Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I would say those games were not exactly critical or high profile games.  Nations league was important in the sence that we needed at the time to improve our ranking so that (in the old qualifying format).  But in the bigger picture,  they are not WCQ nor WC matches.   WC and WCQ take on a whole new meaning when you talking prestige and legacy.  So i see it as normal that someone in their late thirties would pick and choose and be more selective when it comes to leaving the club and home base to fly around the globe to play in what are essentially freindlies. Or,  in this case, something that was close to a friendlies.  

Atiba carried an injury from the 2019 GC and did not play in the early part of the season for Besiktas. It's understanable he decided to skip the pair of games vs the US. He has to really take care of his body. I don't think he's done with the CMNT but a lot depends on how he holds up.

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

At this point, it's pretty clear that Atiba's essentially on a 1-year rolling contract, renewed every summer so long as he remains a productive member of the playing squad.

I see it the same way.

He actually had his most productive season in the goals department, scoring 6 in 30 league games. He also played more as a center mid than a defensive mid, based on the line ups I have seen. I had only seen a couple of games, not enough to confirm, but it would make sense that he is scoring more if he is playing just a little closer to goal.

21 hours ago, Big_M said:

The goodbye tour begins

One has to think he'll try to extend his playing and CANMNT career until 2022.  Its every players dream to play a WC.  He's not that far, still playing more than well in a strong league.  

IF we qualify, I bet a Canadian beer and Tim Hortons donut he gets on the field.  THAT will be his goodbye tour.

https://bjk.com.tr/tr/haber/79327/yeni-sezon-hazirliklari-devam-ediyor.html#

Gets a special mention in their official training summary yesterday, also pictures of him and Larin the gallery. 

Edit: not sure if it has been mentioned but they start Champions League Qualifying (second round) on the 25th v. Panathinaikos. Single leg tie. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I am not ready to bid Hutch a teary-eyed farewell.  A team like Besiktas doesn’t keep resigning (and starting) a player for sentimental reasons.  Hutch is still playing top level footy as a starter and 90-minute engine of a team competing at a really high level.  If he feels the needs to limit his total playing time due to wear and tear and ends his CMNT journey, then so be it. But until I hear that from him I have him in our starting 11.  

On 8/16/2020 at 12:06 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

https://bjk.com.tr/tr/haber/79327/yeni-sezon-hazirliklari-devam-ediyor.html#

Gets a special mention in their official training summary yesterday, also pictures of him and Larin the gallery. 

Edit: not sure if it has been mentioned but they start Champions League Qualifying (second round) on the 25th v. Panathinaikos. Single leg tie. 

Tough draw for them. 

For the Bermuda game he should be there. For that game Canada should have its best team possible. Hutch is still one of the best CDM we have. Bermuda is most dangerous team we are going to be playing against in the group. For me I wouldn’t be taking any chances. They played Mexico really well and almost came out with a draw. Also if they get some new players they could be tougher. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday one soccer had a brilliant hangout session about the gold cup and everything about the national team moving forward that’s posted on YouTube. I recommend giving it a listen. About 29 minutes in they are talking about centre back being the weakest position and Iain Hume (who had many great points throughout) said you could put Atiba back there, he called him the best holding mid we currently have and he said it allows us to have Arfield and Piette in the starting 11 with Atiba. 

Remember Hume and Hutchinson are Brampton buddies and I would say he knows Atiba would be willing to play there and also this tells me he will play for Canada again or Hume wouldn’t have suggested it. 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yesterday one soccer had a brilliant hangout session about the gold cup and everything about the national team moving forward that’s posted on YouTube. I recommend giving it a listen. About 29 minutes in they are talking about centre back being the weakest position and Iain Hume (who had many great points throughout) said you could put Atiba back there, he called him the best holding mid we currently have and he said it allows us to have Arfield and Piette in the starting 11 with Atiba. 

Remember Hume and Hutchinson are Brampton buddies and I would say he knows Atiba would be willing to play there and also this tells me he will play for Canada again or Hume wouldn’t have suggested it. 

What a stupid idea ! They kinda tried that the last gold cup and it was awful! He’s one of our best midfielders . Play him has a midfielder. I’m sorry if that puts Piette on the bench but that’s how it goes. The best players play. 

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

What a stupid idea ! They kinda tried that the last gold cup and it was awful! He’s one of our best midfielders . Play him has a midfielder. I’m sorry if that puts Piette on the bench but that’s how it goes. The best players play. 

What about RB?

Just now, PiedPilko said:

What about RB?

We have a bunch of good young RBs already? I don’t understand this idea of playing him in a different position. He’s one of best DM we have and he’s playing really well. I know everyone loves Piette but come on he’s not our best options anymore. I’m sorry 

28 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

We have a bunch of good young RBs already? I don’t understand this idea of playing him in a different position. He’s one of best DM we have and he’s playing really well. I know everyone loves Piette but come on he’s not our best options anymore. I’m sorry 

Nah, I'm not worried about Piette starting. Eustaquio and Kaye, I think, are pretty indisputably ahead of him. I just thought that Laryea-Davies and Atiba-Hoilett on the wings would be pretty hard to deal with.

2 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Nah, I'm not worried about Piette starting. Eustaquio and Kaye, I think, are pretty indisputably ahead of him. I just thought that Laryea-Davies and Atiba-Hoilett on the wings would be pretty hard to deal with.

This. our depth chart at CM should be as followed IMO:

1. Hutch

2. Arfield

3. Eustaquio 

4. Kaye

5. Osorio

6. Piette 

On 9/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, SpecialK said:

I can't believe Piette's name still gets mentioned. With Hutch, Eustaqiuo, Kaye, etc, why the hell are coaches and players still talking about Piette as a starter for?

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

I can't believe Piette's name still gets mentioned. With Hutch, Eustaqiuo, Kaye, etc, why the hell are coaches and players still talking about Piette as a starter for?

Because he is an effective player. He's had very few bad games for Canada and he's played a lot of games, so he's experienced. He is dependable. You know what you're going to get with him. He plays a sort of game that is under-appreciated, but the coaches and players will appreciate it, probably a lot more than the fans. As fans it is easier to gravitate to the sexy players, such as Eustaquio. I do it myself, I just love his technique and the way he plays the game. So while I would chose Stephen over Piette if we had to play a game tomorrow, I can see why coaches and players would talk about Piette as a starter. He has been there and done that at the age of just 25. 

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

It's just opinions, man.  Just like there are still a bunch of dudes around here that think Osorio should start before Arfield.