Jump to content
IceCreamMan

Manjrekar James

Recommended Posts

He was miraculously subbed in.

 

No idea what his actual position was, but it certainly wasn't a CB. He was running to the opposition box. He might've been playing as a CM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nate3322 said:

I think that moving would be a smart idea for him. I really don't understand why sign a contract extension with Midtjylland. 

According to sofascore, he was subbed in for Anders Dreyer, who was playing RM. kind of weird, im assuming there was a formation change when he went on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nate3322 said:

I think that moving would be a smart idea for him. I really don't understand why sign a contract extension with Midtjylland. 

Exactly especially when playing there his career is really going nowhere, fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nate3322 said:

I think that moving would be a smart idea for him. I really don't understand why sign a contract extension with Midtjylland.

Well he played today, so...

Plus FCM is one of the top teams in Denmark. Very good level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’ve always thought he was the best of our CBs when wearing the Canadian shirt - steady, solid all around skills and no glaring weaknesses like the others. Shame his club career hasn’t progressed.

Edited by Floortom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

There's always a catch...

The slight catch is that he isn't playing as a CB, He's been subbing in as a midfielder. Can obviously still play as a CB, but there might still been a possibility of rust there.

 

On 10/2/2019 at 12:41 AM, Colliedor said:

Didn't he use to play as a DM? Perhaps he needs to revert back to get minutes and prove his versatility?

Called it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Floortom said:

I’ve always thought he was the best of our CBs when wearing the Canadian shirt - steady, solid all around skills and no glaring weaknesses like the others. Some his club career hasn’t progressed.

I remain unconvinced with James. Yes I also hope he can continue earning minutes because he clearly has ability and we need CB depth.
 

However, to say he is "steady" is an assessment I would have to disagree with. He has made a lot of mistakes for Canada.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORnNNCHf24?t=1m14s

Go to 1:14

(bonus footage of Godinho doing Godinho things...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I remain unconvinced with James. Yes I also hope he can continue earning minutes because he clearly has ability and we need CB depth.
 

However, to say he is "steady" is an assessment I would have to disagree with. He has made a lot of mistakes for Canada.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORnNNCHf24?t=1m14s

Go to 1:14

(bonus footage of Godinho doing Godinho things...)

This is a scrutinized assessment. If you do this with James,  then you can/should do this with every CB - especially with our "#1 CB" in Henry. 

I do think when James played for NT, that he was better than Henry, and 1 of our best all-round CBs...like someone mentioned above, it's just weird how his club football took a little break. Let's hope this is a sign of him getting back to playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I remain unconvinced with James. Yes I also hope he can continue earning minutes because he clearly has ability and we need CB depth.
 

However, to say he is "steady" is an assessment I would have to disagree with. He has made a lot of mistakes for Canada.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORnNNCHf24?t=1m14s

Go to 1:14

(bonus footage of Godinho doing Godinho things...)

I actually thought of this one play when I was writing that. I also seem to remember another gaffe in our loss in WCQ at Honduras.

clearly he’s not perfect - far from it. But his competition, namely Henry,  could fill a blooper reel with ease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I actually thought of this one play when I was writing that.

Funny enough, I was about to post the same thing. All I could remember in recent memory from him was that play, though I forgot how bad that was overall. Crepeau really needs to hold that and Godinho needs to...not do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shway said:

This is a scrutinized assessment. If you do this with James,  then you can/should do this with every CB - especially with our "#1 CB" in Henry. 

I do think when James played for NT, that he was better than Henry, and 1 of our best all-round CBs...like someone mentioned above, it's just weird how his club football took a little break. Let's hope this is a sign of him getting back to playing.

I have been critical of Henry recently, despite defending him (excuse the pun) in the past. The mistake against Cuba in nations league was the last straw for me.

I want to emphasize that Henry and James can both have a role in our team, but I will not turn a blind eye to the risks with both of them.

If you want me to scrutinize another CB, I will point out that Cornelius slipped on the grass in the second Barbados game, resulting in a goal. I can forgive slipping on the grass. I can't recall any other big errors he made in a Canada shirt. Miller also has been pretty much mistake free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

James is probably playing midfield with his club because they know all too well that he is capable of turnovers in the centre back position. 

James played defensive midfield in Hungary as well, so is he really playing out of position here.

I think he has the tools to be a good centre back, so I understand why he's played there for us. We have a dearth of options. I don't think he'd get into the Canadian team as a defensive midfielder.

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought James was pretty solid when he played CB under Floro and made a difference when he was subbed in for Vitoria vs Jamaica in the GC quater finals under OZ. He even scored away vs Honduras in SPS  during WCQ. Not much playing time with his clubs over the past few years, other than in the Danish 2nd Division .  If he can start consistently either with his current team or on loan he has the ability to bolster our back line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

All centre backs make errors it seems. Even Liverpool has centrebacks who make the odd error (Lovren). 

 

Yes of course, but the best centre backs make the fewest errors. James and Henry have great attributes, but they also make the most mistakes. I really hope both can learn to be more dependable, but they are both 27 years of age so I am not so optimistic either will reach their potential. I do remain hopeful though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

All centre backs make errors it seems. Even Liverpool has centrebacks who make the odd error (Lovren). 

I always think of CB in terms of baseball fielders.  The guy who wins the gold glove for best fielder may have more errors than the other players.  Say a short stop has some throwing errors, but he has the tools to get to way more balls in the hole than other SS, so overall his play is better even with some throwing errors.  Think Ozzie Smith back in the 80's.  Same with a outfielder, if he runs like the wind and chases down fly balls that another fielder wouldnt even get close to then you can put up with some errors in other parts of the game.

The CB can make errors that are game changers and they rightly get **** for them.  But a CB can not track runs, close down their man, be soft in the air, not communicate with his partner/keeper so they look bad, things that happen 100 times a game that arent glaring.  The Barbados play is perfect example, James made the first mistake, but no one would care except there were 3 more mistakes after that leading to a goal.  That play made the whole back line look bad, including Miller, who let the Barbados player past him and then didnt stop the cross.  And it all shouldnt have matter because that was no penalty, HAHA.  And Henry's mistake against Cuba?? Wasnt that a slip and didnt he force a turnover and eventually score that game??  

For me James usually played well for Canada, and would be able to give some cover to an older slower CB partner.  And he was a threat to score.  i always thought he moved the ball well and should be in the mix, if he is getting time at his club.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like he might just be playing at a club that is too high of a level for him. Would be nice if he could go to a smaller club in the same league and get playing time week in and week out. Seems like we went from very poor level of play to too high a level of play too quickly perhaps. It’s hard to compare him to players like Cornelius at club level because I’d have to think Midtjylland is a much more difficult side to get into than many MLS clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Bison44 said:

And Henry's mistake against Cuba?? Wasnt that a slip and didnt he force a turnover and eventually score that game??

Henry's mistake against Cuba was getting sent off when it was 1-0 in the 55th minute. I looked up the highlights but they are terrible. It was apparently a second yellow (I didn't remember that) that from the replay this shows looked maybe a bit soft, but probably too aggressive for someone already on a yellow. I can't remember if his first yellow was stupid or not. I just remember that like Obinna, it was the last straw for me. I have a Henry jersey and I have defended him for years, but that was it for me. I hope he can cut out the mistakes, but I'll believe it when I see it.

 

Edited by Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right Kent..I was thinking of the gold cup and another Henry mistake>  If I cant keep them straight then you are probably right, thats way too many gaffs.  Maybe I have had Henry blinders on too long.  That one was a 100% avoidable and a selfish play that a vet like him shouldnt take a chance on.  Depending on Cornelius, James, Vittoria doesnt make me feel much better though.  Hopefully James can impress in these cameos and get back into the CB spot at his club.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You are right Kent..I was thinking of the gold cup and another Henry mistake>  If I cant keep them straight then you are probably right, thats way too many gaffs.  Maybe I have had Henry blinders on too long.  That one was a 100% avoidable and a selfish play that a vet like him shouldnt take a chance on.  Depending on Cornelius, James, Vittoria doesnt make me feel much better though.  Hopefully James can impress in these cameos and get back into the CB spot at his club.  

Miller is the solution to Henry, James, Vittoria, Cornelius and James.  Yes he's young, but he's got the most potential of the bunch.  Inexperienced, yes.  However, so calm and athletic.  He seems to be learning soo quickly.  He makes the cut for me.  We know the other 5 will make mistakes and don't seem to learn from them.  At least in Miller's case he's got an excuse (age), and we can hope he develops into the badly needed CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...