment. I want the Canadian players to do well, but I want IMFC to win the Wooden Spoon

I want to see all the Canadian teams do well and make the playoffs, playing Canadians along the way. The more players we have getting "big game" experience at a reasonably high level (like MLS), the better they will be mentally/experience-wise in World Cup Qualifying and Gold Cups. That will do more for Canada's national team than anything I expect that Herdman's motivational approach will be able to achieve.

I'd love to see an all-Canadian MLS Cup Final and would love a Montreal-Toronto Eastern Conference final every year.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'd love to see an all-Canadian MLS Cup Final and would love a Montreal-Toronto Eastern Conference final every year.

If that happened, I think MLS/USSF would finally be looking into getting of the Can teams :D

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

As we promptly gift-wrapped him for other teams to take, this belongs in the "What have you done for me lately?" category for TFC as far as I'm concerned. They have signed Liam Fraser to the first team which helps, but I would still like to see them do more, including getting more playing time for Hamilton & Chapman this year. The glut of midfield departures thus far should help the latter at least.

I thought Spencer didn’t get signed giving Hamilton that 3rd or 4th attacking spot with Rickets 

19 minutes ago, Oranje said:

I thought Spencer didn’t get signed giving Hamilton that 3rd or 4th attacking spot with Rickets 

there was a report earlier today that Spencer is going to be re-signed to TFC, there just working out the contract. 

That makes Jozy, Seba, Ricketts, Hamilton, Akinola, Spencer...and a possible future signing.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

there was a report earlier today that Spencer is going to be re-signed to TFC, there just working out the contract. 

That makes Jozy, Seba, Ricketts, Hamilton, Akinola, Spencer...and a possible future signing.

Maybe the Montreal Impact could trade forward Nick DePuy to Toronto FC in return for Hamilton. Montreal needs a good backup for Jackson-Hamel, and DePuy might be a good fit with Toronto because he's an American...

33 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Maybe the Montreal Impact could trade forward Nick DePuy to Toronto FC in return for Hamilton. Montreal needs a good backup for Jackson-Hamel, and DePuy might be a good fit with Toronto because he's an American...

Don't MTL have Mancosu?

On 1/20/2018 at 10:59 AM, Chad_Impact said:

Apparently the Impact have been in contact with James. 

Wow! MTL quickly being CMNT2 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:18 PM, hamiltonfan said:

dude give our guys some credit...

On 1/20/2018 at 5:28 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Piette worked out pretty well. Same for Ricketts at TFC and DeJong at VWFC.

+1

I think he'd be a very good fit for MLS... hope he get's signed and hope he can excel here! 

• 4 months later...

He's going to Denmark, signing for FC Midtjylland, but will be loaned to FC Fredericia for the upcoming season. A Canadian international spending a season at the age of 25 in the Danish 2nd division. Yay?

Edited by Vince193

1 minute ago, Vince193 said:

He's going to Denmark, signing for FC Midtjylland, but will be loaned to FC Fredericia for the upcoming season. A Canadian international spending a season at the age of 25 in the Danish 2nd division. Yay?

Yay is right, he got a 4 year deal, and likely gets starting minutes in a new environment. 

I think this is a great move. The loan will be at a level I think he can do well at while getting adjusted to the new style and language. FC Midtjylland is a big team in Denmark now and are consistently competing in Europe. Hopefully James does well on loan and can be a big part of Midtjlland's backline for the next 3 years of his contract. This is a big step up for him. Lets not forget he was playing on a bad team in Hungary before this.