Goal Scorers Everywhere 2015-2016

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I CAN WRITE IN BIG WORDS TOO. NO HE DOESN'T. LARIN'S CLUB FORM IS HE SAME AS OCCEAN'S, BUT HEIS PLAYIG  AT A HIGHER LEVEL AND HE IS 13 YEARS YOUNGER AND ALREADY HAS GOOD CHEMISTRY WITH RICKETTS AND AKINDELE. HE HAS ALSO SCORED HALF AS MANY INT'L GOALS AS OCCEAN IN ONE THIRD OF THE GAMES AGAINST MOSTLY THE SAME QUALITY OF OPPOSITION. SO NO,OCCEAN DOESN'T. BUT LARIN DOES.

Does Larin have chemistry with Ricketts and Akindele? I don't think so. He's been good against Dominica.

Should Occéan start? Maybe

Occéan has at least scored against teams as good as El Salvador. Has Larin? No, but it's not why Occéan should start. Both should be in the 23 and fight for their spot. I don't care about age IMO. Both are playing fantastic football right now and should be called based on form. You never know what happens, injury, suspension and you want to have depth at every position. I do think that it's a pleasant problem to have multiple strikers filling the net at a good level.

Considering our World Cup qualifying campaigns usually last less than a year, I'm not sure why age should influence players selection. If someone is in form at club level it should be enough. We aren't building a club on the long term, we are just trying to get results in the next 2 games and probably for 6 more.

We could play with two strikers but that means one would need to be a deep lying or defensive forward who will need to create and contribute to midfield play, while the other would be relied upon to score. 

I don't think we have the correct forwards to play with two up top.  

When did Occean score against El Salvador?? He scored against N. Ireland, and Iceland, those are the two highest ranked teams he's scored against. And that was several years ago. I don't know if those teams were that good back then (I highly doubt Iceland was 23 in the world in 2007). Besides that, he has goals against Minnows. Like Larin and Akindele, who I would pick over him. And I would pick REB and Haber over him too because they both offer something unique, and Ricketts has evolved into a pretty durable Right sided forward, also scoring against minnows. So where exactly does he fit in the team?

He is a poacher, without service, we have a Larin who is older, slower and with a horrible first touch. And quite honestly, I think the level he is playing at... it's just not that good. I mean, Jordan Webb was prolific for long stretches. But no way it warranted a call up.

And as far as chemistry, betweent Akindele/Larin/Ricketts, part of that is based on watching them play, and part of it is based on comments they made themselves.

Our scoring problem clearly isn't finishing, it's the fact that we're too intimidated to play an offensive style. It's so F***ing annoying that we don't just take the risk and have some self belief. We have 2 players who finish well and we're too scared to actually try to put the ball in the net. Benito has to play with pride It's so frustrating watching this team play scared. F***ing P****** Jesus Christ F***. Sorry everyone i'm hammered. 

When did Occean score against El Salvador?? He scored against N. Ireland, and Iceland, those are the two highest ranked teams he's scored against. And that was several years ago. I don't know if those teams were that good back then (I highly doubt Iceland was 23 in the world in 2007).

And against who has Cyle Larin scored? Looking at the Gold Cup, Guatemala looked like minnows and lost to Cuba, so against who has he scored really? Occéan did put us in a spot that we were a draw and we're in the Hex, with that goal, but nobody's going to say that here because it was a "minnow" but Larin hasn't scored a goal against the big boys  for us yet. So, please chillax.

That's the thing I'm saying. Larin is good, but has shown little in the Gold Cup. Larin has scored against minnows also, but nobody says that. Occéan's doing more than scoring plus, he can take penalties. I don't know why people say oh he's too old. Occéan will be attached until the end 2017, so he's a player who has a future because in my mind: future= Hex. Sure, if we get eliminated from WCQ, I would stop calling him because of age, but we should call our best players,  and right now based on form, he's among the best 23  Canadian players we have. Occéan has done a good job in the June games in 2012. He didn't score, but gave us opportunities. He maybe didn't score, but he helped us in maintaining posession and Honduras had less chance beause of that.

And against who has Cyle Larin scored? Looking at the Gold Cup, Guatemala looked like minnows and lost to Cuba, so against who has he scored really? Occéan did put us in a spot that we were a draw and we're in the Hex, with that goal, but nobody's going to say that here because it was a "minnow" but Larin hasn't scored a goal against the big boys  for us yet. So, please chillax.

That's the thing I'm saying. Larin is good, but has shown little in the Gold Cup. Larin has scored against minnows also, but nobody says that. Occéan's doing more than scoring plus, he can take penalties. I don't know why people say oh he's too old. Occéan will be attached until the end 2017, so he's a player who has a future because in my mind: future= Hex. Sure, if we get eliminated from WCQ, I would stop calling him because of age, but we should call our best players,  and right now based on form, he's among the best 23  Canadian players we have. Occéan has done a good job in the June games in 2012. He didn't score, but gave us opportunities. He maybe didn't score, but he helped us in maintaining posession and Honduras had less chance beause of that.

Agree with everything here except one thing. I'd take it as far as saying that he's among the best 5 players based on club form. (I know you didn't say he wasn't, i'm just trying to make a point)

The only legitimate reason for not calling him up is if their is a rift between him and the CSA. Strongly believe that those who say we shouldn't drop Haber for Occean are influenced by the offside goal he scored against the Ticos because it was the only ball we put into the net in the Gold Cup. Those same people are forgetting that he didn't have the quality to put his best chance past the Costa Rican keeper in that tourney, I'm not looking past the fact that it was a tough chance, but this is international soccer... You need players capable of finishing the tough chances and Haber has not proven he can do that (I would argue the opposite, although I do respect that he always accepts the call regardless of what his club says). On club form Occean should be called up and nobody can argue that he shouldn't be called up unless they have already given up on Russia 2018. Be honest with yourself before you reply to this, are you thinking about this current world cup cycle because if you aren't your argument is irrelevant in this conversation.

When did Occean score against El Salvador?? He scored against N. Ireland, and Iceland, those are the two highest ranked teams he's scored against. And that was several years ago. I don't know if those teams were that good back then (I highly doubt Iceland was 23 in the world in 2007). Besides that, he has goals against Minnows. Like Larin and Akindele, who I would pick over him. And I would pick REB and Haber over him too because they both offer something unique, and Ricketts has evolved into a pretty durable Right sided forward, also scoring against minnows. So where exactly does he fit in the team?

He is a poacher, without service, we have a Larin who is older, slower and with a horrible first touch. And quite honestly, I think the level he is playing at... it's just not that good. I mean, Jordan Webb was prolific for long stretches. But no way it warranted a call up.

And as far as chemistry, betweent Akindele/Larin/Ricketts, part of that is based on watching them play, and part of it is based on comments they made themselves.

Akindele isnt a striker.

Ricketts played most of the season at right back. Hes ok against minnows but get dominated and looks like a track athlete playing soccer against half decent teams.

REB is more of a winger and not a prolific scorer in 3 Bundesliga.

Haber is good at heading and hold up. Occean is just as good at that and a better finisher.

Nobody says occean has to play over larin. Need both in camp competing for the right to play.

We're canada, we cant score and we're talking about leaving one of our most in form strikers in europe whose scoring in a decent scandanavian league as well as in europa league at home in favor of REB, Ricketts and Haber?

I have no problems with those players. Call them up too, and drop a guy like bekker. But occean should be there. Unless of course he and the CSA have severed ties which i hope isnt the case.

I've been hearing in this thread that Ricketts played RB last year but I can't find anything online about that.  I thought he played as a winger and center forward last year at Haifa.  If he really does play at RB and considering our program has no actual RB's I would have thought that we'd be talking about him moving there a lot.

I talked to a few American guys who played with Carl at Niagara University and they were always convinced that it was not if but when Carl would become a professional, and this was right after he wasn't given a contract at Montreal.  

Great that a club like Ottawa could give him that opportunity, we need more of those for Canadian players.  This is a guy who will definitely have a Canada call up in the future.  

Haworth is more of a winger than a striker right?  Although he's 26 now but you'd think he's starting to play his way into at least the January camp.  He's starting on a winning team at a good level (considering we have B3 and B4 players coming out for us sometimes).  I think the program should give more looks to the NASL guys.  The level of the league is improving and we have decent depth of player there.

Archived