Chaim Roserie

16 year old kid has signed with the Jacksonville Armada of the NASL. Second youngest to be signed after Boakai. Came up in the Toronto youth scene.

I do not know anything about this kid. Anyone care to shed some light?

It pisses me off when American teams waste precious roster spots for developing Canadian players. 

That's cuz he's also American:

http://the11.ca/2014/08/13/canadian-teens-roserie-and-arora-crack-jacksonville-armadas-developmental-roster/

Roserie hails from Mississauga, and has played for the West Toronto Cobras and Mississauga Falcons. On the roster, the Armada has him listed as a U.S. national, though Roserie has played his entire youth career in Canada and attends St. Joan of Arc Catholic Secondary School in Mississauga.

When Jacksonville released the news today, it referred to him as a Canadian, not "Canadian/American." And they do have to wait for FIFA clearance because Roserie is a minor, and I don't think they'd have to do that if Roserie was American.

http://the11.ca/2015/05/01/phenom-alert-16-year-old-canadian-chaim-roserie-signs-with-jacksonville-armada/

But, yes, when Roserie went to Jacksonville in 2014 (as I wrote then), he was listed as by the club as a dual citizen. I will work to clarify this; BUT, he is from Mississauga. Went to Saint Joan of Arc Secondary School. 

not good enough for tfc academy or tfc2 ... i doubt it

Not everyone wants to play for TFC.  Though, maybe this opportunity was seen as better for him (in his opinion).  Maybe he likes warmer weather.  Maybe he wants to be an American player (sigh).  Maybe he wasn't good enough to play with the TFC gang, and when they finally spotted his talents he decided to go elsewhere.  Who knows.  Best of luck to him, and if he develops into a good player, would like to see him wear the Canadian Rouges.

That's a matter of paperwork, though. There's no reason to believe this doesn't end in a contract reasonably soon.

If he's not American then he waits another 2 years. A lot can happen in the life of a teen in 2 years.

Maybe he wanted a professional contract at 16, too.

This.  

If he plays for TFC academy he is chained to one club holding his rights and choosing to sign him to the first team if and when they see fit.  Signing in the NASL allows him to become a professional immediately and if he is good enough and wants to go to MLS he is now open to every club.  Loophole, good on the kid and his agent/family.

If he's not American then he waits another 2 years. A lot can happen in the life of a teen in 2 years.

Salgado signed with the Whitecaps at 17yrs old, and initially the Whitecaps had to ask FIFA to approve the signing, which was approved as he was an American, signing with a Canadian team, but one that played in a league based both in Canada and the USA. I believe they are probably counting on the same precedent applying here for Roserie.

When Jacksonville released the news today, it referred to him as a Canadian, not "Canadian/American." And they do have to wait for FIFA clearance because Roserie is a minor, and I don't think they'd have to do that if Roserie was American.

http://the11.ca/2015/05/01/phenom-alert-16-year-old-canadian-chaim-roserie-signs-with-jacksonville-armada/

But, yes, when Roserie went to Jacksonville in 2014 (as I wrote then), he was listed as by the club as a dual citizen. I will work to clarify this; BUT, he is from Mississauga. Went to Saint Joan of Arc Secondary School. 

He does not have to wait for clearance because he is a minor, he needs clearance because he was last registered with a Canadian Soccer Club under the CSA ( does not matter if its amateur or professional ). See Article nine http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/01/06/30/78/statusinhalt_en_122007.pdf  and annex 3 article 3 is relevant.

IIRC That's why many spaniards leave to play in England at 16. They can get a pro contract at 16 there, whereas they'd have to wait until 18 in Spain.

Is that really the case, are you sure?  Plenty of young players play pro at 16 in Spain, don't know how you came up with that. Just asking though, but I think Bojan now at Stoke or Muniain at Bilbao had pro contracts at 16. The Norwegian Odegaard at Madrid, is 16 and they say he is making 4 million pounds a year. That sounds like a pro contract. BTW he was called up for the last match but was on the bench.

Is that really the case, are you sure?  Plenty of young players play pro at 16 in Spain, don't know how you came up with that. Just asking though, but I think Bojan now at Stoke or Muniain at Bilbao had pro contracts at 16. The Norwegian Odegaard at Madrid, is 16 and they say he is making 4 million pounds a year. That sounds like a pro contract. BTW he was called up for the last match but was on the bench.

I am sure of nothing when someone who lives in Barcelona thinks I am incorrect!

Here's a link I've found:

http://www.historycommons.org/context.jsp?item=a091103FabregasArsenal

September 11, 2003: Cesc Fabregas Signs for Arsenal, One of Several Barcelona Youth Players to Move to EnglandEdit event

Cesc Fabregas, who will go on to captain Arsenal for a number of years, joins the club from Barcelona’s youth team. He is 16 years old. [ARSENAL, 2010] Fabregas is one of several Spanish players who leave their native country to join English football clubs at a young age; the moves are because English employment law allows 16-year-olds to sign contracts, whereas in Spain players can only sign when they are older (see October 10, 2007 and February 23, 2011).

Entity Tags: Arsenal F.C., FC Barcelona, Francesc Fabregas i Soler

October 10, 2007: Barcelona Successfully Sues Former Child Player for Breaching Pre-Contractual AgreementEdit event

FC Barcelona wins a £2.1 million lawsuit against Fran Merida, a player who left the football club when he was 16, later joining Arsenal FC. Merida is found not to have honored a pre-contractual agreement he had with the Catalan giants. Spanish clubs cannot sign youth players until they are 18, whereas clubs in England can sign 16-year-olds under British law, meaning that some Spanish players sign for English clubs on turning 16. [DAILY TELEGRAPH, 10/11/2007] Arsenal will decide not to appeal the ruling and pay the fine for Merida. Reportedly, this decision is taken to improve relations between the two clubs, which have been poor since a similar problem with Cesc Fabregas’s move to London in 2003. [DAILY MAIL, 10/31/2009]

Entity Tags: FC Barcelona, Arsenal F.C., Fran Merida

Timeline Tags: Football Business and Politics

February 23, 2011: Arsenal Signs 16-Year-Old from BarcelonaEdit event

Arsenal FC signs Jon Miquel Toral Harper from Barcelona, a couple of weeks after his 16th birthday. Due to different employment laws in Spain and Britain, Arsenal can offer Toral a professional contract, although FC Barcelona cannot yet do so and cannot stop him from going to England. Toral is not the first 16-year-old to leave Barcelona for Arsenal; the best-known such transfer was that of current Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas, who left Catalonia for London in 2003, when he was also 16. Barcelona president Sandro Rosell expresses the Catalans’ displeasure over the deal, calling it “legal but a little immoral.” [GUARDIAN, 2/24/2011]

Well that is odd as you can legally work in Spain at 16, mandatory education is to Grade 10. Perhaps you have to sign a pro contract under your parent's or guardian's responsibility, something like that. Cesc and the others, I think, moved to England because of financial offers, but also because it is hard to break into first team play at Barcelona, and Cesc was behind Xavi and would have been for years. He made a good move after the world u-17s where he was voted best player.

I think it is just another thing altogether, for Barça anyways, as they try not to pay big contracts to kids to keep the academy balanced. There was a famous case of paying Nano, a teen winger, a million euros, he never panned out, and that just created tension in the youth ranks (he was with Valdes and Arteta I think).

We have had a few cases in Canada of kids going for the contract and higher profile playing time ahead of development, Peters was a case, so was Wyn Belotte. What we need now is proper development, and we have to accept that no country can do that with only 5 pro clubs offering contracts, it is too little.

Until 2013 or 14 SpanishTeams could not sign a footballer to a profesional contract until they were 18. Arsenal, in addition to Cesc, nearly (according to club insders) got Messi at the same time (Messi's family's gratitude to Barca apparently the obstacle that could not be overcome). It was the changed to 16 and I understand that now, they are looking at changing it to 14 as England allows for players as young as 14 to sign professional players. English clubs have been raiding spanish academies relentessly - Arsenal I am sure has signed a half dozen or more from Barca in the past few years - Bellerin with the highest current profile. I admit that I am not proud of Arsenal's behaviour in this. I should state that my souce for all of his are Arsenal related blogs and web sites, but within that segment it is uncontested as the truth. I do agree that the difficulty in getting into the Barca side, even with its impressive record of internal promotion is also a significant influence on the players poached.

At least Arsenal sometimes gives these kids a chance. Academies of clubs like Chelsea and Man City are also full with foreign teenagers, only to never see the pitch. But hey, if you were part if a EPL youth set-up, chances are some other club will give you that chance anyway.