CSA Finances 2015

jpg75

We used to have a thread(s) pinned dealing with CSA finances, but the last one was at least 5 years ago. Have not see "CoachRich" post in a while and he used to be the one to post the CSA Annual report with a spreadsheet and accounting of the CSA's finances. Anyways, i am hoping by starting this thread that someone who has access to the most recent CSA financials might post them here.

As of 2009-10 I believe the CSA had a cash surplus of $2M+ which had been gained largely from hosting the 2007 U20WC (which under GAAP had shown a small loss, but ended up putting money in the CSA's pockets), up until 2007 the CSA had a small debt in the low hundreds of thousands. With the WWC just around the corner it will be interesting to see how much money the CSA makes from this tournament. If all goes well i predict the windfall could be as much as $10M+. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some interesting numbers from an article in the Vancouver Sun:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/Women+World+party+coming+town/11041710/story.html

$89 million budget for the Women's World Cup and the 2014 U20 tournament. $15 million coming from the federal government and $2 million each from the hosting 6 provinces.

CSA wanted to get 6 national sponsors for the tournament, but were only able to get 3.

They were still a long way away from their goal of 1.5 million tickets sold. Last I heard, I think it was around 800,000.

• 1 month later...

Very sad to say but this is just another symptom of an ineffective organization. Why on earth would this information not be made public?

The CSA suits do not want to lose control and have to answer poignant questions.  They also may have some slush funds hidden in some accounts in their budget.

The annual report is available at the CSA site - the most recent is 2014 as you'd expect. WWC finances, should they choose to release them separately from the annual report would not normally be accurate until 4-6 weeks after the tourney, and likely longer as there are revenue splitting/sharing agreements with FIFA.

Edit: ah got it...you want the breakdown in dollars for the various categories - the actual statements rather than the graphical presentation using percentages and broad categories.

The CSA suits do not want to lose control and have to answer poignant questions. They also may have some slush funds hidden in some accounts in their budget.

We get it. You hate the CSA. Every post you make is to attack and bring down the CSA and socccer in canada.

First the womens having to play on turf. Then ripping on herdman and his incompetenices. Now the CSA and their "slush fund".

Pretty strong allegations you got there. Lets see the proof to back it up.

The annual report is available at the CSA site - the most recent is 2014 as you'd expect. WWC finances, should they choose to release them separately from the annual report would not normally be accurate until 4-6 weeks after the tourney, and likely longer as there are revenue splitting/sharing agreements with FIFA.

Edit: ah got it...you want the breakdown in dollars for the various categories - the actual statements rather than the graphical presentation using percentages and broad categories.

Exactly, i would like to see the line on the annual financial statements that says "Cash reserves" prior and post tournament.

Victor and his CONCACAF friends are instituting a new transparency regime at CONCACAF, including posting of budget and benefits, hope he extends that down to federations, so those who are against transparency at the CSA have to comply or they get slapped by CONCACAF.

• 3 months later...

Funny thing happened on the way to the bank a while back.  I bumped into king1010, I mean Victor Montagliani at the Scotiabank located at 510 Burrard St. Vancouver BC V6C 3A8 a couple of months ago.  The teller was giving him the high-roller treatment, which to me indicates he's got quite a few lira tucked away.  Kinda strange through, as Scotiabank isn't an official CSA sponsor, and for a guy who lives in Burnaby, it sure is a long way to go to a bank.

Anyways, being the nice guy that I am, I went to say, "Hi Vic."  Very surprisingly he lied to me.  He said that he would email me and he never has.  I have a very good friend who works at that branch and will see if he can provide a little freedom of information information.

Funny thing happened on the way to the bank a while back.  I bumped into king1010, I mean Victor Montagliani at the Scotiabank located at 510 Burrard St. Vancouver BC V6C 3A8 a couple of months ago.  The teller was giving him the high-roller treatment, which to me indicates he's got quite a few lira tucked away.  Kinda strange through, as Scotiabank isn't an official CSA sponsor, and for a guy who lives in Burnaby, it sure is a long way to go to a bank.

Anyways, being the nice guy that I am, I went to say, "Hi Vic."  Very surprisingly he lied to me.  He said that he would email me and he never has.  I have a very good friend who works at that branch and will see if he can provide a little freedom of information information.

thought you were stalking me for a second hehe 

Well, this is one of the dumber things I've read on this board recently...

We get it. You hate the CSA. Every post you make is to attack and bring down the CSA and socccer in canada.

First the womens having to play on turf. Then ripping on herdman and his incompetenices. Now the CSA and their "slush fund".

Pretty strong allegations you got there. Lets see the proof to back it up.

Bit of a double standard you got there king1010, considering Righteous Vic was so quick to go public, on behalf of Canada, and pass judgement on Sepp Blatter back in May:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canada-will-not-vote-for-sepp-blatter-for-fifa-president-1.3092127

Obviously, Don Vito does not respect being innocent till proven guilty.  Where's Vito's evidence that Sepp is guilty?  Pretty strong allegation coming from the president of a national soccer association, wouldn't you say?

While we're on the topic of political corruption in soccer, why is there no transparency when it comes to disclosure of CSA financial statements?  Does Righteous Vic have something to hide?  If not, why are we even having this discussion?  I wonder if Vic is still buddies with Platini, Beckenbauer et al?

Bit of a double standard you got there king1010, considering Righteous Vic was so quick to go public, on behalf of Canada, and pass judgement on Sepp Blatter back in May:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canada-will-not-vote-for-sepp-blatter-for-fifa-president-1.3092127

Obviously, Don Vito does not respect being innocent till proven guilty.  Where's Vito's evidence that Sepp is guilty?  Pretty strong allegation coming from the president of a national soccer association, wouldn't you say?

While we're on the topic of political corruption in soccer, why is there no transparency when it comes to disclosure of CSA financial statements?  Does Righteous Vic have something to hide?  If not, why are we even having this discussion?  I wonder if Vic is still buddies with Platini, Beckenbauer et al?

Is the CSA required to release their finances publicly? If not why are we even having this discussion?

that post was from over 4 months ago. I don't even remember what I said.

why are you even bringing that up? just to start an argument and bash victor?

this thread is dead to me. its the last thing on my mind. Im pumped for wcq in a week. not sure why this thread is even getting attention

that post was from over 4 months ago. I don't even remember what I said.

why are you even bringing that up? just to start an argument and bash victor?

this thread is dead to me. its the last thing on my mind. Im pumped for wcq in a week. not sure why this thread is even getting attention

Because Robert.

Because Robert.

Actually i bumped the thread because the economic impact report for the WWC was released yesterday. The financial windfall from the tournament should be of significant importance to anyone who cares about the game in this country.

Bingo!! Thank you very much dmc771

Actually i guess this is a year earlier but it's a start and quite enlightening.

CSA had $8.5M in GIC's by end of 2013 to go with about 2M in cash - 12M+ in assets! Revenue of 25M for 2013 with 7M+ in reg. fees and 7M monies for WWC. 4M+ in sponsorship and 2.8M in Sport Can grants. The WWC prep. for 2013 turned a 2M profit for CSA.

Bingo!! Thank you very much dmc771

Actually i guess this is a year earlier but it's a start and quite enlightening.

CSA had $8.5M in GIC's by end of 2013 to go with about 2M in cash - 12M+ in assets! Revenue of 25M for 2013 with 7M+ in reg. fees and 7M monies for WWC. 4M+ in sponsorship and 2.8M in Sport Can grants. The WWC prep. for 2013 turned a 2M profit for CSA.

I'm only able to see 4 of the 11 pages.  Hope you printed a copy of what your looking at.

Archived