What can we as supporters do to make the Voyageurs Cup better?

I'm noticing what I think is a significant lack of respect towards the Voyageurs Cup and the competition itself this year from media and the casual fan. Amongst other things:

- Never calling the Voyageurs Cup by its name. With the exception of the FC Edmonton broadcast it's always called the Canadian Cup or the Amway Cup or the CanChamp.

- Lack of television coverage for semifinal games

- Calls for the tournament to be changed to a Cascadia Cup because MLS teams have too many games

- Significant drops in attendance. Maybe not on paper, but in terms of butts in seats there don't seem to be many.

Watching the Voyageurs Cup in 2011 is what got me hooked on this game from casual fan to superfan. Since this competition was born from the brains of supporters, I wonder what we can do as supporters to grow the competition, and make the Voyageurs Cup more meaningful to all Canadian clubs?

- Never calling the Voyageurs Cup by its name. With the exception of the FC Edmonton broadcast it's always called the Canadian Cup or the Amway Cup or the CanChamp.

This really irks me. I purposely call it the Voyageurs Cup every time, and tell anyone willing to listen why.

The reason it's having issues with respect is a lack of knowledge. As long as it's called the 'Amway Canadian Championship' with no explanation of where it comes from, it looks like some Mickey Mouse competition. The CSA can help by expanding it.

I do all I can to educate people about its history and the fact that it's supporter driven. Once someone realizes that, respect isn't far behind.

These are two good links which I get people to check out:

https://youtu.be/CHNmUUn5_3U

http://www.canadasoccer.com/voyageurs-cup-announced-for-a-league-teams-p147747&t=championship_article

(Not sure what the fans can do for this one) Wish the two NASL clubs didn't have to face off against each other for the "privilege" of playing a MLS club. Less chance of a Cinderella type run through Voyageur and CCL run.

Dobbie is good for calling it what it is,  might say he goes out of his way to see it mentioned but you can't expect it to be that next level Grey Cup/Stanley Cup reference can you?  

(Just realized how very Canadian this whole "Cup" trophie thingy is.  So the big sports for our American cousins are basketball, baseball and football and those who watch that trio more than I (zero) can correct me but aside from the World Series I believe their playoff tournaments are predominently referenced as this or that playoffs, not as the cup/trophie tournies.  Does that mean anything or not?  Don't know just interesting to my flighty mind).

Anyway, what can we do?  Watch.  Support.  Just generally give a damn.  Franchises want to dictate to the ticket buying public what they think is important to the franchise (playoffs, playoffs, playoffs) but its down to the ticket buying public to, on occasion, correct them.  Not saying there's anything sinister on the part of the franchises in that, just saying they need to be properly informed if their interests are not of the same priority as their money spending supporters.

So watch, support and generally give a damn.  The universe will sort itself out from there.

P.S.  What was the gate for the last two Montreal matches at The Big Owe?  Three million bucks?  Isn't that the MLS salary cap for an entire season? 

And what was that exposure worth within soccerdom?  For both Saputo (and don't think that isn't important) and the franchise?  Fu'king priceless.

No Voyageur's Cup, no COCACRAP Champion's League.  

Only one thing can be done, and that's have more teams play for it, and have a proper tournament for it. Right now, the Cup is basically the consolation prize for the MLS team's failure to win anything down south. The only exception to this seems to be Montreal who is packing the place for these games vs MLS ones.

That means accepting that not every potentially professional stadium will be pristine grass, encouraging the CSA to move the national team around to different venues to grow and gauge soccer's interest across our nation and make investing in a team, (preferably a NASL Canada leauge) seem like a possible lucrative and fun endeavour.

I just realized that the TV coverage of the Voyageurs Cup might come back when the format goes fully to July / August. With Sportsnet paying all that money for NHL rights, you just know hockey is going to win over soccer every single time. So, when the format moves to a July / August time frame, hopefully it will remove the obstacle towards showing games on national TV, even preliminary rounds.

So that's a small win. Hopefully

It  is  hard  to  compete   for  tv  viewers   against  playoff   hockey  here  inn  Canada.   for  starters.  5  teams   it  is   to   small.  Hopefully  we  will  see  more  teams   in  the  tournament  in  the  near  future.  the coolest  thing  about    FA  Cups     you  have  amateur  teams  going  against  premiership  teams    that  is  awesome.  Plus  when the  draw  is  announced   literally   all  of  England   is  at  standstill   watching  were  there  team   who  there  team   is  going  to  play  next.  But  you  cannot  compare   something  that  is  over  100  years  old  to  something  that  is   only 7  years  old.   Maybe  have  games  on  Pro line   might  help   with  popularity.

The Voyageurs Cup provides for me more entertainment than a regular season MLS game. The reason is that Cup games provide more drama with elimination, away goal, aggregate scoring system, player selection and rivalries factors. 

Growing up as a youth player I always wanted to with the Quebec Cup more than a league championship and this continued as a senior player. Even if my club was not a contender for top spot in the league, drawing higher caliber teams motivated my team and brought more fans to the game.

I  hope  the  tournament   becomes  bigger.  Some  of  the  best  games  I  have  seen  TFC  Play  (being a  tfc  supporter)  have  been  in  the  Voyaguers  Cup

2009 final game. Some of the best on the field trolling I've ever witnessed.

I just realized that the TV coverage of the Voyageurs Cup might come back when the format goes fully to July / August. With Sportsnet paying all that money for NHL rights, you just know hockey is going to win over soccer every single time. So, when the format moves to a July / August time frame, hopefully it will remove the obstacle towards showing games on national TV, even preliminary rounds.

So that's a small win. Hopefully

Tomorrow's games are both on TV on Sportsnet World.  And the Vancouver/Edmonton is also on Sportsnet 360.  For some reason Wrestling is more important than the Montrea/Toronto game.

But they are all on TV.  I'm not aware of any TFC match that hasn't been on TV in 9 seasons, other than the odd friendly.

Tomorrow's games are both on TV on Sportsnet World.  And the Vancouver/Edmonton is also on Sportsnet 360.  For some reason Wrestling is more important than the Montrea/Toronto game.

But they are all on TV.  I'm not aware of any TFC match that hasn't been on TV in 9 seasons, other than the odd friendly.

The preliminary round has never been on TV. Just streamed. Remember the stream that consistently failed during the 0-0 leg in Ottawa last year?

Wasn't a CCL match against a weak Central American team not shown on TV?

I don't recall that.  Which one ... easy enough to dig back through the discussion threads of the time.  In Toronto ... maybe I forgot as I was at the game.

The preliminary round has never been on TV. Just streamed. Remember the stream that consistently failed during the 0-0 leg in Ottawa last year?

Yes. I simply said that I don't recall any TFC games (regular season, Voyageurs Cup, or Champions League) not being on some TV channel somewhere. Though some were relegated to Sportsnet World, The Score, or GOL TV.

• 2 weeks later...

It  is  hard  to  compete   for  tv  viewers   against  playoff   hockey  here  inn  Canada.   for  starters.  5  teams   it  is   to   small.  Hopefully  we  will  see  more  teams   in  the  tournament  in  the  near  future.  the coolest  thing  about    FA  Cups     you  have  amateur  teams  going  against  premiership  teams    that  is  awesome.  Plus  when the  draw  is  announced   literally   all  of  England   is  at  standstill   watching  were  there  team   who  there  team   is  going  to  play  next.  But  you  cannot  compare   something  that  is  over  100  years  old  to  something  that  is   only 7  years  old.   Maybe  have  games  on  Pro line   might  help   with  popularity.

I'd add one more thing we can do - stop ignoring/forgetting 5 years of voyageurs cup history. It pre dates MLS just as the Stanley Cup pre dates the NHL.

I'd add one more thing we can do - stop ignoring/forgetting 5 years of voyageurs cup history. It pre dates MLS just as the Stanley Cup pre dates the NHL.

Just to troll Vancouver more that they have won as many V's Cup as the Lynx and the Aviators and the Calgary SuperTyrasonnus FC.

• 2 weeks later...

More clubs involved.

More opportunities for lower-division clubs to play MLS clubs.

Move to single-leg rounds if fixture congestion is an issue. This would also increase the chances of inter-divisional upsets.

Dont go to single games this event gives fans in NASL a chance to see new teams if it was single games most likely the MLS teams would host the games

unless you use the davis cup rule where the host is alternated .

Get the Voyageurs Cup to 8 teams.  At this point I don't really care how ... PCSL/L1O/PLSQ/USL/PDL/CIS/Challenge Trophy ... pick something and go with it.  Players need something to aim for.

I like the 2 games ... it gives the minnows a chance to host which forces them to have a stadium that meets a standard.  Again, I'm not sure a care if that standard includes a fence or 2 stands or a press box ... set the standard and if a team meets the standard, invite them into the competition.  I like the FA Cup one game style too, but the travel for the fans is much easier.

Get off the Sportsnet World ... get it on a more easily accessible channel.

As SUPPORTERS, all we can really do is show up, watch on TV, tweet, post, social media it, support the sponsors.

Cheers

Here's my pie-in-the-sky proposal: 41 teams from all levels of the pyramid.

Round 1 (14 teams):
PCSL (All 7)
USL-PDL (All 6)
Winner of the Challenge Trophy

Round 2 (26):
L1O (Bottom 11; all but champion)
PLSQ (Bottom 6; all but champion)
USL-Pro (Bottom 2 Canadian teams)
Winner from previous round (7)

Round 3 (16):
USL-Pro (Best Canadian team)
L1O (Previous season's Champion)
PLSQ (Previous season's Champion)
Winners from previous round (13)

Round 4 (10):
NASL (Both Canadian teams)
Winners from previous round (8)

Round of 8:
MLS (All three Canadian teams)
Winners of previous round (5)

Followed by a semi-final, and final. All rounds are home-and-away. I think that makes it 80 games.

Now all we need is about $100m to pay for flights all over the country for all these teams!

Archived