Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

16 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

No I'm afraid I don't because most 37-39 year old footballers and older by then retire from both club and country

Most do retire.

Everybody is different; every body is different.

You play it month by month, year by year.

Atiba is selfless enough to help the #CanMNT even if he knows he is unlikely to play in Qatar.

6 more caps and he becomes our most-capped #CanMNT player; that would be an honour and legacy fitting for him.

Even if Hutchinson doesn't play another match for Canada ever again, I just want to say that if he signs a contract extension and plays another year for Besiktas in the Turkish Super Lig, that will be a massive accomplishment at his age.

Most North American players do not have the talent, opportunity or privilage to ever play a single game for such a strong club, so to be doing it at his age for as long as be has, that is so incredible, so I want to put that out there!

I think that would be his 8th season next year and he has been a starter and important player during his entire tenure with Besiktas.

Big up Atiba!

Edited by Obinna

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Most do retire.

Atiba is selfless enough to help the #CanMNT even if he knows he is unlikely to play in Qatar.

6 more caps and he becomes our most-capped #CanMNT player; that would be an honour and legacy fitting for him.

I would really love for Atiba to reach 90 caps to top the list for a few years until Piette overtakes him, and Phonz and/or JD, in turn, rise to the top within the next decade.

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Most do retire.

Yeah I know every one is different and every body is different but come on let's be realistic here like seriously. If Atiba manages to hold on for another 2 years and let's say Canada qualifies, no way he makes the Final 23 man squad. He would probably make provisional squad and then get dropped heading into Qatar. Or let's say he makes the Final 23 man squad, let's say he does, he would be coming off the bench at best. He is just not a starter. Years ago he would have been a starter in a World Cup if Canada ever got there but they didn't and that is unfortunate. Most players do not get to play in World Cups but that is just the reality of the situation. Atiba Hutchinson has been a great player for Canada but Atiba may just have to call it quits as far as his international career is concerned.

It is time to build this team around the new guard...the current generation of Canadian players

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/sports-features/271330-russia-2018-seven-oldest-players-going-to-world-cup.html

Tim Cahill was 38 at the 2018 WC in Russia.

Raphael Marquez was 39 at the 2018 WC in Russia.

If these guys can do it why not Hutchinson?

By the way, Garath Wheeler asked Hoilett if he thinks Hutchinson will stick around and Junior said, with a little chuckle, something along the lines of: "He really enjoys coming in and playing with the young guys, I think he'll want to come back".

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/sports-features/271330-russia-2018-seven-oldest-players-going-to-world-cup.html

By the way, Garath Wheeler asked Hoilett if he thinks Hutchinson will stick around and Junior said, with a little chuckle, something along the lines of: "He really enjoys coming in and playing with the young guys, I think he'll want to come back".

Yeah those guys were old heads for Australia and Mexico but in Cahill's case he kept himself in shape and so did Marquez but the both of them in Russia were coming off the bench. Atiba would be coming off the bench too in 2022 especially if Canada were to qualify.

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Just an incredible player.  One of Canada's living treasures.

Mark my words, they'll be naming high schools after him.  

"We got Jacked!!"

Controversy Follows United States Into Gold Cup Final - The New ...

I'll never forget Hutch's reaction to his goal vs USA being called offside (by that Mexican ref I think). Ball had deflected off American player so should have never been called offside.Just one of many sh*t calls  against us.

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I'll never forget Hutch's reaction to his goal vs USA being called offside (by that Mexican ref I think). Ball had deflected off American player so should have never been called offside.Just one of many sh*t calls  against us.

Such a frustrating moment. Pretty sure he made this same face when he was called offside for the tying goal vs Haiti in the 2019 Gold Cup

19 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

No I'm afraid I don't because most 37-39 year old footballers and older by then retire from both club and country

"Most". This is Hutch we're talking about! How many would have thought he'd still be an important player for Besiktas at 37? The man is still an excellent footballer who cares about his age!

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Also Sergei Ignashevich for Russia was 38 and postponed retirement at the 2018 world cup and was an important piece in what was Russia's weakest position. They were very close to beating Croatia in that Quarter final and it still upsets me to think about it. 

Yeah Hutchinson as a 39 year old making the team...it would be like a very very slim chance but if he were to make it, then like I said he would be coming off the bench. Herdman if he is still manager and Canada do qualify for Qatar, knowing Herdman Atiba would be coming off the bench.

11 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

Also Sergei Ignashevich for Russia was 38 and postponed retirement at the 2018 world cup and was an important piece in what was Russia's weakest position. They were very close to beating Croatia in that Quarter final and it still upsets me to think about it. 

I'm sure he didn't have any "assistance"

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I'm sure he didn't have any "assistance"

I mean this was just one game against one of the worst teams in the tournament not to mention the first game of the your home tournament in front of Putin himself. I won't say they definitely weren't using because I wouldn't put it past any Russian team but this is not good evidence 

Mauro Silva played until 37, and Donato until 41, both  holding mids on the same team, Deportivo La Coruña. Julian de Guzmán was the player designated to take over from Silva.

The captain of Getafe is a 38-year-old striker, Jorge Molina, he's scored 50 goals for them in the last 4 seasons.

Joaquin, the Betis wing and captain, turns 39 next month. Considering where he plays and the kinds of fouls he is exposed to, he's a wonder of nature, apart from being one of the funniest footballers in Spain. When Betis beat Barça at Camp Nou last year, and they subbed him off mid 2nd half, we gave him a standing ovation, he's an icon.

I know they’re a different case but you get goalies who are 40+ in world cups from time to time. In 2018, Egypt’s was 45 and even saved a penalty iirc. 

Atiba still has quality and is a calming presence out there, I trust him not to lose possession more than others. Even if he’s used as a sub to preserve the lead or whatever, I’d like to see him stick around until 2022. He deserves to play in a World Cup if we qualify. 

Edited by Bdog

6 hours ago, Strait Red said:

The first WC I remember watching was 82 in Spain. Milla and Cameroon had a great tournament! Italy won with Dino Zoff in goal, and he was in his early 40’s at the time (I think)

Okay and Zoff was a goalkeeper right? Goalkeepers can play into their 40s and last time I checked Atiba Hutchinson is not a goalkeeper.

Yeah okay sure he can stick around until 2022 but 2 years, he will be 39. At best, Canada should they qualify, Atiba is coming off the bench as a sub. He will not be in the starting 11 and that is just the fact of the matter. Yeah he will get to play in a World Cup but as a sub but it all comes down to Canada qualifying for Qatar 2022. Unless Canada qualifies, then really there is no point in having the conversation anymore.

Just now, TGAA_Star said:

Okay and Zoff was a goalkeeper right? Goalkeepers can play into their 40s and last time I checked Atiba Hutchinson is not a goalkeeper.

Yeah okay sure he can stick around until 2022 but 2 years, he will be 39. At best, Canada should they qualify, Atiba is coming off the bench as a sub. He will not be in the starting 11 and that is just the fact of the matter. Yeah he will get to play in a World Cup but as a sub but it all comes down to Canada qualifying for Qatar 2022. Unless Canada qualifies, then really there is no point in having the conversation anymore.

If he’s good enough to play in Qatar I don’t care if he’s 50, he’s playing.