Jump to content
Obinna

Atiba Hutchinson

Recommended Posts

With Dzemaili and Piette already there and Montreal needing a CAM like Thibault Moulin (rather than another no.8 or no.6), I've got no idea why they'd want to sign Atiba, honestly.

Would prefer if he stayed at Besiktas. 

Edited by saladroit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saladroit said:

With Dzemaili and Piette already there and Montreal needing a CAM like Thibault Moulin (rather than another no.8 or no.6), I've got no idea why they'd want to sign Atiba, honestly.

Would prefer if he stayed at Besiktas. 

I agree that that would be best for the national team, but from an Impact perspective, Atiba is a pretty significant upgrade over Piette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shakmur said:

According.to tvasports (Vincent Destouches), IMFC are currently looking to sign Atiba. Most likely for June, i'm guessing.

Would be sad to see him leave turkey for Montreal but he has said he wants to return to MLS but sadly he does not seem to be a fit for TFC with Bradley in there. They could probably play together with Vazquez ahead of them, but I don't see that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be a straight like for like with Piette? Dont Besikas and cmnt slot Hutch in other spots??  Hate to see him take all Piette's playing time.  But I would love for him to get a victory lap in Canada like Brennan and Bernier got.  Still playing at a high level, come home and finally be appreciated by the fans, then get your coaching license etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Isn't Atiba known for his versatility? CAM at FCK, RB at PSV, CM/CDM at Besiktas...

If an MLS team is signing him to a multi-year deal, it'll be at CDM or CB. Still has great stamina, but MLS is as physically demanding a league as there is. You don't want to force a 35 year old into covering CM/RB distances in a more physical league than he is used to with one less recovery day a week than he is used to. There is a reason players like Schweinsteiger, Kaka and Lampard can't get through 10 games healthy in this league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if he sits some games to rest, plays a few at CB or RB, then Piette will still get minutes.  But I dont think when they brought Piette in he thought they would bring in an upgrade at his position half a season later.  If you want to make Sam the poster boy for the franchise (and reach his full potential), he needs to play every week.  Maybe that is the kind of playing time Hutch will be looking for, sitting out some field turf games, playing CB/RB occasionally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hutch would be a great addition to the Impact and Piette and Hutch can both be on the field at the same time. Regardless, Hutch would be a major upgrade for the impact.

Also, no reason why he would play RB for the Impact, they would need him to play a more pivotal role as a mid.

slightly confused with some of the comments on this page....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Puzzled myself w this rumour. What’s NDS thinking. I thought IMFC were breaking away from the older player recipe and going instead w youth and French cuisine. 

Yeah would be nice to see Hutchison in bbn but curious to see how far he’d go in CL not to mention MLS isn’t too friendly at players his age especially when lacking the supporting talent he’s been accustomed to in Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atiba would be the best midfielder in the league, hands down. If IMFC sign Hutchinson, it most likely isn't to play him as a RB, obviously he would play a midfield role. He would be a direct replacement for Bernier, and I dont see why he couldnt do even better than what Bernier, at 38, was still doing in the midfield, it's a similar role to what he's doing at Besiktas.

Another thing is that people shouldnt jump to conclusions about him replacing Piette, we're not even sure what formation Garde is going to play. There's no reason he wouldnt field both, it would be foolish not to.

FYI, the rumor is being echoed today in Turkish media outlets.

Edited by Shakmur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure folks know what Atiba makes. I once read he was making a million euros a year, which was one of the lowest amounts amongst Besiktas regular starters. He was not one of their best paid players. 

Meaning that signing a few years at a million US or close to it would ensure continuity on that level, coming to MLS would never mean a huge step down financially for him, even making under a million US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not sure folks know what Atiba makes. I once read he was making a million euros a year, which was one of the lowest amounts amongst Besiktas regular starters. He was not one of their best paid players. 

Meaning that signing a few years at a million US or close to it would ensure continuity on that level, coming to MLS would never mean a huge step down financially for him, even making under a million US.

He has had 2 raises since then. Up to 1.5M and then 2-something on the last contract after Bilic/West Ham showed interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

He has had 2 raises since then. Up to 1.5M and then 2-something on the last contract after Bilic/West Ham showed interest.

Well I am pleased for him because seeing him behind his teammates bothered me.

What sort of years does he have left on his current contract?

If he has a couple years at that salary, going to Impact now, or even ever, makes little sense. Unless there is a serious family issue out there, I'd say. Because I am not sure he should be making more than 2 million in MLS, is he that kind of player, at his age?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well I am pleased for him because seeing him behind his teammates bothered me.

What sort of years does he have left on his current contract?

If he has a couple years at that salary, going to Impact now, or even ever, makes little sense. Unless there is a serious family issue out there, I'd say. Because I am not sure he should be making more than 2 million in MLS, is he that kind of player, at his age?

He signed a 2 yr deal in 2016 so his contract is up this coming summer. I'd say he signs another 2 yr deal at a similar salary. He's playing the best soccer of his career and he's one of their most important players, both sides should be keen to keep a good thing going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jpg75 said:

He signed a 2 yr deal in 2016 so his contract is up this coming summer. I'd say he signs another 2 yr deal at a similar salary. He's playing the best soccer of his career and he's one of their most important players, both sides should be keen to keep a good thing going.

In normal circumstances they would have to be happy. They just gave up a dumb league draw but are still in range of the league lead, in a tight race this year with about 6 teams close to the top; and are into the knockout round of Champions. But vs. Bayern, so it's a raw deal, what more can they reasonably ask?

A team like that cannot imagine to win Champions, they are not in the Man City or PSG mode right now, far from it. At Madrid could reasonably think they could win it some year, after two finals. Shaktar has been better and more into the mix over recent years than Besiktas. Surely they cannot expect more than deep runs in Champions, maybe a luckier draw some year and a quarter final, and consistent leagues in Turkey?

I mean, just a few years ago Málaga played a Champions League quarter that they almost got through. 

Meaning: would they get rid of him to upgrade as they build an even stronger team? Only to really create a CL contender, like the ones mentioned. Or do they realize it can't realistically get much better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shakmur said:

Atiba would be the best midfielder in the league, hands down. If IMFC sign Hutchinson, it most likely isn't to play him as a RB, obviously he would play a midfield role. He would be a direct replacement for Bernier, and I dont see why he couldnt do even better than what Bernier, at 38, was still doing in the midfield, it's a similar role to what he's doing at Besiktas.

Another thing is that people shouldnt jump to conclusions about him replacing Piette, we're not even sure what formation Garde is going to play. There's no reason he wouldnt field both, it would be foolish not to.

FYI, the rumor is being echoed today in Turkish media outlets.

He wouldn't even be the best midfielder playing on a Cdn MLS club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Meaning: would they get rid of him to upgrade as they build an even stronger team? Only to really create a CL contender, like the ones mentioned. Or do they realize it can't realistically get much better?

Good question. I guess it is possible they could think about replacing him, but at what cost? Who can they reasonably believe they're capable of attracting to play for them that would be an upgrade on Atiba and how much would that cost in salary and potential transfer fee? Couple of years ago Fenerbahce brought in Mehmet Topal to replace Emre who was 35 years old and still playing well (still is btw at age 37).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know when the MLS transfer window closes but the Impact could do something like they did for Piatti (let him play in the Copa Libertadores final) and let Atiba play against Bayern and then complete the transfer. Realistically Atiba and Besiktas have done as much as they can be expected to do the last few years, winning the league consecutively and advancing this far in the Champions League. Either the winter transfer window or this summer could be the right time for Atiba to leave Turkey with everything that is going on in that corner of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Prune_55 said:

He wouldn't even be the best midfielder playing on a Cdn MLS club.

That's definitely debatable. Michael Bradley and Victor Vazquez have been incredible, albeit different players. You could make an argument for Dzemaili too, and then there's "the rest" of the central midfielders. I'd expect Hutchinson to be in that group, but until he actually comes and proves it like the aforementioned....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's definitely debatable. Michael Bradley and Victor Vazquez have been incredible, albeit different players. You could make an argument for Dzemaili too, and then there's "the rest" of the central midfielders. I'd expect Hutchinson to be in that group, but until he actually comes and proves it like the aforementioned....

You can definetely compare Bradley and Hutch but not Vasquez. He plays in a more attacking role, while Hutch almost always stays back while attacking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...