Whitecaps expand residency program younger

lazlo_80

Well we aren't Ajax yet (6 year old's) but we're moving in the right direction. Good to see them integrating it with school and the older residency kids. That will make them feel like part of the group and hopefully they'll see some good examples.

• 3 weeks later...

Winnipeg has some really good talent, especially on the boys side. Good for the whitecaps.

Hey Desiree Scott on the CANWNT would take objection to this comment :). Winnipeg has an embarrassment of talent. There are a lot of strong Cultural groups there that really develop some strong talent.

Every summer Winnipeg hosts the largest multicultural festival in Canada, maybe even North America. There are some 50 different cultural groups that are on display for 2 weeks. These groups are vibrant and mostly have a strong soccer heritage. There are amazing coaches and a wealth of knowledge. A lot of Academies have sprung up there as well and are flourishing. 

Too bad a lot of these groups have very little to do with Winnipeg Youth Soccer Association, which literally only has 5-6 youth premier teams.

Lots of Canadian talent will be on display in the CANMNT come 2022, 2026 and on

definitely a step forward. My only thing is, does this imply Winnipeg isn't looking very seriously at getting a pro team? Feel like the provincial association would be a little more hesitant to do this sort of partnership if Winnipeg was seriously considering a team.

All in all, great development!

And their links to universities in Canada are bearing fruit as well

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/2015/05/serban-cashes-his-chances-wfc2

CIS Rookie of the Year so the CIS is getting some love and not just the NCAA. Another route to the pros open for our young players. 

In another article I read that "Serban is eligible to return to the Thunderbirds this fall, even though he has signed a pro contract. With the Whitecaps FC2 season ending in early September". 

That is interesting and would give CIS a huge advantage over NCAA if they can have a pro contract AND get an education. Best of both worlds.

The Whitecaps really are building a big pipeline with their academy system.  To be honest I think this type of long term vision is the best path for elite Canadian soccer long term. 

Really? Even though this approach has never worked anywhere ever? You really prefer academies of foreign teams to local profesional clubs?

What a lovely FU to Winnipeg.

Really? Even though this approach has never worked anywhere ever? You really prefer academies of foreign teams to local profesional clubs?

What a lovely FU to Winnipeg.

Not sure I see this as an FU to Winnipeg unless there was a pro team lining up in Winnipeg, that's what I was mentioning in my earlier post. Manitoba as a provincial association wouldn't like want to be a part of this partnership if there was serious consideration of a pro team in Winnipeg. This is the strongest evidence so far, in my opinion that Winnipeg isn't interested in a pro team right now.

My point is it cuts the legs out from under any effort to create a local pro team.

I don't see how this cuts the legs out from under any local team in the Peg. First they will not have an MLS team so even if they do get an NASL team there would still be a need for a path to the highest league. If a NASL team did setup in Winnipeg what would stop them from offering contracts to players they want?

The way I see it is that it would lead to competition for players by the various academies and more opportunities for those who want pro level training but don't want to move to Vancouver.

Of course that would all be contingent on a group of owners willing to step up to the plate and fund a NASL team which I've heard nothing about. Not saying there isn't but they are keeping a very low profile if they do exist. Until such time as that comes to pass get the kids into the Whitecaps stream and onto their radar.

I don't see how this cuts the legs out from under any local team in the Peg. First they will not have an MLS team so even if they do get an NASL team there would still be a need for a path to the highest league. If a NASL team did setup in Winnipeg what would stop them from offering contracts to players they want?

This only helps fuel the hunger for professional footy in Winnipeg

If this academy is set-up similarly to what the 'Caps have in Saskatoon, it will just be a pay to play high performance training academy. Interested players have a chance for qualified and intensified training while the 'Caps can skim any top prospects off the top and possibly bring them to Vancouver. To date, I only think one kid from S'toon has made his way to the Vancouver academy. 

This does nothing to prevent the creation of a professional club in Winnipeg. I'm guessing there are existing academies in Winnipeg who will be understandably bitter about increased competition for player fees, but otherwise this seems like a positive step forward.

If this academy is set-up similarly to what the 'Caps have in Saskatoon, it will just be a pay to play high performance training academy. Interested players have a chance for qualified and intensified training while the 'Caps can skim any top prospects off the top and possibly bring them to Vancouver. To date, I only think one kid from S'toon has made his way to the Vancouver academy. 

This does nothing to prevent the creation of a professional club in Winnipeg. I'm guessing there are existing academies in Winnipeg who will be understandably bitter about increased competition for player fees, but otherwise this seems like a positive step forward.

The Sask player is Brett Levis I think, who I thought was quite good in the only WCII match I have seen streamed this year start to finish. 

Sorry to hear that some think they are overcharging, but yes, all schools charge a bit much in Canada. It is not inexpensive and there is no basic principle to make it so. To compare, I pay 450 euros a year plus kit for my son, training 3 times a week and playing 35 matches (30+friendlies) over 10 months in Barcelona.

You know what's really cutting the legs out from an attempt to Winnipeg? No one showing up to the games for the clubs that exist today. How can one build a business case for professional soccer in Winnipeg when WSA Winnipeg can't even draw an average of 200 fans to games in their 4th year? Yes, the club is not professional in the strict sense of the term, but one would assume a club with decent connections in the local community could draw better than that?

If it were my money, I wouldn't be touching that market with a 10 foot pole. If it's the Whitecaps money at stake, have at er.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived