Ayo Akinola

masster

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Plus playing Honduras, El Salvador or Panama away in WCQ is a daunting task and many of the US players have not had that pleasure yet. The Cdn players you mentioned plus Larin, Henry & Cavallini have been there before, so hopefully that will help us this time around

Players who have gone through at least 1 qualifying cycle:

Canada: Larin, Hoilett, Atiba, Arfield, Piette, Osorio, Borjan, Akindele

USA: Zardes, Brooks, Ream, Pulisic, Arriola, Morris (?)

I bolded the players who are likely to play a significant role in the third round of concacaf world cup qualifying.

As you can see, we outnumber them on experience 7 to 3. Furthermore, some of those players like Atiba and Borjan have been through multiple cycles (Piette too I believe).

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I bolded the players who are likely to play a significant role in the third round of concacaf world cup qualifying.

As you can see, we outnumber them on experience 7 to 3. Furthermore, some of those players like Atiba and Borjan have been through multiple cycles (Piette too I believe).

Piette made his WCQ debut under Hart so 2 cycles. If Henry is fit Herdman will select him, so that's one more

Just now, BrennanFan said:

We have zero experience in the final round of qualifying where a world cup birth is in reach. Those games will be pressure cookers the likes of which none of our players have experienced before. 

Some of our players will be able to draw on experiences like previous WCQ, and club situations like the CCL, Old Firm and Istanbul derby. But collectively we will be very inexperienced. 

Herdman, of course, will be the least experienced individual involved. I hope he remembers to bring multiple changes of underwear for when he experiences the away atmospheres in Honduras and Mexico. His total and utter lack of experience with the intensity of away grounds in the men's game is his most glaring deficiency, and when push comes to shove, what can he really bring to the table in these situations? Not much. 

17 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Some of our players will be able to draw on experiences like previous WCQ, and club situations like the CCL, Old Firm and Istanbul derby. But collectively we will be very inexperienced. 

Herdman, of course, will be the least experienced individual involved. I hope he remembers to bring multiple changes of underwear for when he experiences the away atmospheres in Honduras and Mexico. His total and utter lack of experience with the intensity of away grounds in the men's game is his most glaring deficiency, and when push comes to shove, what can he really bring to the table in these situations? Not much. 

Didn't he admit to losing his nerve in the Haiti game? I recall him saying part of the reason things fell apart because the players sniffed out his panic.

He said he learned his lesson from that, and I hope so, because very soon they'll be more to play for against Haiti than a trip to the Gold Cup semi-final. 

38 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

It’s wild how little chatter there is about Ayo in reference to TFC recently, barely mentioned with all the talk about TFC injury issues, who is coming back to availability, etc

Literally this....but it makes sense when your high value guys are on that list... Oso, Poz, Jozy, and Mavinga 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

So much experience that they cracked against Haiti right? They sure have experience alright, and not the good kind.

Seriously, the players themselves may have been around longer, but that doesn't mean they have a lot of international experience as a team (they don't, we barely play), and so far a lot of good all that "experience" has done them. Leaning on someone usually works better when that someone knows what it takes to get over a bar...

and oh... that's an interesting way to try and quantify "experience"

Edited by LeoH037

13 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

So much experience that they cracked against Haiti right? They sure have experience alright, and not the good kind.

Seriously, the players themselves may have been around longer, but that doesn't mean they have a lot of international experience as a team (they don't, we barely play), and so far a lot of good all that "experience" has done them. Leaning on someone usually works better when that someone knows what it takes to get over a bar...

Very few sides get very far at senior level with essentially a U23 side.  You need a mix of experience and youth.  And experiences like blowing up against a Haiti are what adds to experience.  I have said before and will say it again. The US has a golden generation of young talent and on that alone they should easily qualify. But they like any young side will have their ups and downs in the octagon and it will really depend how they come together or not during those tough moments when the pressure is on. 

4 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Very few sides get very far at senior level with essentially a U23 side.  You need a mix of experience and youth.  And experiences like blowing up against a Haiti are what adds to experience.  I have said before and will say it again. The US has a golden generation of young talent and on that alone they should easily qualify. But they like any young side will have their ups and downs in the octagon and it will really depend how they come together or not during those tough moments when the pressure is on. 

I agree. I just think the entire premise of using experience as viable thing we got going for us over other teams in CONCACAF funny.

40 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I know we don't have a lot of experience as a team. I acknowledged that already.

What I am saying is that Canada has more veteran players with greater individual experience, and I think that counts for something. You may find what I am saying funny, but would you say we are better off without seasoned professionals like Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett, etc.? 

Furthermore, would you argue against the idea that the individual experience of veterans helps a team in the long run? That idea is tested and true and goes beyond just soccer.

I want to make it clear that I am not saying our veterans makes us better than the states, nor am I saying they'll ensure our path to qualification. Will it help more than it will hurt? Can't see how it wouldn't, can you?

Similarly, the states would be better with more veteran players. Why? Because we know veteran players help a team. Right now they are basically an U-23 team.  I am sure the day will come when they will be a force. Those talented players will gain individual experience but more importantly, team experience. 

Edited by Obinna

https://www.transfermarkt.us/ayo-akinola/nationalmannschaft/spieler/370979

Does Transfermarkt know something?

9 United States United States Dec 10, 2020 1 1 Gregg Berhalter 20 years 10 months 20 days
- Canada Canada - - -    
7 United States United States U20 Sep 7, 2018 12 9 Tab Ramos 18 years 07 months 18 days
- United States United States U19 - - -    
- United States United States U17 Dec 2, 2015 32 24 Richie Williams 15 years 10 months 12 days
- United States United States U15 Apr 25, 2015 7 5 John Hackworth 15 years 03 months 05 days