Exclusive Interview: Paul Stalteri

Hi all,

In case this is of any interest, we were able to sit down with former captain and Canada's most-capped international, Paul Stalteri recently. He discussed the Canadian national team (including Hargreaves, Begovic, Hoilett, De Guzman) Canadian youth development, MLS, NASL, and told us about his time in Europe with Werder Bremen and Tottenham. On this page you'll find video highlights as well as the audio of the full interview.
http://underthecoshblog.com/2015/05/04/exclusive-interview-paul-stalteri/

Enjoy!

• 2 years later...
On 9/2/2017 at 5:03 PM, Mike Thompson said:

I'm so happy that he decided to play for Canada while he had other options as his father is Italian and mother Guyanese 

playing in the EPL & Bundesliga maybe could have game him a shot with the Azurri? 

On 9/2/2017 at 5:08 PM, jpg75 said:

Um, no.

Only if it resulted in a successful move to a top Serie A team.

3 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Only if it resulted in a successful move to a top Serie A team.

...and a talent transplant. No offence to Paul, he's a good guy and was a good player, but nowhere near the Italian NT of that time. Maldini at LB, Stalteri at RB?

On 9/4/2017 at 0:12 PM, BearcatSA said:

Stalteri made himself into a solid RB and RWB after arriving in Germany having played mainly as a mid and sometimes forward.  He'll be a good mentor for Petrasso, and the other young fullbacks when our NT camps get together. 

I remember him as a striker but more importantly, what is Mrs S up to these days.

• 4 years later...

A nice interview just before the mexico win with Stalteri talking about Canadas rise, defending Davies, coaching David and the overall picture of development of Canadian soccer.  Always well spoken and intelligent with a unique perspective playing at top level in germany 20 years ago.  They serve him up a couple softball questions to praise Herdman and he goes the other way, ie this has been coming for years, its mainly the players/depth etc.  Its a good listen..with a CDN legend.    

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/paul-stalteri-big-match-canada-mexico/

Edited by Bison44

8 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Slight time correction, this interview was before the Azteca (October) game.  Interesting that he said David wanted nothing to do with going the MLS development route

Yes, that stood out for me, too. It runs contrary to some of the casual narrative about JD being overlooked or not identified by TFC, in particular.

JD wanting europe and rebuking MLS teams was one of the first things I remember about hearing about him on here when he was with u-17.  One of the guys on here from Ottawa was super high on him (cant remember who).  I wonder what Stalteri thinks of that, he mentions that those chances to go to europe just were almost non existent 20 years ago.  And that grassroots has improved, ID'ing and scouting CDN youngsters has improved and its easier to get the right kids into good set ups at younger ages.  Nice to hear his perspective on things, being that he knows the pathways or lack of pathways personally.  

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

he mentions that those chances to go to europe just were almost non existent 20 years ago. 

Did he say that because i have an old Moaca list of players whom had trials at big clubs in Europe, in fact we even had a thread going discussing if we are really better off now in that regard.

11 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Did he say that because i have an old Moaca list of players whom had trials at big clubs in Europe, in fact we even had a thread going discussing if we are really better off now in that regard.

At +10:00 he says access to europe is alot easier, kids are getting in at younger ages and CDN are more welcome.   Weigh that how you will, non-existent was my take...

• 5 months later...

Since this appears to be the de facto Paul Stalteri update thread, here's a good article from March in The Athletic about that Spurs match with the last-minute Stally winner.

https://theathletic.com/3157491/2022/03/03/berbatovs-brilliance-stalteris-big-moment-and-mark-nobles-tears-west-ham-3-4-spurs-was-classic-barclays/?redirected=1