Montreal Pre-Game - June 15

Cblake

Was wondering if a plan had been made for pre-game in Montreal on June 15. I am getting into town around noon game day.

One idea I had was hitting up either McLeans or Peel Pub as they are centrally located downtown right near the train station, we could then have a March straight up Peel to the the subway and take it to the Big O, where it exits right into the stadium.

Thoughts, Ideas, plans etc.?

The official pre-game will probably be at Bar 99, but there may be a group of people that get together at McLeans or Peel Pub earlier in the day. 

EDIT: For those who don't know Bar 99 is about a 5 minute walk from the Big O

Bar 99 would seem to make the most sense. Though I have a feeling we'll find our way downtown after the match...

I don't like that ellipsis. We all know that Lord Bob will go straight back to sleep and that I'm preparing my secret bag of Blackdude special.

Has pre-game for Montreal next Monday been finalized, after my lunch at Schwartz I will likely have some early beer at McLeans before heading east to this 99 place if everyone is going and watch Germany blowout Thailand/ Norway Ivory Coast. Looking forward to a great day.

CBlake..just don't wear any 1% badges and you will be okay at Bar 99, there is a reserve on the Glen Fiddich though, so if you want scotch you will probably need to go with St. Leger or Jameson.

My main concern with 99 was with it being that far out east in Montreal, my complete lack of the french language could be an issue LOL, but I am sure I will be ok !! Looking forward to it.

Can't wait to go! I'll be the pre-game with a couple buddies. And idea hoe many tickets have been sold for the game?

Going solely by what is available on the Ticketmaster site and assuming that what is not available has been sold, it looks like the lower bowl is mostly sold out with only a few places where tickets are available. They have opened up some of the upper bowl sections for sales which were not available earlier in the week. The lower bowl probably holds around 30 000.

My main concern with 99 was with it being that far out east in Montreal, my complete lack of the french language could be an issue LOL, but I am sure I will be ok !! Looking forward to it.

The staff at 99 are all bilingual.

Also since you and many others are interested in smoked meat, Schwartz's is ok but not the best smoked meat in Montreal although the restaurant does have some historical ambiance. The best meat by far is the Quebec Smoked Meat Products deli. They make the best smoked meat I have ever eaten. It is a bit off the beaten track and is a deli not a restaurant but you can buy sandwiches there (cheaper than Schwartz's) and it is not far from the Charlevoix metro (5 to 10 minute walk on rue Centre). They also have packaged smoke meat that you can buy to bring home as well as a lot of other high quality meat products. They close at 5:30 pm though so need to go during the day. Here is their website: http://www.viandefumeequebec.ca/en/ and some reviews: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjACahUKEwj1r5iyvIbGAhV1P4wKHeKPAAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yelp.com%2Fbiz%2Fqu%25C3%25A9bec-smoked-meat-montr%25C3%25A9al&ei=_OF4VfXBGvX-sATin4I4&usg=AFQjCNH2QdF4eAx1b_ehF0b0Uw3Z7TCKBQ&sig2=N3UefMPa5VDCUitlrrOPFQ&bvm=bv.95277229,d.cWc

The staff at 99 are all bilingual.

Also since you and many others are interested in smoked meat, Schwartz's is ok but not the best smoked meat in Montreal although the restaurant does have some historical ambiance. The best meat by far is the Quebec Smoked Meat Products deli. They make the best smoked meat I have ever eaten. It is a bit off the beaten track and is a deli not a restaurant but you can buy sandwiches there (cheaper than Schwartz's) and it is not far from the Charlevoix metro (5 to 10 minute walk on rue Centre). They also have packaged smoke meat that you can buy to bring home as well as a lot of other high quality meat products. They close at 5:30 pm though so need to go during the day. Here is their website: http://www.viandefumeequebec.ca/en/ and some reviews: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjACahUKEwj1r5iyvIbGAhV1P4wKHeKPAAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yelp.com%2Fbiz%2Fqu%25C3%25A9bec-smoked-meat-montr%25C3%25A9al&ei=_OF4VfXBGvX-sATin4I4&usg=AFQjCNH2QdF4eAx1b_ehF0b0Uw3Z7TCKBQ&sig2=N3UefMPa5VDCUitlrrOPFQ&bvm=bv.95277229,d.cWc

I'm going off topic but what are your thoughts on Smoked Meat Pete? A buddy who lives in Vaudreuil says it better than Schwartz's and Quebec Smoked Meat Products.

I'm going off topic but what are your thoughts on Smoked Meat Pete? A buddy who lives in Vaudreuil says it better than Schwartz's and Quebec Smoked Meat Products.

I have only been there a couple of times because if I call Quebec Smoked Meat off the beaten path, Smoked Meat Pete is in the wilderness. :)  It is even past the West Island on Ile Perrot (and very near to Vaudreuil so your friend may have a bit of a homer bias especially as there is not a lot out in those areas restaurant wise compared to Montreal so people are proud of what they have. I have not met one person from the West Island who doesn't rave about how good Pete's is because it is a good place in an area most Montrealais regard as a cultural/culinary desert and they know what we think :) ). Pete's is a cool place to hang out if you like smoked meat and blues (they have a lot of live shows). A lot of people say their meat is better than Schwartz's and I would agree. Some people are pretty negative about Schwartz's and call it a tourist trap and average quality but I don't think that is fair either. Schwartz's makes good smoked meat and it is the classic old traditional deli restaurant with the ambiance of an old restaurant that has been there for a long time. I still bring people there if they come to Montreal for the first time. On the other hand there is often a lineup to get in and also because of that they want to get you in and out so it is not a place to relax and eat your meal. And there are better and cheaper places so most of the time I don't bother going there unless I am with someone from out of town who wants the Schwartz's experience. Actually The Main across the road from Schwartz's has a similar level of smoked meat without the lineup or getting pushed out the door though I haven't been there since their recent change of ownership. Pete of Smoked Meat Pete's is the son of the original owner of The Main. Before I tried Pete's and Quebec Smoked Meat I had heard both had a good reputation. While I find Pete's good I do not find it exceptional either so I have to say I was a bit disappointed the first time I tried it because no Wow factor. Quebec Smoked Meat is really a fantastic quality of meat, the first time I tried it I was like Wow this is the best smoked meat I have ever had. There is a lot of difference in the ambiance though which can also effect people's judgement. Pete's is a cool place to hang out and listen to music and also is licensed so you can have a beer unlike the other two. Schwartz's is cool to see but you will wait in line and probably get pushed out of there if you hang around too long after finishing your meal. Quebec Smoked Meat is not a restaurant at all just a deli where you can only stand by a counter and eat your sandwich while they are selling sausages and other types of meat to various customers so not much in the ambiance category, just really good meat. By the way I live near to both Schwartz's and The Main but not QSM so I am not pushing the places of my hood. But hey take the smoked meat challenge and try all three and post your opinion but you will need a car to go to Pete's! 

/end of Grizzly's Smoked Meat Rant.

Since we're talking food, who wants to make a run to La Banquise post-match with me? I'm in Montreal for 36 hours or so, but I need either poutine or smoke meat and ideally both. And La Banquise is open all night, so I'm not going early or anything… 

Thanks for the tip on Quebec Smoked Meat Grizzly.

cheers,

matthew

I have only been there a couple of times because if I call Quebec Smoked Meat off the beaten path, Smoked Meat Pete is in the wilderness. :) It is even past the West Island on Ile Perrot (and very near to Vaudreuil so your friend may have a bit of a homer bias especially as there is not a lot out in those areas restaurant wise compared to Montreal so people are proud of what they have. I have not met one person from the West Island who doesn't rave about how good Pete's is because it is a good place in an area most Montrealais regard as a cultural/culinary desert and they know what we think :) ). Pete's is a cool place to hang out if you like smoked meat and blues (they have a lot of live shows). A lot of people say their meat is better than Schwartz's and I would agree. Some people are pretty negative about Schwartz's and call it a tourist trap and average quality but I don't think that is fair either. Schwartz's makes good smoked meat and it is the classic old traditional deli restaurant with the ambiance of an old restaurant that has been there for a long time. I still bring people there if they come to Montreal for the first time. On the other hand there is often a lineup to get in and also because of that they want to get you in and out so it is not a place to relax and eat your meal. And there are better and cheaper places so most of the time I don't bother going there unless I am with someone from out of town who wants the Schwartz's experience. Actually The Main across the road from Schwartz's has a similar level of smoked meat without the lineup or getting pushed out the door though I haven't been there since their recent change of ownership. Pete of Smoked Meat Pete's is the son of the original owner of The Main. Before I tried Pete's and Quebec Smoked Meat I had heard both had a good reputation. While I find Pete's good I do not find it exceptional either so I have to say I was a bit disappointed the first time I tried it because no Wow factor. Quebec Smoked Meat is really a fantastic quality of meat, the first time I tried it I was like Wow this is the best smoked meat I have ever had. There is a lot of difference in the ambiance though which can also effect people's judgement. Pete's is a cool place to hang out and listen to music and also is licensed so you can have a beer unlike the other two. Schwartz's is cool to see but you will wait in line and probably get pushed out of there if you hang around too long after finishing your meal. Quebec Smoked Meat is not a restaurant at all just a deli where you can only stand by a counter and eat your sandwich while they are selling sausages and other types of meat to various customers so not much in the ambiance category, just really good meat. By the way I live near to both Schwartz's and The Main but not QSM so I am not pushing the places of my hood. But hey take the smoked meat challenge and try all three and post your opinion but you will need a car to go to Pete's!

/end of Grizzly's Smoked Meat Rant.

Awesome input, thanks very much Grizz.

Going solely by what is available on the Ticketmaster site and assuming that what is not available has been sold, it looks like the lower bowl is mostly sold out with only a few places where tickets are available. They have opened up some of the upper bowl sections for sales which were not available earlier in the week. The lower bowl probably holds around 30 000.

That's awesome!!!

I want to try one of these places for smoked meat now everyone is talking about it!

Bar 99 is no longer serving food so we have arranged for Das Food Truck to set up in front of the bar. Das Food Truck has been voted Montreal's best food truck for the last two years. They cook German food such as schnitzel and curry wurst but also do poutine made with real gravy not the powdered gravy that most restaurants use. They will be serving food from 4 pm onward. Here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dasfoodtruck

Bar 99 is under new management and their beer selection has also improved a lot, ie. they now have good beer. The beer prices are still reasonable. 

Bar 99 is no longer serving food so we have arranged for Das Food Truck to set up in front of the bar. Das Food Truck has been voted Montreal's best food truck for the last two years. They cook German food such as schnitzel and curry wurst but also do poutine made with real gravy not the powdered gravy that most restaurants use. They will be serving food from 4 pm onward. Here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dasfoodtruck

Bar 99 is under new management and their beer selection has also improved a lot, ie. they now have good beer. The beer prices are still reasonable.

Wow! This sounds like a good time! I wish I could be there!

So a group of us are going to Parc Theodore on the corner of Theodore and Hochelaga before the pre-game just to kick a ball around a bit. It's really close to Bar 99 so we'll probably head over right at 4 for the start of the pre-game. Anyways everyone is welcome to come join and say hi! 

See you all tomorrow! 

I encourage everyone to show up as early as they can to 99 because I think it will be a good time there and it looks like many will show up at 4. The food truck will be there and serving by 4 pm. I am not 100% sure of this but I think they are going to have servers inside the bar, ie. you won't actually have to go out to the truck to order and get your food. As for 99 their pitcher price is a very reasonable $15 and they have 5 beers on tap: their own Bar 99 brand, Hops and Bolts by Mad and Noisy and Rickards Red, White and Blond. They also have the big bottles of beer (I think 710 ml) that are $7.50 for Molson beers and $6 for Belle Gueulle and Tremblay.

Archived