Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

I don't even care if he is good enough to be on the team in 2 years. If he is good enough to be on the team now and help us GET to Qatar, put him in for qualifiers! You don't have to use the same players for the World Cup that you used for qualifiers, so why would we add an unnecessary restriction and potentially make it harder for the team to attain it's goals?

I agree that his age doesn't really matter. And we don't even need to point at other 39 year old players to prove older guys can start in the WC (Marquez vs Brazil). Why? Because all that matters is whether Atiba Hutchinson is good enough for CANADA. 

If he is and is willing to play he will be there. If he is not, he won't be.

He would be the oldest Canadian to ever play in the WC, right?

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree that his age doesn't really matter. And we don't even need to point at other 39 year old players to prove older guys can start in the WC (Marquez vs Brazil). Why? Because all that matters is whether Atiba Hutchinson is good enough for CANADA. 

If he is and is willing to play he will be there. If he is not, he won't be.

He would be the oldest Canadian to ever play in the WC, right?

That he would be assuming Canada qualify but I mean to say that Canada will qualify, at this point I doubt it but who knows maybe Canada will prove me wrong. But so far this new current golden generation crop of Canadian players have not lived up to expectations whether it be Gold Cup or World Cup qualifying. This qualifying cycle for 2022 maybe they get it right or maybe they don't but if they don't and Atiba doesn't get to play at a World Cup, it will be a damn shame.

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Okay and Zoff was a goalkeeper right? Goalkeepers can play into their 40s and last time I checked Atiba Hutchinson is not a goalkeeper.

Yeah okay sure he can stick around until 2022 but 2 years, he will be 39. At best, Canada should they qualify, Atiba is coming off the bench as a sub. He will not be in the starting 11 and that is just the fact of the matter. Yeah he will get to play in a World Cup but as a sub but it all comes down to Canada qualifying for Qatar 2022. Unless Canada qualifies, then really there is no point in having the conversation anymore.

I was responding to @Norrin Radd comment about Milla. I’m aware Zoff was a goalkeeper. I’m betting you weren’t and had to google his name.

As for 2022, I’m aware of Atiba’s age, because 1. I’m a knowledgeable football fan and 2. You repeat the same information every 2 or 3 posts in this thread. 

15 hours ago, Strait Red said:

The first WC I remember watching was 82 in Spain. Milla and Cameroon had a great tournament! Italy won with Dino Zoff in goal, and he was in his early 40’s at the time (I think)

Milla was 30 in '82 and he was still playing and scoring for Cameroon at the '94 WC.

8 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I know we all like to dunk on TGAA_Star but the truth is that we should not be acting like Atiba will be there at a high level in two years. If he is, it's a bonus and he should obviously be considered for a key role, but there is a very good chance he won't.

Thank you finally someone with realistic sense when it comes to Atiba

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I know we all like to dunk on TGAA_Star but the truth is that we should not be acting like Atiba will be there at a high level in two years. If he is, it's a bonus and he should obviously be considered for a key role, but there is a very good chance he won't.

For sure, just the same way you can’t say outright we have to move on. Bottom line is if he’s good enough -  he should be on the team, if he’s not - he shouldn’t.

I believe this started off with people wanting to put Hutch in at CB to plug that hole not whether he was too old or not.  Obviously he is good enough to play mid at a high level right now.   I think if he wants to play he would do a better job in the midfield than at CB.

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Thought this was relevant to what was recently being discussed here:

So it took him 37 years to get to 21.6, so that is about 1.7 years per physiological age years. I guess that means he will be hitting his physical prime when he is about 47. Too bad he is going to peak after the 2026 World Cup :(.

7 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Hopefully in the near future Atiba will come a coach with our National teams he he has played at a high level for many years  and his experience could be very vital.I cannot think of any other Canadian  past and present who is adored and respected internationaly than him

2026 I can see Atiba on our coaching staff for sure as one of our coaching assistants that will sit on the bench

5 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Atiba posted this on his Instagram. From what I can understand (like none of it at all) I think it’s something about him not leaving. Can anyone decipher this Turkish? 

It's a Father's Day greeting, with that phrase in bold: Birakmam Seni, "I will never leave you" (similar to a "you'll never walk alone") which is a supporters vow at Besiktas.

hopefully he says goodbye when hes still at a good level and performing..otherwise fans could turn on you and shout you out of town..and doing that extra season when its just too much for him would leave a bad memory

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm pretty sure at this point Atiba has built up enough good will that nobody anywhere has nothing but love for him. At 37 he's playing with house money

From what i've seen no matter how poor the team performs he is always looked at as a highlight. Even if he doesn't have a great game it's okay they want to build his statue