Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

The Turkish tabloids are writing that Hutchinson will sign a contract extension next week and play for Beşiktaş for one more year. Some claim the year long contract is as high as €500 000!

https://www.fotomac.com.tr/besiktas/2020/07/22/besiktasta-ic-transferin-ilk-imzasi-atiliyor-atiba

I think that it is a reasonable figure at the upper limit if you factor in possible bonuses tied to playing time or if Beşiktaş make the Champions League.

Reminder, on Saturday:
Sivasspor must lose or draw their match against Göztepe AND Beşiktaş must win their match against Gençlerbirliği to be able to make the Champions League.

You got to love what Hutchinson is doing, playing some of his best football in the twilight of his career. 

His career has been criminally underrated in Canada and CONCACAF. 

If he can keep it going at Besiktas and help Canada qualify for the world cup, boy that will be some accomplishment. 

Player of the year in Denmark. Multiple league titles in Denmark. Won the Dutch cup with PSV. Won multiple Turkish titles with Besiktas, became a club legend. Record holder for most European games from a concacaf player... AND led his national team to the world cup for the first time in 36 years? 

That would HAVE to be "concacaf-legend" status..... you couldn't seriously ignore all of those accolades. 

Edited by Obinna

30 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Has he played more European games than anyone in CONCACAF history?  That would surprise me to be honest.

I haven't seen him get an official award for this or anything, but a few weeks back I did a comparison with the top concacaf players involved in European competition, along with those who were active in recent memory. None of them have anywhere close to the amount of combined Europa & Champions League appearances. 

Those you would expect to rank high, such as Chicharito, Navas or Herrera, are +30 games less than Hutchinson, maybe more (I can't recall off the top of my head).

Additionally, I referred to the list of all time Europa/UEFA Cup appearances. Hutchinson, if I recall correctly, ranks 13th All-time for appearances. That's including all players regardless of confederation.

Edit: He is indeed 13th https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Cup_and_Europa_League_records_and_statistics

In fact, there is no other non-European player who ranked ahead of him, which is amazing. Note that I am talking about EL specifically here. However, considering the number of games he's played in that tournament, I am very confident he is the leader for combined EL & CL appearances (for concacaf players).

Though it may seem hard to believe, you can go through his stats and see he has been involved in Champions League or Europa league in every season he's played going back to 2006-07. That's 14 seasons straight of European football.

How someone can play that much European football and not be considered one of the greatest concacaf players is beyond me. One could point to his lack of success internationally, but playing in the World Cup with Canada would remove that argument, along with any other excuse one could have for overlooking him. 

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The Turkish tabloids are writing that Hutchinson will sign a contract extension next week and play for Beşiktaş for one more year. Some claim the year long contract is as high as €500 000!

https://www.fotomac.com.tr/besiktas/2020/07/22/besiktasta-ic-transferin-ilk-imzasi-atiliyor-atiba

I think that it is a reasonable figure at the upper limit if you factor in possible bonuses tied to playing time or if Beşiktaş make the Champions League.

Reminder, on Saturday:
Sivasspor must lose or draw their match against Göztepe AND Beşiktaş must win their match against Gençlerbirliği to be able to make the Champions League.

That is a low salary for Besiktas, and Atiba has never been amongst the best paid on that team, ever. So it is a serious drop down from what he is making, which is the lower end of the starters (a million a year I think it is).

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is a low salary for Besiktas, and Atiba has never been amongst the best paid on that team, ever. So it is a serious drop down from what he is making, which is the lower end of the starters (a million a year I think it is).

Very true but:

-Hutchinson is older and so the risk of a sharp decline in performance becomes more likely. He becomes "higher risk" in a certain sense.
-The financial situation of the club is weaker because they haven't been in the Champions League this past season.
-A decrease in revenue and possibly higher costs due to all the COVID19 factors.

So it's a very solid offer.

I can see him doing one year deals until 2022 where he'll sign a probably half contract in the summer that goes to the end of the year so he can retire after the 2022 WC IF Canada get's there. Otherwise as soon as we're eliminated I imagine that will be his final season.

Edited by VinceA

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

I can see him doing one year deals until 2022 where he'll sign a probably half contract in the summer that goes to the end of the year so he can retire after the 2022 WC IF Canada get's there. Otherwise as soon as we're eliminated I imagine that will be his final season.

Honestly, I don’t think that is what is driving him. If he make $500k a year, it’s a nice piece of change and he will keep on doing it until it doesn’t happen as he knows that once he’s done he is going to have to live off the savings and investment of that for the rest of his life as he is unlikely to replicate anything near that for the rest of his life. 

Edited by An Observer
Grammar

39 minutes ago, Big_M said:

lol him continuing to play or not has nothing to do with national team..hes turning 38 and most likely done with canada..just about getting a last good pay before retiring

lol he's been "most likely done" with canada for a couple of years now. I will believe it when I see it at this point...

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

lol he's been "most likely done" with canada for a couple of years now. I will believe it when I see it at this point...

I think his absence for the USA matches was the 'believe it when you see it' moment.  

The Gold Cup was his swan song. He said so going in. It is what it is. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 10:40 PM, BrennanFan said:

I think his absence for the USA matches was the 'believe it when you see it' moment.  

I would say those games were not exactly critical or high profile games.  Nations league was important in the sence that we needed at the time to improve our ranking so that (in the old qualifying format) get a better lot in life for qualifying.   But , Nations league matches are still new and it remains to be seen where their place lies in the bigger picture.  Clearly, they are not WCQ nor WC matches.   WC and WCQ take on a whole new meaning when your talking about prestige and legacy.  

So i see it as normal that someone in their late thirties would pick and choose and be more selective when it comes to leaving the club and home base to fly around the globe to play in what are essentially freindlies. Or,  in this case, something that was close to a friendlies.  

Edited by Free kick