Saturday, June 6

Canada vs. China

Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton

Starting line-up

McLeod,

Belanger,Buchanan,Moscato,Chapman

Fleming,Scott, Schmidt Lawrence,

Leon Sinclair

I hope to see Fleming get the start. Lawrence over Kyle after how she performed in Hamilton.

If Wilkinson is fit Belanger up top instead of Leon

Betting odds at one site are CAN 1.50 3.80 7.5 CHI

Canada starting XI: McLeod, Buchanan, Belanger, Sesselmann, Scott, Sinclair ©, Schmidt, Tancredi, Chapman, Filigno, Lawrence.

China starting XI: W. Fei, L. Shanshan, W. Haiyan ©, L. Dongna, W. Shanshan, L. Ying, Z. Rong, G. Yasha, T. Ruyin, W. Lisi, R. Guixin.

Pitch looks fantastic! :P

That elbow to the head is called 9 times out of 10 if its not in the box. A foul is a foul, that doesnt change if its inside the box or outside. Elbow/arm to the head is a foul. Right call. Thats how she goes.

Canada couldnt do anything with their possesion. Gunna have to pick it up if they want to make the semis.

That elbow to the head is called 9 times out of 10 if its not in the box. A foul is a foul, that doesnt change if its inside the box or outside. Elbow/arm to the head is a foul. Right call. Thats how she goes.

Canada couldnt do anything with their possesion. Gunna have to pick it up if they want to make the semis.

The Canadian forward hooked her arm so that it would come up like that. That's a classic striker trick and should actually have been a foul the other way.  

Spanish commentators both said it was a clear penalty and was right to be given.

So fair enough, but it was made easier by the ref being in Canada before Canada fans.

And yes, after winning the Champions League this Barça club member went to the Ramblas to celebrate in pure chaos, came back, and ended up watching the end of Canada-China. 

Spanish commentators both said it was a clear penalty and was right to be given.

So fair enough, but it was made easier by the ref being in Canada before Canada fans.

And yes, after winning the Champions League this Barça club member went to the Ramblas to celebrate in pure chaos, came back, and ended up watching the end of Canada-China. 

My impression at the beginning of the game was that the ref wasn't calling penalties against China to prove that she wasn't a homer.  Things started to get a bit testy after that, and she reined things in.  Overall, I'm okay with the officials' performance, but I would not call them on Canada's side in that game.

The Canadian forward hooked her arm so that it would come up like that. That's a classic striker trick and should actually have been a foul the other way.

The cdn player hooked her arm after the chineese player had already made contact with the cdn players face. The arm hook was not what resulted in the chineese player making contact witht the cdns face.

Have a look at the slow mo alternate angle shot of the incident as 40 seconds in the link i have provided. you can see the hooked arm happens after the initial foul on the cdn.

Right call. Cant have your arm out extended like that head level. Just asking for trouble.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/canada-win-world-cup-opener-thanks-to-stoppage-time-pen-1709578113

This was a type of match we see regularly at a men's world cup. Usually Canada flops in these type of matches while the Italys of the world always manage to get a result. Well, we got a result this time which is progress.

But the Italys of the world usually apply more pressure while Canada didn't get too many free kicks near the penalty area or corner kicks. Filigno is too weak on the ball and Tancredi seems past her prime. And the rest ex Buchanan didn't play as well as they could. Was also surprised Herdman didn't change tactics in the 2nd half.

Canada was the better team throughout the match. I noticed in both matches that crosses just wouldn't curl, I'm not sure why that is. Our ladies definitely had the momentum in the final few, penalty or not I'd like to believe we would have achieved the result.

Archived