Second leg: Toronto 3-2 Montreal

22' TOR Jozy Altidore

25' MTL Kenny Cooper

56' TOR Benoit Cheyrou

58' TOR Sebastian Giovinco

84' MTL Dominic Oduro

Aggregate: 3-3

Away goals: Montreal 2-0 Toronto

Hard to do anything but laugh at this result. Montreal showed, by their starting lineup choice, that they didn't much care whether they won the tie, but it took until Montreal was playing a man short and confused when Tissot was out for Toronto to take advantage. Then to concede the late goal to a former player...

And there is no way Tissot should have been allowed to keep playing, right? DPs played well today for TFC but the rest of the team is a mess. Bernier still has some class for Montreal.

Also, what is Montreal's preferred back 4 if everyone is available? Ciman cleaned up a lot of messes tonight, but Lefevre is clearly not MLS level and I can't imagine playing an NCAA rookie LB at RB and then a midfielder at LB is the long term plan.

Also, what is Montreal's preferred back 4 if everyone is available? Ciman cleaned up a lot of messes tonight, but Lefevre is clearly not MLS level and I can't imagine playing an NCAA rookie LB at RB and then a midfielder at LB is the long term plan.

Ciman was the only starter in the back 4 tonight.

Donny Toia (Injured)------ Laurent Ciman------- Bakery Soumare (Bench)------------Victor Cabrera (injured or Hassoun Camara (injured) Is the back 4 that featured in the CCL.

Cameroon international Ambroise Oyongo has obtained is visa, and is expected to help at left back.

I thought it was an exciting football match with lots of twists and turns, the Canadians who played did well overall! The Voyageurs Cup has come a long way, to think there are some who want to do away with it is disappointing!

Ultimately TFC paid the price for not caring about the first leg & not trying very hard to score in that leg - perhaps fitting that away goals did them in since they didn't try hard enough to get any of their own. Having said that, for tonight's game, as much I like supporting our Canadian players on MLS teams, I have no idea how Bernier managed to stay on the field for the whole game - he should have been sent off twice when the game was 3-1. Granted the Ref was horrible for both teams but that was particularly inexplicable.

Ultimately TFC paid the price for not caring about the first leg & not trying very hard to score in that leg - perhaps fitting that away goals did them in since they didn't try hard enough to get any of their own. Having said that, for tonight's game, as much I like supporting our Canadian players on MLS teams, I have no idea how Bernier managed to stay on the field for the whole game - he should have been sent off twice when the game was 3-1. Granted the Ref was horrible for both teams but that was particularly inexplicable.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Oduro used to kill Montreal when he was with the Crew, For those TFC fans who have made fun of him must be cringing now. 

This was much better than last week and the drama that V Cup games provide beat any MLS match.

Oduro has always been a very solid player. He creates a load of chances (he is a very under-rated passer), but his hit-or-miss finishing causes people to way underrate him (we can also call this 'Kekuta Manneh' syndrome). American Soccer Analysis actually had him as a top-15 offensive player in the league last year and Montreal got him for nothing. Great pickup by the Impact. Despite their awful record so far, I think this squad is better than that of the last couple of years.

Actually what was particularly inexplicable was there being no stoppage of play at all when Tissot was injured. Yes he was not lying on the field of play but general protocol when there are head injuries or even other types of possible serious injury is that the ref at least goes over and has a look and assesses the situation. FIFA is also currently considering stoppages in play for head injuries due to the difficulty of assessing them. It is unfair for any team to try to play down a man while a teammate may be seriously injured off the field. I am not sure whether Tissot should have continued playing or not. He must have got medical clearance to continue but during this time TFC scored 2 goals. He had a really strong game up to that point but seemed to disappear afterwards. It would have been very unfair had TFC advanced in the competition based on 2 goals scored in that manner.

I really can't understand the Hagglund for Morrow sub near the end of the game, when Vanney had an actual striker in Hamilton sitting on the bench. His attempted scissor kick near the end, well it basically looked like a CB trying to do a scissor kick

Vanney continually makes head scratching subs, I don't know if Osorio was gassed or Vanney just thought Creavelle would be a better option on the left, either way, it didn't work!

Actually what was particularly inexplicable was there being no stoppage of play at all when Tissot was injured. Yes he was not lying on the field of play but general protocol when there are head injuries or even other types of possible serious injury is that the ref at least goes over and has a look and assesses the situation. FIFA is also currently considering stoppages in play for head injuries due to the difficulty of assessing them. It is unfair for any team to try to play down a man while a teammate may be seriously injured off the field. I am not sure whether Tissot should have continued playing or not. He must have got medical clearance to continue but during this time TFC scored 2 goals. He had a really strong game up to that point but seemed to disappear afterwards. It would have been very unfair had TFC advanced in the competition based on 2 goals scored in that manner.

I agree play should have been stopped while he was laying behind the goal with what looked to be a head injury, there is always a potential of a ball hitting him where he was, i also agree he was having a very solid match! Where I disagree with you is about the result would have been unfair had TFC won, that was totally up to th Impact to determine whether Tissot was fit to continue or are you implying a FIFA directive should have ruled him out of the match? Anyway, it was a great match and a very good showcase for The Voyageur's Cup!

Actually what was particularly inexplicable was there being no stoppage of play at all when Tissot was injured. Yes he was not lying on the field of play but general protocol when there are head injuries or even other types of possible serious injury is that the ref at least goes over and has a look and assesses the situation.

I don't think the Ref knew it was a head injury and I don't think it was unreasonable for him not to realize that, I don't think anyone in the stadium could tell that either nor did it look particularly serious. We saw a player laying on the ground not clutching his head in agony or writhing in pain and we didn't have the benefit of replays (same with the Ref) - I only realized what it was when I got home & re-watched the highlights of the match. The Ref would have been watching the play where the ball had been crossed to, not necessarily looking to the aftermath of players who had spilled out of bounds. Given how often players go down easily to waste time it would have been bizarre for the Ref to stop play to get treatment for a player who is not in the field of play and who doesn't appear to be seriously injured.

I don't think the Ref knew it was a head injury and I don't think it was unreasonable for him not to realize that, I don't think anyone in the stadium could tell that either nor did it look particularly serious. We saw a player laying on the ground not clutching his head in agony or writhing in pain and we didn't have the benefit of replays (same with the Ref) - I only realized what it was when I got home & re-watched the highlights of the match. The Ref would have been watching the play where the ball had been crossed to, not necessarily looking to the aftermath of players who had spilled out of bounds. Given how often players go down easily to waste time it would have been bizarre for the Ref to stop play to get treatment for a player who is not in the field of play and who doesn't appear to be seriously injured.

That's what you saw? Most players that are time-wasting don't lie motionless for half a minute. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the ref that things are different from field level, but on TV it was clear right away that there was nothing fake about it. And the AR certainly should have indicated to the referee that Tissot was in trouble, as he was staring right at him along the end line.

In any case, Toronto were clearly the better team on the night, but I agree with Grizzly that it would have been a tough pill to swallow to lose on two goals that were scored while a man down.

Also, if ad hoardings are that inflexible, they should not be so near to the pitch.

The ref's number one responsibility is the safety of the players. Tissot didn't even move for a couple of minutes and in full view of the ref. The ref did not even take 20 seconds to go over and see if anything was wrong. He didn't even go over in the stoppage of play after the goal. Totally irresponsible on the part of the ref and it led to 2 Toronto goals and in other circumstances could have contributed to the serious injury of a player.

I don't think the Ref knew it was a head injury and I don't think it was unreasonable for him not to realize that, I don't think anyone in the stadium could tell that either nor did it look particularly serious. 

The close-up on the HD screen right behind them made it look pretty serious.

Though perhaps the ref wasn't looking a the screen! And it might have not been very obvious from his angle.

I really can't understand the Hagglund for Morrow sub near the end of the game, when Vanney had an actual striker in Hamilton sitting on the bench. His attempted scissor kick near the end, well it basically looked like a CB trying to do a scissor kick

We needed a goal, why wouldn't we bring on Hagglund?  He's almost scored a few times in his career and him and Gio connected off a few corners.. in one match.  

I was shocked.  Honestly, couldn't believe what I was witnessing... this club and it's managers want Hagglund to succeed at all costs it seems.  I've never heard anything but good things about him and I think he's pretty brutal honestly... maybe a NASL defender.  

Great turnout for a V cup match last night and a good display of skill from Giovinco, what a player.

Archived