Chaim Roserie

Well, hate to break the bad news, but....in an article in Plastic Pitch that came out today it was mentioned that Roserie holds dual citizenship (CAN/USA), and that he has turned down multiple calls from the U-17 team. A quote from Roserie in the article

"Basically, it's better for me to play with the Americans than with Canada. The Americans play a possession style that suits my game, not the kick and run, which is more what Canada plays."

Might be time to lock this thread and forget about Roserie until we see his name on a roster announcement.

Well, hate to break the bad news, but....in an article in Plastic Pitch that came out today it was mentioned that Roserie holds dual citizenship (CAN/USA), and that he has turned down multiple calls from the U-17 team. A quote from Roserie in the article

"Basically, it's better for me to play with the Americans than with Canada. The Americans play a possession style that suits my game, not the kick and run, which is more what Canada plays."

Might be time to lock this thread and forget about Roserie until we see his name on a roster announcement.

I do love the fact he calls us out on our bullshit kick and run.

Let's ask ourselves, why was this guy given a chance in Jacksonville and not a Canadian pro club/academy? Would that have helped change his mind? I mean, if you're a dual citizen and playing in country A, wouldn't you prefer to play for country A, is it easier for you?

Edited by Soccerpro

Now that Plastic Pitch is out (as a good magazine writer/editor, I sometimes have to sit on stories for a couple of weeks — or even months — till they come out)...

Jacksonville is over the moon about this kid. Because his family did not move with him (his parents still live in Ontario), he can't be eligible to play in an NASL match till he's 18. Knowing that, the Armada signed him as a 16-yr-old anyway, because they believe his upside is massive.

He was born in Brooklyn, but doesn't remember NY at all — he was that young when his family moved. 

But, I give him credit; he didn't make any vague promises or play the will-I-or-won't-I game. He's clear that he's not interested in playing for Canada. One thing we can't say is that he's led anyone on.

Well, sorry guys, but more defections will come. Thats why the MLS clubs have the academy centres all across Canada to make sure we have local talent playing at least here and maybe wanting to represent Canada. The Americans have also dealt with many defections in there past, but they got through it with the Project 2010 goal and having MLS sustain the national team. It'll take 10-20 years before we see the fruition of local players playing for Canada. He slipped through the cracks and moved on. The kick and run philosophy is partly true though. Canadian don't have flair fpr the game and sometimes boot it up when defending because they're nervous. Just have to calm nerves wheb having the ball.

I do love the fact he calls us out on our bullshit kick and run.

Yup, and if he is a dual citizen, who refused to be called up with the U-17s then we can't say he was using CSA ressources before he switched. I like his honesty. He may comeback to Canada if he doesn't make it big there.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

And, to be clear, Roserie says he was offered lots of deals from different Canadian elite clubs and academies. But he says he wanted the challenge of playing against men, and not boys his age. A big reason for him going to the Armada's tryout camp last year.

Except he doesn't get to play against men. Only train with them, and with an NASL club not even a top class one . Good luck to our American friend. 

"Kick and run"...meh...the Americans are marginally better at best than Canada in this dept imo.

This is a new excuse LOL

And totally inaccurate too.  Saying a team plays "kick and run" is just a nice way of saying that they're not as good as another team, because we haven't played kick and run as a system in at least 10 years.  The USA and Canada are about as close as it gets, they just do it much better.  

Just man up and say "I want to play for the USA because they have a better team"... there doesn't it feel better to be a shameless prick?

Edited by Keegan

Kick and run is a bullshit excuse by an inarticulate teenager. Maybe his Mississauga youth teams played that way since our youth coaches don't know what they're doing. But in terms of national teams, we haven't played that way for over a decade. 

While he hasn't dilly dallied in making his decision, he is still using code words rather than telling us the real reason because it is unpalatable.

so the general consensus is that he's Sydney Leroux 2.0?

No not as bad. Leroux was born in Canada and was part of the NT program before she jumped ship. This kid never accepted any call to a Canadian camp and was born in the US. It sucks when a player eligible for Canada chooses another country but I don't blame this kid.

No not as bad. Leroux was born in Canada and was part of the NT program before she jumped ship. This kid never accepted any call to a Canadian camp and was born in the US. It sucks when a player eligible for Canada chooses another country but I don't blame this kid.

I mean he was born in the US but moved before he was old enough to remember anything about it, that's basically the same thing.

I mean he was born in the US but moved before he was old enough to remember anything about it, that's basically the same thing.

For me it's not necessarily the same thing. This kid may been raised in a house who preached to him he was American. He never put on Canada jersey so it's not like he dicked us around. And now he's moved back to the US to pursue his career.

I hate guys like Kris Twardek who were born in Canada and everything about them is Canadian but they refuse to join our program because they think it's below them. Or guys like Teal Bunbury who were born abroad to a Canadian parent, plays for Canada and then switches.

• 1 year later...