• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PVR’d the match and watched it last night.  Atiba was all over the pitch; sometimes just behind the strikers and sometimes as a bit of a right back.  It’s ridiculous how good he is at 38 playing every

Scored today: 30% of Besiktas goals have been scored by Canadians lol

Posted Images

There's a really interesting book called Scorecasting that explains homefield advantage pretty well, and mostly attributes it to referee bias that tends to favour the home team. They actually had a control group, where some years ago, a few soccer games were played in empty stadiums (imagine that!) and the bias completely disappeared in their data. I'm sure the pitch condition and humidity in Central America / the Caribbean has something to do with our dismal record, but we we're generally pretty bad away, no matter where we go.

If it's gonna be empty either way, I don't care too much where we play. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok look one of the best we have ever produced and has been a very dedicated player to the Canadian National team and I think can still be a starter on our national team. The only little negative I’ll say is how you still can’t speak the language after spending so many years living and playing in Turkey ? I’m sure he probably understands a lot of the language I would think. Just following serie A for so many years I’ve seen foreign players from every part of the world pick up Italian and communicate pretty well in Italian even after just one season. Unless Turkish is a very difficult language to learn maybe that’s it who knows.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get this feeling that Hutchinson will join for March.

I don't know.  Besiktas are tied with Galatasary for 1st place (only trailing via the tie-break) and Hutch has been a huge part of their success this year.  Whereas Scotty and Rangers may be getting close to clinching, the race in Turkey is looking like it will go right down to the wire.  I just don't see Hutch risking that club inertia (and managing his fitness - which has clearly been paying dividends) to play these games.  Maybe I am wrong, but it just seems like a big risk for a guy who is clearly still enjoying his club footy.

54 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't know.  Besiktas are tied with Galatasary for 1st place (only trailing via the tie-break) and Hutch has been a huge part of their success this year.  Whereas Scotty and Rangers may be getting close to clinching, the race in Turkey is looking like it will go right down to the wire.  I just don't see Hutch risking that club inertia (and managing his fitness - which has clearly been paying dividends) to play these games.  Maybe I am wrong, but it just seems like a big risk for a guy who is clearly still enjoying his club footy.

Perhaps we get Hutchinson for the Bermuda match (25th) and then release him. 

Besiktas end play March 21st and resume April 4th, so he would essentially lose 4 recovery days, and would have to deal with international travel.

However, he would still have 10 days off, which is still enough time for him to recharge, probably.

Maybe Hutchinson for March and Scotty for June....

As long as Besiktas remains in such a tight race for the title, don't expect Atiba to do anything that would jeopardize his ability to play for them, period. He's arguably playing with house money at this stage of his career.  Atiba wont be there for March, just accept that.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

As long as Besiktas remains in such a tight race for the title, don't expect Atiba to do anything that would jeopardize his ability to play for them, period. He's arguably playing with house money at this stage of his career.  Atiba wont be there for March, just accept that.

lol while you're at it, do you mind taking a look into that crystal ball of yours and telling me whether we qualify for Qatar?

Look, in all seriousness, I am not saying that Hutch being there is a slam dunk. Even he probably hasn't made his mind up yet. I just don't think we are getting carried away by getting a little hopeful.

Was my scenario of Hutch coming for just the Bermuda match pie-in-the-sky?

The other thing is, are we making too big a deal about his absence and the title race? Why are we suggesting a Super Lig title is more important to Hutchinson than World Cup Qualification? 

Edited by Obinna
2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Whereas Scotty and Rangers may be getting close to clinching, the race in Turkey is looking like it will go right down to the wire.  

And if it's going right down to the wire, one could argue it's important for Hutchinson to be fresh in May.

The title won't be won in March...

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

lol while you're at it, do you mind taking a look into that crystal ball of yours and telling me whether we qualify for Qatar?

Better yet, a little deductive reasoning, it goes a long way

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

The other thing is, are we making too big a deal about his absence and the title race? Why are we suggesting a Super Lig title is more important to Hutchinson than World Cup Qualification? 

Maybe it is for him at this point? Or maybe its extending his career a bit longer? We don't know. No one's suggesting anything, but we also need to come to terms that at this point having him will always be icing on the cake, and if for whatever reason he doesn't suit up for Canada again (you don't need a crystal ball to know life is unpredictable) then that's okay too. 

Just now, LeoH037 said:

Maybe it is for him at this point? Or maybe its extending his career a bit longer? We don't know. No one's suggesting anything, but we also need to come to terms that at this point having him will always be icing on the cake, and if for whatever reason he doesn't suit up for Canada again (you don't need a crystal ball to know life is unpredictable) then that's okay too. 

Having Hutchinson is definitely a bonus. However, I am not prepared to bet on him being there, far from it. Just got a feeling we'll see him.

Maybe I am over optimistic, but I just don't see how this window is any different than any other. Besiktas fighting for the title is nothing new. Atiba trying to extend his career a bit longer isn't new either.

He's getting older, but the stakes are getting higher for Canada. To me his participation is a coin flip at best, which is fine by me. 

at this point hes doing very little full training..just playing games then going into recovery to be able to play next game..the international window is an extra and needed period for him to recover..and every day that goes by it gets more diffcult for him physically