2015 VCup Semifinal 1 Second Leg - Toronto vs. Montreal - May 13 [R]

That's what you saw? Most players that are time-wasting don't lie motionless for half a minute. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the ref that things are different from field level, but on TV it was clear right away that there was nothing fake about it. And the AR certainly should have indicated to the referee that Tissot was in trouble, as he was staring right at him along the end line.

In any case, Toronto were clearly the better team on the night, but I agree with Grizzly that it would have been a tough pill to swallow to lose on two goals that were scored while a man down.

I didn't say or think that Tissot was time wasting, I am suggesting what might have been in the referees mind since Grizzly indicated that it was "inexplicable" that the Ref did not stop play for Tissot to receive treatment off the field of play - an argument which might have more weight if the Impact were somehow prevented from administering treatment (they weren't) or if Tissot's own teammates had implored the Ref to check in in him (none of them seemed concerned - instead some were busy trying to claim that Altidore was offside). If his own teammates didn't seem overly bothered, difficult not to understand why the Ref wasn't - to be fair to his teammates, they could see he was receiving treatment from the training staff so they didn't really need to say anything.

The close-up on the HD screen right behind them made it look pretty serious.

Though perhaps the ref wasn't looking a the screen! And it might have not been very obvious from his angle.

I should hope he wasn't watching a replay on the screen while the game was on.

I should hope he wasn't watching a replay on the screen while the game was on.

Actually, I mean the live close-up shot of him lying there, before play resumed.  Though maybe I got the timing on that wrong after a couple of pints ...

But your right - the ref wouldn't and shouldn't be looking at the screen.

I didn't say or think that Tissot was time wasting, I am suggesting what might have been in the referees mind since Grizzly indicated that it was "inexplicable" that the Ref did not stop play for Tissot to receive treatment off the field of play - an argument which might have more weight if the Impact were somehow prevented from administering treatment (they weren't) or if Tissot's own teammates had implored the Ref to check in in him (none of them seemed concerned - instead some were busy trying to claim that Altidore was offside). If his own teammates didn't seem overly bothered, difficult not to understand why the Ref wasn't - to be fair to his teammates, they could see he was receiving treatment from the training staff so they didn't really need to say anything.

It is really incredible how every game you complain about how the refs are against TFC but if anyone mentions any calls that went the other way you are full of many (mostly poorly thought out) arguments about why that was not the case. The teammates were not imploring the ref to check on him because he started play right away so they hardly had time to check how he was doing trying to defend a man down. AND that is not the job of the players to be checking on the health of other players, that is the job of the ref and the assistant ref. 

In cases of serious injury the ref should stop play even if the player is off the field because 1) the health of the player is the primary concern and 2) it is not fair for the other team to be playing a man down in the case of a serious injury. There is no risk to the ref to take the time to check out the player because even if he finds out he was faking he can always add the extra time. And lets not forget that the player was injured by poorly placed advertising in the opponents stadium. Had TFC won the tie based on these two goals it would have been a major scandal and very unfair result.

And just to show how serious a danger it is of having boards too near the playing field, a player in the Argentine 4th division died last week after hitting his head on a cement wall that is too near the pitch:

It is really incredible how every game you complain about how the refs are against TFC but if anyone mentions any calls that went the other way you are full of many (mostly poorly thought out) arguments about why that was not the case. The teammates were not imploring the ref to check on him because he started play right away so they hardly had time to check how he was doing trying to defend a man down. AND that is not the job of the players to be checking on the health of other players, that is the job of the ref and the assistant ref. 

You suggest that my "argument" is poorly thought out and then you come up with this as a repsonse? You really think that even though the players have time to incorrectly object to the Ref about a play being off-side they didn't have time to say "hey, why don't you check on my teammate I think he's seriously injured". And you really think players don't care about the health of teammates because that's not their job?

The point being made is that nobody on the field (or the benches) seem to think or realize that the player was seriously injured, the Impact player's own actions were pointed out as an indicator of that. While the Ref was completely incompetent for both teams (something I said to begin with) his actions were explicable in this case.

The incident occurred a stone's throw from me and no one even knew Tissot was out of the play.  At the end of the game Tissot was having a word with the ref so that would explain it.  These things happen, I don't think it's as controversial as it's being made out to be.

Archived