Provincial Flags for WWC in Edmonton

Looking for some people willing to fly their province's flag during one or both games of the WWC. We've been reasonably successful getting a few flags together but have never had a full slate. Sometime people have flown the flag of their current province, sometimes their former province, and sometimes a provincial flag for someone who couldn't be there. Seeing as how it looks like the flags are going to be allowed in with flag poles, we should see if we could get all 10 in the supporters section. If the flag poles get blocked at the gate, we could always just bring the flags in and hang them at the rail.

June 6

BC -

AB - Madmonte

SK -

MB - Mrs C/Manic/Dal

ON - Mrs C/Clash/ OlyDEMars

QC -OlyDEMars

PE -

NS -

NB -

NL -

YT - Sport Shaman

NT -

NU -

June 11

BC -

AB - Madmonte

SK -

MN -

ON - OlyDEMars

QC -OlyDEMars

PE -

NS -

NB -

NL -

YT - Sport Shaman

NT -

NU -

Alberta is covered June 6th and 11th but I don't know the flagpole situation?

According to Mike we might be able to take in the plastic ones we bought for women's U20s. Between he and I we have enough for everyone.

If they get denied at the door, we take the flags off and ditch the poles.

Rob, I thought that at some point last year we had accumulated about 4 or 5 different provincial flags that had sort of ended up in your hands or someone else's as donations/items left behind. Was I imagining that or have those been reunited/reclaimed with their original owners. Kind of surprised we are only seeing madmonte step up with Alberta; thanks for that BTW.

Thanks for that Rob. Why don't you update the list with those that you have and then maybe we can hatch a plan on how to fund purchasing the rest. There is a flag supplier here in Edmonton that the ESG recently dealt with to get flags of every country that has a player on FC Edmonton and I think Segio got a pretty good price. If we buy all the rest of the provincial ones that we don't already have at one time and place we might be able to get a deal on the provincial ones as well. I kind of like the idea of getting the three territorial ones as well since I believe they deserve some recognition as well.

OK, curiosity got the better of me and I checked with the local supplier. They have stock on every province and territory in a 36" X 60" polyester (econo) flag and if we buy the remaining ones we need ( 9 or 10) we can get them for $16.95 a piece plus GST.  I am inclined to go ahead and purchase them and we will then have them for all future events.

Thoughts from the V collective??

The 3' X 5' size is what I had a quote for; I know that all you young fellows grew up with only the Metric system so the conversions in the Imperial system are hard, especially for a weights and measures guy. :D

BTW the retail on them ( the 3' X 5' or the 36" X 60" ) is normally $24.50 so I don't know how much cheaper they could get than what we were quoted. As far as funds go, I think that Jamie might have indicated that there was some Voyageur $$ available and if not we get four or five guys to pitch in for them and it's not that big a hit. 

That is what I was thinking too. That way the orphan flags can all go back to their original homes and we can have a complete set for now and going forward. All in for the 13 flags with GST works out to $231 so I will go ahead and get them and then check into whether we have a  Voyageurs budget for this.

I don't mind chipping in some money for this.  I am also willing to fly a flag on June 6th.  I spent my entire life in Ontario but have lived in Manitoba for the last 6 months so I could do either of those.

I don't mind chipping in some money for this. I am also willing to fly a flag on June 6th. I spent my entire life in Ontario but have lived in Manitoba for the last 6 months so I could do either of those.

You would be the first MB flag flyer since we started this but you need to pick what you feel like the most :)

Mike if you want I can look after publishing the small fundraising effort, collecting money, and organizing the flag bearers.

Have you heard anything about possible Vs funds?

For those who want to donate towards the flag purchase ($10 or $20 should be plenty) email me and we will arrange things. measure1rob@gmail.com

Thanks for that Rob. You might want to hold off a bit on the shake down/fundraising efforts as I only just now sent Jamie an EMail asking about certain Vs funds from prior merchandise sales. It's not for me to decide where that money goes but if that comes together it should cover it. On the other hand I will gladly hand over organizing the flag bearers to you. Put me down for one of the territorial ones, preferably the Yukon, since I think they are the most likely not to get chosen by someone else. 

Since there are others interested in Ontario and Manitoba I can carry a flag from an unclaimed province or territory if there is one.  I also have my own Canada flag though, so I could carry that.

Archived