Canadians abroad: May 8-14, 2015

DJT

Guidelines for this thread
  • In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for May 8-14, 2015.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Charlie Trafford SCORED the game winner in a 1-0 win over the big club HJK.

Really would like to see him with the NT, at least to see him up close. Really like him a lot. Seems destined for bigger things than the Finnish league.

I watched the entire Orlando game.  I know we have an MLS section but wow what a player we have.

Orlando was lobbing ball after ball long to Larin who was a handful for the Revs backline all night with his ability to not only win balls for teammates but bring them down to himself as well.  There was one play in particular that was brilliant and the whole stadium cheered when he received a ball about waist high behind him as he was in full stride, he reached back and flicked the ball over his head and continued to run onto the ball 10 yards away winning it with ease out of the air from the challenging full back.  

The goal was great and was the perfect example of taking your chance as up until then the service he had received was pretty awful, although his off the ball movement definitely could be better.  I was surprised to see Heath take him off as they were pushing for an equalizer and even a tired Larin was still giving the New England backline a ton of trouble.  

I watched the entire Orlando game.  I know we have an MLS section but wow what a player we have.

Orlando was lobbing ball after ball long to Larin who was a handful for the Revs backline all night with his ability to not only win balls for teammates but bring them down to himself as well.  There was one play in particular that was brilliant and the whole stadium cheered when he received a ball about waist high behind him as he was in full stride, he reached back and flicked the ball over his head and continued to run onto the ball 10 yards away winning it with ease out of the air from the challenging full back.  

The goal was great and was the perfect example of taking your chance as up until then the service he had received was pretty awful, although his off the ball movement definitely could be better.  I was surprised to see Heath take him off as they were pushing for an equalizer and even a tired Larin was still giving the New England backline a ton of trouble.  

I think we will see him at the GC and not the Pan Am games. Better too because it means guys like Hamilton and Clarke will get PT that they wouldn't otherwise.

Borjan is on fire.

Also interesting career trajectory comparing larin to clarke and hamilton. The former was playing college last year while the latter two were playing pro. But now it seems larin has pulled ahead of them.

In the 3. Bundesliga, Nik Ledgerwood played 76 mins for Cottbus in a 0-3 loss to Dortmund II yesterday. Edwini-Bonsu also played 83 for Stuttgart in a 3-2 away win.

Hirschfield stayed on the bench for Valerenga as they lost 0-2.

In Finland's Ykkonen, AJ Gray started and was subbed on 55 minutes as Haka lost 3-2 on the road.

Borjan is on fire.

Also interesting career trajectory comparing larin to clarke and hamilton. The former was playing college last year while the latter two were playing pro. But now it seems larin has pulled ahead of them.

Yes but we all know NCAA is no place for players to develop and everyone needs to be in a pro academy asap :P

Yes but we all know NCAA is no place for players to develop and everyone needs to be in a pro academy asap :P

In fact, yes they should.

Maybe Larin is just more talented than the other two mentioned? Maybe if he'd been a pro before he would have debuted sooner and might have been even further in his development?

I think in many cases acadamy graduates get treated like prospects much more than their NCAA counterparts. Larin, being the number 1 pick, is pretty much expected to start contributing right away. Hamilton on the other hand has repeatedly been sent on loan.

I know circumstances vary from club to club (TFC are deep up top), but I just wonder how many seasons he'll play in the USL before he gets fed up. I mean, how can Hamilton honestly expect to get quality minutes with Altidore and Giovinco ahead of him?

No amount of goals at that level will give you a chance to displace those two, he'd really need a loan to another MLS team - but is this possible under the leagues convoluted rules?

Larin really hasn't had as different of a career trajectory as people think.  He was brought up in Sigma which is basically a pro academy set up and spent two school years in NCAA at a top soccer school (and off seasons with Sigma and playing L1O).  

Hamilton and Larin are both freaks who have been destined to be pros.  If both were switched in terms of their career paths I really don't think either would be much different than they are now.  

In fact, yes they should.

Maybe Larin is just more talented than the other two mentioned? Maybe if he'd been a pro before he would have debuted sooner and might have been even further in his development?

Well considering Sigma is well connected with both MLS and European clubs, it doesn't appear like Larin was ready to turn pro at 17/18. 

I don't see the connection between being a part of a pro academy and debuting sooner. Did Harrison Shipp debut sooner? Or Yedlin? NO - they both went to the NCAA. Should we discuss how much further they would be along in their development? 

Have you ever heard of the saying "the exception that proves the rule"? If playing at college was that great, why don't Ajax, Barca, Bayern Munich and Arsenal send their talents to freakin college? Do you really want me to list you the topnotch players that never went to college and are way better than Shipp will ever be?

Just a comment to add to the above too wrt to Larin and Hamilton. They are so early in their respective careers you can't say Larin is distinctly ahead. At their ages this could be completely flipped in 2 years. With that said very excited about both their potentials. And Obinna has a good point about toronto fc and there preference for playing dps at striker roles. With that said displacing a guy like Finlay is very much doable.

At 19 years old Jordan Hamilton is doing just fine starting and playing heavy minutes in the USL.  He's probably going to get in 2,000 minutes of game time against other young pros.  Unless there's an injury to the first team I don't think it's a good idea to rush him and then just sit and watch TFC play. 

Next year I'd like to see him become the primary reserve striker for TFC though.  It would be nice to see him get 600-1,000 minutes in MLS next season.  The future is really good for him I think.

Archived