Manjrekar James

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

With our firepower on offense, at home against Cuba...Herdman still cant take a chance on working in a young CB?  When would a better chance be? Did he learn nothing from throwing Godinho to the wolves in GC? 

James should have been at the GC so he is a for sure pick, Henry might miss the next camp as he is injured now, Vancouver wont want to send Cornelius is Henry is still injured as well.  I am thinking James and Miller, or maybe call Gasparatto/Kennedy/Montgomery/Comsia or TMG.  Pick one from that pot and one from the old geezer pot and let James play both matches.  

Vancouver at least isn't in a playoff push, they are all but eliminated at this point. So maybe with them playing out the string there won't be much resistance to them honouring FIFA dates.

Also, I'm not sure I follow the logic regarding lessons learned from the Gold Cup. We had an inexperienced full back in a game where we were up 2-0 in the second half and we collapsed. So that means we should put an inexperienced centre back in a must win match? Sure, maybe a home match against Cuba seems like an easy win, but so does a game against Haiti up 2 goals with 45 minutes to go.

^^ 

When exactly is there going to be a game with less or no pressure?? We dont play friendlies.   Damn near all these nations games are now must win.  The cuba game at home should be the least pressure, most winable game we are going to have in the next couple years.  If we dont give a younger guy a chance here or a younger keeper, then there will never be a chance.  In a few months against the USA it wouldnt take much (an injury here or there) for our CB options to be guys we havnt played in years (Hainault, Straith, Edgar), or someone like Miller with basically no experience.    

And you are making it sound like Godinho subbed in at halftime, he was there when it was going good as well.  I am saying getting some of these young guys who we might have to count on later into these "easier" games, they wont shit the bed in the future.    

19 hours ago, Reign said:

Agreed. Zator is the center piece of the best defence in the CPL.

I agree, Zator has been a rock. He deserves to be considered as CanMNT depth at CB.

He should see minutes with Miller against Cuba. I disagree that we should go back to Haineault, Jakovic and others... we have to get our younger guys some National team experience.

Cuba games is a massive opportunity to get them some minutes 

1st Game (Cuba @ Cayman Islands)

Adekugbe----James----Cornelius----Cordova

Subs: Zator 

See how James performs for 90 minutes and see if there's chemistry with Cornelius

Replace Cornelius for Zator when the game is out of reach, see how he does

With Bayern playing Davies at LB & Wing, you play Davies at Wing until Bayern turn him into a solid LB. Until then, play him at the strongest position 

2nd game (Cuba in Toronto)

Adekugbe----Cornelius----James---ZBG

Sub: Miller 

Sub out James for Miller. See how he plays with Cornelius

Keeping Davies up front. Let Bayern turn him into a LB or we show them that up front is the best place for him. 

I'd put Gasparatto as 3rd depth player after Zator and Miller

Against the USA, just stick with your strongest defensemen 

Edited by Ansem
Forgot Adekugbe, Keep Henry on rest for USA

I don't think the upcoming games this year are the time to try new CBs.  If we are knocked out of CNL, we will have 2 friendly windows in March and June next year for that. 

For now, we are stuck with James, Henry, Cornelius and Miller, with Straith and Edgar as veteran options.  To be fair, Henry and Cornelius did ok at the Gold Cup.  Regardless of playing time, James is one of our best, that's why he's in a European first division. Playing time is important, but when youre as thin as we are, you make compromises.

Full back is a different story.  Adekugbe, Cordova, Laryea and Morgan all need to be given a chance asap.

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I don't think the upcoming games this year are the time to try new CBs.  If we are knocked out of CNL, we will have 2 friendly windows in March and June next year for that. 

For now, we are stuck with James, Henry, Cornelius and Miller, with Straith and Edgar as veteran options.  To be fair, Henry and Cornelius did ok at the Gold Cup.  Regardless of playing time, James is one of our best, that's why he's in a European first division. Playing time is important, but when youre as thin as we are, you make compromises.

Full back is a different story.  Adekugbe, Cordova, Laryea and Morgan all need to be given a chance asap.

With Henry out injured, I would prefer to see a combination of James, Cornelius & Miller as our primary 3 center backs.

I also agree with the outside backs.  Assuming Davies & Kaye are not playing Defense.  I would have ZBG & Laryea as RB options and Adekugbe & Cordova for LB options (Cordova can cover both sides).  Morgan has experience with Canada but has seen very little game time this year and looked quite poor when playing in my opinion. 

Laryea on the other hand has been a great surprise.  Despite officially signing for Toronto the first week of the season he has already played nearly 300 minutes more than ZBG and he's featured in 11 of the past 12 Toronto FC games dating back to May.

24 minutes ago, Corazon said:

With Henry out injured, I would prefer to see a combination of James, Cornelius & Miller as our primary 3 center backs.

I also agree with the outside backs.  Assuming Davies & Kaye are not playing Defense.  I would have ZBG & Laryea as RB options and Adekugbe & Cordova for LB options (Cordova can cover both sides).  Morgan has experience with Canada but has seen very little game time this year and looked quite poor when playing in my opinion. 

Laryea on the other hand has been a great surprise.  Despite officially signing for Toronto the first week of the season he has already played nearly 300 minutes more than ZBG and he's featured in 11 of the past 12 Toronto FC games dating back to May.

Depending on Hutchinson's injury that may not be an option.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Depending on Hutchinson's injury that may not be an option.

He needs to play CM anyways in my opinion.  The best Canadian in the MLS this year as a starting central midfileder for the best team in the league.  And then add in the fact hes doing it at an American MLS club makes it that much more impressive.  Him and Arfield currently need to be in the CM in my opinion.  Depending on the specific game tactics, Piette or Osorio would be the other for me.  If Atiba does continue to play for the NT and also when Eustaquio becomes healthy then there will be some tougher decision to make.  Because of our central midfield depth going forward I still see David as striker or winger even though hes currently been playing a lot CM with Gent.  

Edited by Corazon

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

He needs to play CM anyways in my opinion.  The best Canadian in the MLS this year as a starting central midfileder for the best team in the league.  And then add in the fact hes doing it at an American MLS club makes it that much more impressive.  Him and Arfield currently need to be in the CM in my opinion.  Depending on the specific game tactics, Piette or Osorio would be the other for me.  If Atiba does continue to play for the NT and also when Eustaquio becomes healthy then there will be some tougher decision to make.  Because of our central midfield depth going forward I still see David as striker or winger even though hes currently been playing a lot CM with Gent.  

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Plus, I would much rather play Alphonso Davies at LB. He's been doing well there at Bayern and he could be useful in shutting down Pulisic when we meet the Americans in nations league.

And with Adekugbe coming back, hopefully, we'll have a useful option at left back from the get-go, allowing us to play Davies up front.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

I'd put Gasparatto as 3rd depth player after Zator and Miller

Lol

I just don't see it man. Maybe he earns a cap one day, but I think he's further away now than when he was playing in Scotland. Hasn't he been responsible for multiple own goals this year?

As for Zator, the homer in me wants to back you up on that, but I agree with @BrennanFan, this is not an ideal time to test central defenders.

I expect little change unless injury demands it. Adekugbe for Morgan maybe and I really hope Herdman drops Godinho for Cordova. We need solutions at full back and Marcus just moved to Germany. Let him settle.

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

^^ 

When exactly is there going to be a game with less or no pressure?? We dont play friendlies.   Damn near all these nations games are now must win.  The cuba game at home should be the least pressure, most winable game we are going to have in the next couple years.  If we dont give a younger guy a chance here or a younger keeper, then there will never be a chance.  In a few months against the USA it wouldnt take much (an injury here or there) for our CB options to be guys we havnt played in years (Hainault, Straith, Edgar), or someone like Miller with basically no experience.    

And you are making it sound like Godinho subbed in at halftime, he was there when it was going good as well.  I am saying getting some of these young guys who we might have to count on later into these "easier" games, they wont **** the bed in the future.    

I didn't mention it, but I'm not automatically against a new CB seeing game time against Cuba, but I just don't think the Godinho argument will help make your point. Keep in mind Godinho had even played against New Zealand as well as our 2 wins in the Gold Cup, so even if he is the example for whoever debuts against Cuba, that experience doesn't make them trustworthy for this cycle.

Another disclaimer, I don't blame Godinho for the loss, just one of the goals against us that game.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

I didn't mention it, but I'm not automatically against a new CB seeing game time against Cuba, but I just don't think the Godinho argument will help make your point. Keep in mind Godinho had even played against New Zealand as well as our 2 wins in the Gold Cup, so even if he is the example for whoever debuts against Cuba, that experience doesn't make them trustworthy for this cycle.

Another disclaimer, I don't blame Godinho for the loss, just one of the goals against us that game.

Disclaimer: I hate to use the word "blame", and I like Herdman.  That being said, Godinho was involved in all 3 goals against us.  If we don't blame him, the only other option is Herdman for playing Godinho over ZBG.  It wasn't a team loss, most of the team played fairly well overall and had things under control.  A few guys made mistakes here and there which is normal.  Godinho left brain farts all over the field, Herdman saw and let it happen.   Ya, i'm still bitter.

I'll lose my shit if Herdman names him to the roster next round of games.  Knowing his style and character, I feel he won't leave Godinho off the roster, out of fear of the mental consequences it'll have on his development.   

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

Disclaimer: I hate to use the word "blame", and I like Herdman.  That being said, Godinho was involved in all 3 goals against us.  If we don't blame him, the only other option is Herdman for playing Godinho over ZBG.  It wasn't a team loss, most of the team played fairly well overall and had things under control.  A few guys made mistakes here and there which is normal.  Godinho left brain farts all over the field, Herdman saw and let it happen.   Ya, i'm still bitter.

I'll lose my **** if Herdman names him to the roster next round of games.  Knowing his style and character, I feel he won't leave Godinho off the roster, out of fear of the mental consequences it'll have on his development.   

I would be disappointed if Godinho is not dropped. I think Cordova should replace him. It may be good for Godinho to remain with his club too, for his own sake.

Herdman dropped that line with Tabla, saying it was critical for him to establish himself at his club. The same should hopefully apply to Godinho.

12 hours ago, costarg said:

If we don't blame him, the only other option is Herdman for playing Godinho over ZBG.  It wasn't a team loss, most of the team played fairly well overall and had things under control. 

You're assuming here ZBG would have done better, which we don't know. The truth is we're very thin at RB, and I'm not sure Cordova will be better cause I haven't seen him play. 

45 minutes ago, Reign said:

Haworth is not CMNT quality. ^

By not CMNT quality do you mean he'd lose by more than 8-1 against Honduras? We pick the best man for the position and he could be in that conversation based upon his play. I would still choose Cordova and ZBG over him though.

Haworth looked pretty good to me against Toronto FC

Not sure to what degree Herdman is following him though. It was thrown out there on the broadcast that he was, but it sounded a lot like speculation rather than a matter-of-fact. I find it hard to imagine Herdman choosing him over Cordova or another young full back.

Funny how we are discussing this in a thread about James, a center back.

You know full back is more concerning than center back when the discussions have permeated to here!