Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

13 hours ago, Gordon said:

I don't see it. Atiba has had a very good, well compensated career. For him to play in CanPL would be equivalent of a career NHLer going to the southern professional hockey league. It only happens if Hutchinson is doing it for charitable reasons IMO. A few dream of playing until they are 40 "just because", but most are content to go when they can no longer keep up with their level...

He would go there to support the league. Like Beckham did for MLS

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you want to live with your fantasies, fine, no one is stopping you. But don't think you are not being aggressive jerks to keep insisting on total fantasy when anyone dares to point out the CPL does not exist, is very likely not going to anytime soon, and if it does it will be shoestring and be in danger of failure from day one. That is the reality, I am not being an asshole by pointing it out: you are by whining so hard when it gets mentioned. 

Whoa, let's slow down here. Your my dog but I haven't seen one person in this thread act the way you described here. I and dyslexic nam took issue with you saying "ever", nothing more. That's not whining. That was just a couple of us confronting your absolute opinion, which doesn't really leave room for debate when you say stuff like that.

Edited by Macksam

If Hutch hasn't retired, I wouldn't mind experimenting with him ball-playing centre back. He's played in the back line before and it's a need for us and he'll easily compliment someone like Vitoria.

We can easily fill his midfield spot with a mixture of Arfield, Johnson, Tiebert, Osorio, Chapman, etc..

saw he hasn't been in the matchday lineup for besiktas the last few weeks. is he injured? this may prevent him from playing in the Gold Cup (if he was even considering it)

edit: looks like he is almost fully recovered from the injury 

Edited by king1010

8 hours ago, Macksam said:

Whoa, let's slow down here. Your my dog but I haven't seen one person in this thread act the way you described here. I and dyslexic nam took issue with you saying "ever", nothing more. That's not whining. That was just a couple of us confronting your absolute opinion, which doesn't really leave room for debate when you say stuff like that.

So I am being overbearing, exaggerated and apparently am not reading other threads carefully. What is new, sorry about that.

I am actually as fanatical about a Canadian league as anyone, I hate having to share with the States. I would love to have a working league, but am fully aware that Canadian business people do not have the same ambition and love for sports as the Americans, nor do I believe we have the acumen. Sorry to say it, but I really believe it is so, we are not as ambitious or rigorous as the Americans.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So I am being overbearing, exaggerated and apparently am not reading other threads carefully. What is new, sorry about that.

I am actually as fanatical about a Canadian league as anyone, I hate having to share with the States. I would love to have a working league, but am fully aware that Canadian business people do not have the same ambition and love for sports as the Americans, nor do I believe we have the acumen. Sorry to say it, but I really believe it is so, we are not as ambitious or rigorous as the Americans.

In general I would agree, but these business people obviously see something when it comes to the potential that Canadian professional soccer has or this thing would not have even got this far.

I honestly think the public is going to fall in love with our version of the game. The overall level of play will be below MLS from the get go no doubt, but I truly believe our domestic players will be street savy and show a level of guile, true grit and creativity that the average suburban US domestic doesn't possess. We'll have a unique brand of soccer that will be more authentic than MLS. I'm thinking a Croatian or Uruguay first division, but with the potential for real good financies in the future.

Edited by Macksam

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I totally agree with that about Canadian business people. It seems like the absolute pinnacle for a Canadian business is to be successful enough to be bought by a big American business. It's annoying and a little depressing.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I totally agree with that about Canadian business people. It seems like the absolute pinnacle for a Canadian business is to be successful enough to be bought by a big American business. It's annoying and a little depressing.

True... But for me the reality is in the numbers. And we're putting the cart before the horse here. We're not going to pay a lot if the crowds and sponsors don't turn out. 2000 fans and a tiny sponsorship deal won't support much in terms of payroll.

The fact that the Edmonton shirt sponsor is the team owner, whereas I saw this week Indy has secured Honda as a sponsor, is bloody depressing. I hope it's not too indicative. But my only hope is if Edmonton packed Clarke week in and week out they would have a real sponsor.

If the CanPL starts out with crowds in the 2000-5000 range, that would be a success in my mind.

I don't think we can compare ourselves with Indy or Sacramento. Those teams are gunning for MLS and I suspect a big part of their support today is driven by their dreams of tomorrow. They are getting MLS level crowds but those who don't get in will see a dip in attendance. You heard it here first. Hopefully there's enough momentum to keep their numbers above 10,000 per game. I think they'll achieve that.

For us, there is no prospect of joining MLS so that driver is not there. In fact, I don't know what factor would push crowds above your typical FCE or Fury crowd? Certainly not the all-canadian factor. That is only a factor for us, not for the population at large. I think we see crowds averaging around 3,000 to 5,000 and that'll be a success.

From the article in the post above, don't expect Hutchinson at the Gold Cup

Zambrano says while he has had good conversations with Hutchinson, it looks like he will not be part of the Gold Cup. Hutchinson wants to take time off to allow a nagging quad injury to heal.

"My hope is come (World Cup) qualifiers, if he's healthy that he will collaborate with us," said Zambrano who called Hutchinson one of the best players Canada has ever produced.

On 2015-05-01 at 5:59 PM, TFC07 said:

Maybe it's possible that Hutch wants to come home?  

I personally believe Hutch will eventually play for TFC some time in the future.   Rather be this year or next year, he will end his career as TFC player.   

No sorry being a TFC fan either he comes soon , or as my bros in Brooklyn say" forget about it", an old man Atiba would be a bad look for him, look at Pirlo can't even get a game for NYCFC anymore, and how good Atiba is and has been a Pirlo he was not, not even close , so somehow an Atiba will come to MLS as an old man like Pirlo but will be able to play well, don't see it. Unfortunately a part from us hard core on here and a few casuals the vast majority of sports fans have no clue who he is, so he comes to MLS as a real old man and can't really keep up anymore and this is the lasting impression the casuals who have never really known him will have of the player, no thanks. Either he comes soon or " forget about it", let's all remember him for the talent he was, let's not have some casuals who have never really know him say " wow who is that guy he sucks".

29 minutes ago, 1996 said:

No sorry being a TFC fan either he comes soon , or as my bros in Brooklyn say" forget about it", an old man Atiba would be a bad look for him, look at Pirlo can't even get a game for NYCFC anymore, and how good Atiba is and has been a Pirlo he was not, not even close , so somehow an Atiba will come to MLS as an old man like Pirlo but will be able to play well, don't see it. Unfortunately a part from us hard core on here and a few casuals the vast majority of sports fans have no clue who he is, so he comes to MLS as a real old man and can't really keep up anymore and this is the lasting impression the casuals who have never really known him will have of the player, no thanks. Either he comes soon or " forget about it", let's all remember him for the talent he was, let's not have some casuals who have never really know him say " wow who is that guy he sucks".

Agree.  It's tough to see TFC sign him at this point.  Especially now with Victor Vasquez using the TAM slot and playing so well.  And while I think Hutchinson could replace Bradley at a fraction of the cost (Bradley gets $6.5million btw...) it wouldn't make sense unless Bradley was already leaving and you need a holdover for a year before you get another young long-term player.

Vancouver seems like it would be the most likely option if it happens at all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-05-29 at 0:52 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Drogba is not "playing" for Phoenix, he is their lost leader for negotiations with MLS. He is not being paid to play, if you think that then you must believe Lady Gaga or Rhianna spend their free time making fragrances with her name on them. In a laboratory. With real rose petals. The same petals you are looking at the CPL through.

It is promotional, obviously, and it seems to be working. Take the total cost of an MLS franchise, the cost to get the bid together and considered, which is an entry fee of 150 million dollars, and all the budget to get there. Paying Drogba two million a year (I have no idea what he's making) is a tiny % of the project, it is miniscule, it would be near 1% of the total bid cost.

45D3BCEA-5668-425B-9B39-583E78047E4A-1002-00000148749DF169.jpeg

33 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Rumour: Apparently the Whitecaps have offered 5 million for Atiba.  No link, this is from a Besiktas supporter I know.

I would love for the 'Caps to sign Atiba, but I can't see them paying that fee for a 34 year old defensive midfielder.

6 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I would love for the 'Caps to sign Atiba, but I can't see them paying that fee for a 34 year old defensive midfielder.

Funny.  From everything the Caps fans are saying in the MLS section about Tchani, Atiba is exactly what they need.

My understanding is that the league is prepared to help the Caps out in some way, financially. (I honestly do not understand how that would work, mind you.)

And what Atiba brings is NOT merely "a 34 year old defensive midfielder". What they get is a player like Michael Bradley who will boss the midfield AND create. His distribution is fantastic, as is his ability to hold the ball and switch play. It will allow Bola to play on his favoured wing, and it will be a massive upgrade on Tchani, Tiebert and Jacobson. 

31 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Funny.  From everything the Caps fans are saying in the MLS section about Tchani, Atiba is exactly what they need.

I agree completely. He could have a massive influence on the squad. Vancouver just don't seem like a club that would break their transfer record on an aging star, with no chance of recouping any of that money on a resale. I suppose Atiba could be a special situation though, particularly if there are plans to keep him with the club after retirement. 

A no brainer if it's true, he has done a lot overseas already and at his age very unlikely an even bigger club is going to come calling, take the money and play your last years in the MLS and maybe leave a positive mark in the league by playing well so at least more Canadian sports fans other than the hardcore can know who he is before he is too old.