Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scored today: 30% of Besiktas goals have been scored by Canadians lol

You got to love what Hutchinson is doing, playing some of his best football in the twilight of his career.  His career has been criminally underrated in Canada and CONCACAF.  If he can keep

Posted Images

  • 2 weeks later...

I am seriously starting to think Atiba could reach 300 appearances with Besiktas. He is already on 262.

Playing 300 games for a single club probably puts you in "statue" contention.

I wonder where he ranks on all-time appearances for the club? I wouldn't be surprised if he has played the most games as a foreigner. 

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am seriously starting to think Atiba could reach 300 appearances with Besiktas. He is already on 262.

Playing 300 games for a single club probably puts you in "statue" contention.

I wonder where he ranks on all-time appearances for the club? I wouldn't be surprised if he has played the most games as a foreigner. 

 

Screenshot_20201204-135134.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Assuming Atiba makes himself available, which 2 do you play and who do you sit between Hutchinson, Osorio, Eustaquio, Kaye, Piette and Arfield? Good problems to have!

My person opinion, Kaye, and Piette. 
 

Eustaquio, Hutchinson, Arfield are automatic. If they play a 4-2-2-2, or 4-4-2 diamond, then I think Osorio gets the last spot. Herdman rates him, and has played very well in big club/country games over the last 4 years. Very good passer, and doesn’t give the ball up. Also has improved significantly on the defensive side of the ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Assuming Atiba makes himself available, which 2 do you play and who do you sit between Hutchinson, Osorio, Eustaquio, Kaye, Piette and Arfield? Good problems to have!

I'd play Hoillet always, and I personally believe anyone who does not get this is dumb. 

For me I'd put Larin or Cavallini up high. 

David in the midfield but behind the striker.

One pure wing on the right, Davies. No such thing on the left. Unless he shifted to the left upon occasion.

Rest of midfield: Arfield, Hoillet and Atiba. 

Yes, a 4-3-3, sort of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd play Hoillet always, and I personally believe anyone who does not get this is dumb. 

For me I'd put Larin or Cavallini up high. 

David in the midfield but behind the striker.

One pure wing on the right, Davies. No such thing on the left. Unless he shifted to the left upon occasion.

Rest of midfield: Arfield, Hoillet and Atiba. 

Yes, a 4-3-3, sort of.

I agree with most of this, but we just gotta find a spot for Eustaquio.  Not sure about Hoilett in the midfield in a 4-3-3.  Defensive duties aren't really his thing. 

That lineup sounds like more of a 4-2-4.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Atiba is rolling back the years and lighting it up precisely because he stopped travelling the world to play for us. Instead, he's had time to heal, rest, and recharge with his family. 

He could help us, but if we're being honest we "need" him less today than ever before, and if he wants to extend his club career as much as possible, he needs to not play for us more than ever. We must learn to win without him sooner or later, so why not just let our GOAT legend retire now on his own terms?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Atiba is rolling back the years and lighting it up precisely because he stopped travelling the world to play for us. Instead, he's had time to heal, rest, and recharge with his family. 

He could help us, but if we're being honest we "need" him less today than ever before, and if he wants to extend his club career as much as possible, he needs to not play for us more than ever. We must learn to win without him sooner or later, so why not just let our GOAT legend retire now on his own terms?

This is fair ... guess I should go change my projected lineup for our first opening round match of the 2026 WC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Atiba is rolling back the years and lighting it up precisely because he stopped travelling the world to play for us. Instead, he's had time to heal, rest, and recharge with his family. 

He could help us, but if we're being honest we "need" him less today than ever before, and if he wants to extend his club career as much as possible, he needs to not play for us more than ever. We must learn to win without him sooner or later, so why not just let our GOAT legend retire now on his own terms?

I agree with this, but then I think going out on his own terms might mean playing in a Canada jersey with one last shot at what has eluded him since 2006 qualifying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty nuts, when we crashed out of the last cycle we were for sure certain that we had seen the end of Atiba in WCQ... yet the way he is still playing, good chance he might have one more cycle in him. If Canada makes 2022, Atiba needs to be part of the squad on some shape, If not as a player (though so far nothing suggest otherwise), then as part of the support staff, he's earned that much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2022 is only 1.5 yrs away.  At the rate he is going I doubt he would need some token gesture.  If we can manage to qualify there is a very real chance that he would be a key player for us.   He may be benefitting from a sole focus on his club play but he is clearly not declining in terms of what he can do on the pitch over 90 minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

its 2 years away as it will be in nov-dec 2022..so he cant play club for one more season and then play world cup and retire..he would have to play two more seasons..could also play in a country that has spring to fall seasons like in scandinavia or canada and end his career with a world cup..but at that point he would be 39 and 9-10 months..combination of canada qualifying and him being in the squad is very unlikely

Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved from the "no chance" of this happening to the "it is possible" in the last year; that being said, 2 years is a long time when he is 37 (almost 38). I am still assuming he wont be there but it would be a pleasant surprise if he is (and of course, a much better surprise if we qualify).  But he definitely might help us get there (something that is probably in a way more important).

Maybe he will become our Roger Milla in Qatar! 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big_M said:

its 2 years away as it will be in nov-dec 2022..so he cant play club for one more season and then play world cup and retire..he would have to play two more seasons..could also play in a country that has spring to fall seasons like in scandinavia or canada and end his career with a world cup..but at that point he would be 39 and 9-10 months..combination of canada qualifying and him being in the squad is very unlikely

One more season with Besiktas next year and he can play 5 more in the CPL ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...