Ayo Akinola

masster

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, narduch said:

I always love it when people come to the CMNT fan forum and question some of us for wanting to see our young players develop. 

But young players have developed under TFC.  As many as three potential starters on the MNT.   A few others got a chance or are getting a chance to show their stuff elsewhere in MLS as a results of having  played or developed through Vanney.   I think that  that is as good as you can ask for.  Can we say the  same for the Whitecaps or Montreal?  The whitecaps won the lottery with one player.   But what about beyond that?  Why are Montreal and Vancouver never held to the same standard as far as development and playing young players?

Winning versus developement will always be a delicate balance.   And development is a trial and error exercise.  You have to strike that balance of winning and developing and TFC, under Vanney, did that.  I also want to see development as well,  but i am also a season ticket holder and its much easier and fun to cheer for winning team.  I wouldnt bother being there if there was no opportunity for development of canadian talent.  But at the same time,  i wouldnt be there either if they are constantly losing because the team is no longer a professional outfit but rather a soccer school.

Edited by Free kick

16 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Didn’t score last night but came close and absolutely worked his socks off. Was a real force holding up the ball and providing a reference point too. 

I think that’s a real asset to this National team if he can keep it up. Our guys out wide (or even Larin) play a lot better next to a capable target man.

I'm sure like many here I am happy I can cheer for him. Although it still feels weird. There was a couple years where I always resented and was annoyed when he played.

3 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Didn’t score last night but came close and absolutely worked his socks off. Was a real force holding up the ball and providing a reference point too. 

I think that’s a real asset to this National team if he can keep it up. Our guys out wide (or even Larin) play a lot better next to a capable target man.

He was exceptional at holding up the ball.  TFC really struggled in this respect when he came off.  Neither Mullins nor Dwyer were able to effectively win and hold up clearances and that's why the majority of the last 15 minutes were spent in TFC's half.

25 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

He was exceptional at holding up the ball.  TFC really struggled in this respect when he came off.  Neither Mullins nor Dwyer were able to effectively win and hold up clearances and that's why the majority of the last 15 minutes were spent in TFC's half.

Dwyer was shocking. Hard to believe this guy is only 31 and was a DP. Useless. 

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

Dwyer was shocking. Hard to believe this guy is only 31 and was a DP. Useless. 

He's really declined. I hope it's just him needing time to find form...

I think Akinola's first touch and work in tight spaces needs improvement for him to be a great hold up player, but his raw strength is absolutely insane. I remember him bullying Andrew Farrell (not in this match, a previous one), who himself is one of the strongest players in MLS. Against DC United last match he shucked a guy with one arm and made him look like a child. It's kinda scary when he gets going just how much he rag dolls grown men.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I think Akinola's first touch and work in tight spaces needs improvement for him to be a great hold up player, but his raw strength is absolutely insane. I remember him bullying Andrew Farrell (not in this match, a previous one), who himself is one of the strongest players in MLS. Against DC United last match he shucked a guy with one arm and made him look like a child. It's kinda scary when he gets going just how much he rag dolls grown men.

I think he may seem a Larin like improvement over time at a higher level. It will be very underrated to get him, that’s my prediction.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Yeah he is a fucking tank. Who would be a top level striker that has a similar profile?

6 minutes ago, frmr said:

Yeah he is a fucking tank. Who would be a top level striker that has a similar profile?

Falcao comes to mind for me (obviously I am not saying he is or will be as good as Falcao)

1 hour ago, frmr said:

The obvious answer is the American TFC striker that he is more or less replacing, and I worry that if he does not pay attention to his physique he will go down the same oft-injured path. At best, he will struggle to maintain his work rate and effort over 90 minutes.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The obvious answer is the American TFC striker that he is more or less replacing, and I worry that if he does not pay attention to his physique he will go down the same oft-injured path. At best, he will struggle to maintain his work rate and effort over 90 minutes.

He said "top level striker". 

39 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Nah. Altidore started as a wide player before a late growth spurt had him fill out and make people think of him more as a target man. His holdup play is nowhere near what it should be for a guy his size.

25 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Nah. Altidore started as a wide player before a late growth spurt had him fill out and make people think of him more as a target man. His holdup play is nowhere near what it should be for a guy his size.

There are some similarities between the two, but I agree it is a lazy/easy comparison. FWIW I think Altidore is a better hold up player than Akinola, he has a better touch and is really good at pinning and rolling guys.

13 minutes ago, El Diego said:

There are some similarities between the two, but I agree it is a lazy/easy comparison. FWIW I think Altidore is a better hold up player than Akinola, he has a better touch and is really good at pinning and rolling guys.

Yeah Altidore's smart holdup play was the start of many Giovinco highlight reel goals.

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

To be fair, last night was definitely the high water mark in terms of hold up play for Akinola. 

To me he’s sort of in that category that is either providing an outlet and passing it off quickly or is riding the last shoulder of the defender trying to get in behind. Altidore, in comparison, will drop in and play between the lines more frequently. Which makes sense, cause he’s better with the ball at his feet.

I’ve never loved Altidore’s hold up play to be honest. If the team has possession around the box or for quick 2-1 situations, it’s good. But if you’re talking about knocking down a ball at midfield and retaining possession, I found him too unconventional. Like he didn’t want to put himself in a compromising position in winning the ball with his back to the defender or he was more preoccupied with knocking the CB around rather than winning the challenge.

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What is Herdman saying here about him having to see us qualify for 2022? I can’t be the only one confused.. 

I think it is just shorthand for the Ocho.  At this point obviously no one has qualified for 2022 - us or the US. So I assume it is just a not that we still have a ton of meaningful and massively important games ahead of us over the next year (just like the US).  So if we would have missed out on the Ocho, we probably would have lost him to the US - or at least seen him delay any international decision for years.  

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What is Herdman saying here about him having to see us qualify for 2022? I can’t be the only one confused.. 

He means the Ocho.

Also, hard not to love John Herdman. I say this as a guy who was critical of his appointment. This man exudes integrity whenever he speaks and his relationships with his players is real. That arguably trumps tactics when the going gets tough.