Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

10 minutes ago, Kent said:

I am open to the idea. If those guys are playing for their clubs and doing well in training, I don’t see why not. Pieter doesn’t have any games between the two national team games. Fraser probably won’t play either. Osorio still has at least one game, but could be done after Wednesday. If those players aren’t as sharp and Hutch and Eustaquio are fitting well into the system Herdman wants in training, sure, put them in the game.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the mid choices for the game then. 

On 10/19/2019 at 7:24 PM, JuicyHam said:

If i'm being honest as much as I like Piette i'd rather see our CDMs be Atiba and Eustáquio 

Piette had a monster game, he needs to play. I don't get all the love for Eustaquio. Looks good on paper but no one has ever seen him play and he's coming off a major injury. Unless he gets some serious minutes for Cruz Azul between now and Nov 15th, I don't think he sees the field for CMNT. Hutch on the other hand...

42 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Piette had a monster game, he needs to play. I don't get all the love for Eustaquio. Looks good on paper but no one has ever seen him play and he's coming off a major injury. Unless he gets some serious minutes for Cruz Azul between now and Nov 15th, I don't think he sees the field for CMNT. Hutch on the other hand...

For reference, he was an unused sub yesterday for Besiktas in their Europa League game.  Not sure if that means anything - he went the full 90 for them on the weekend.  

I think it is just squad rotation/managing his minutes. 

Besiktas are having a dreadful campaign though. I think they are still in 12th in the league and are bottom of their EL group.

The have been in a slump for a long time now. Several of the players remain, but it feels like a shell of the team who won championships back-to-back in 2016,-17 and 2017-18 (I think I have those dates correct..).

2 hours ago, johnyb said:

Watched him plenty of times in Portugal.

Pre injury, he would've been the best mid in our team imo. He's not a "pitbull" like Piette, but the guy was very reliable. Good vision and passer. Calm with the ball. He was just a much better player all around than Piette. He's closer to Bradley style compared to Piette.

However, this is before the injury. A injury like the one he suffered may very well impact his performance from now on, I have no idea.

Piette had a good game. But he still showed worrying signs that I often see from him. He gets overaggressive and exposes the players behind him and still struggles with pacey/tricky players.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:50 PM, Colliedor said:

Watched him plenty of times in Portugal.

Pre injury, he would've been the best mid in our team imo. He's not a "pitbull" like Piette, but the guy was very reliable. Good vision and passer. Calm with the ball. He was just a much better player all around than Piette. He's closer to Bradley style compared to Piette.

However, this is before the injury. A injury like the one he suffered may very well impact his performance from now on, I have no idea.

Piette had a good game. But he still showed worrying signs that I often see from him. He gets overaggressive and exposes the players behind him and still struggles with pacey/tricky players.

Pre-injury, he was very impressive.  Think Michael Bradley but slightly less grit and a smaller engine but no brain farts and much better passing.

• 1 month later...

Usually players don’t last this long at this club and Hutch has really endeared himself to the locals. There have been rumours of putting a statue of him in front of Vodafone Park once he retires and to celebrate the two championships he brought to Beşiktaş.  Fans I shared a döner with after the match were all for the club doing it.  People in Canada don’t know how much the man means to the massive fan base here.

I’ve been visiting Istanbul for the past week (and staying in Beşiktaş about a 7 min walk to the stadium).  As a shameless plug, for anyone who has never been here before, the city is amazingly chaotic but so much fun.  Would highly recommend as a vacation spot and try to take in a match-the noise is absolutely deafening.  I now even have an official Turkish football ID card (obligatory to attend a match here) and registered as a Beşiktaş supporter.

Edited by JamboAl

• 1 month later...

As of Feb 07, Hutchinson is tied for second in scoring for Besiktas with 4 goals, and ranks 3rd on the team in assists with 4. This is from 17 games played. That is very, very good.

I am not sure if they are lucky to have Hutchinson or if his numbers are an indictment on where the club is at, because they currently sit in 7th place.

Either way, Hutchinson is quietly having a very good season. His contributions seem to have been overlooked in the excitement around Davies and David and even Millar. Meanwhile, Atiba at 36 years old (37 as if tomorrow) is having a season that few concacaf players can match, at least on an individual level.

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

As of Feb 07, Hutchinson is tied for second in scoring for Besiktas with 4 goals, and ranks 3rd on the team in assists with 4. This is from 17 games played. That is very, very good.

I am not sure if they are lucky to have Hutchinson or if his numbers are an indictment on where the club is at, because they currently sit in 7th place.

Either way, Hutchinson is quietly having a very good season. His contributions seem to have been overlooked in the excitement around Davies and David and even Millar. Meanwhile, Atiba at 36 years old (37 as if tomorrow) is having a season that few concacaf players can match, at least on an individual level.

And some people were saying they maybe wouldn’t start him in the rematch against the States in November had he been available. At 37 years old (b-day is tomorrow), he’s still our best DM. Guy has the Pirlo DNA... ages like fine wine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played another full match for Beşiktaş today. As others have posted, he is 37 now!

Shortly after his birthday he told the Turkish press that he thinks he has 1 more year left in him.
His contract expires in June but I wouldn't be surprised if they renewed it for either 6 months or 1 year.
http://www.fanatik.com.tr/atiba-hutchinson-1-yilim-daha-oldugunu-dusunuyorum-2121881

Seeing as :
-Beşiktaş is not playing in the Turkish Cup, the Europa League or the Champions League
-Hutchinson has no travel for the month of March (all his games will be in Istanbul)
-He doesn't seem to be dealing with any fitness or injury issues

I wonder if he might get a call for the T&T friendlies. Certainly the people of Vancouver Island should have a chance to see a legend of the #CanMNT in action.
It would also make it easier for a guy like Liam Millar to go down to Guadalajara with the U23s.

He is still 6 caps away from beating de Guzman's #CanMNT record.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

Plus it being T & T, is a specially one for him & family! 

True I guess - I forgot about his heritage. His family are all in the GTA as far as I know, so I don't know how special it would be for his family unless they all fly from Toronto to Victoria but I'm sure it will be a special match for them to watch if he plays.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Turkish Süper Lig to resume on Friday.
Beşiktaş to play Saturday.

Hutchinson described the training regimen as a military-style boot-camp as they attempt to bring everybody back to full fitness.
http://www.yeniakit.com.tr/haber/atiba-hutchinson-umraniye-nevzat-demir-tesisleri-komando-egitim-merkezi-gibi-oldu-1261073.html

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

If Hutchinson can stay healthy and committed...37 right now, but he still plays regularly at Besiktas...

Is it crazy for me to hang my hopes on Hutchinson here?  

His contract expires at the end of June. One of the board members of the club, Erdal Torunoğulları, has told the press they are seeking a contract extension.
They want him back. :) And why not; he's still playing very well!
http://www.cnnturk.com/spor/futbol/gokhan-caner-ve-atiba-aciklamasi

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille