Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who's on their high horse??  If you choose to help anther nation, bring glory to their program, win trophies for them etc I think that does say something about how much or what kind of CDN you are.  I

Not to pile on, but I am defending the maple leaf on this one.  Larin played at Sigma until he was 18 (and played in Canada up until that time).  Playing 39 games in NCAA doesn’t diminish that. 

He probably also get nailed to the bench once Altidore returns too. I can't wait until TFC loses its American influence. I've had season tickets since season 1 and I'm tired of being Team America

Posted Images

12 hours ago, red card said:

Canadian supporters are more neurotic than overconfident while American supporters overconfidence is a top 3 trait. They even have developed a genre of extrapolating success in a small sample size to infinity. Americans do dominate a lot of team sports, so they assumed, same thing would happen in men's soccer.

There are threads on Mexican forums highlighting the dumbest posts of Americans - this forum made it for the first time with the "When will Canada overtake Mexico" thread.

Credit has to go their sports media who are experts at hyperbole. There was an article this week on espn fc which already assumed the US was headed to Qatar - so only question remaining for them was who is on the roster besides Pulisic.

The jury is out on the current group of senior team players but the team that missed out on WC 18 was slagged by many for being over confident or even arrogant. The failure of the Olympic team was deemed by some due to arrogance by US Soccer management.

 

I can sense their fear...knowing it will eventually happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, red card said:

Canadian supporters are more neurotic than overconfident while American supporters overconfidence is a top 3 trait. They even have developed a genre of extrapolating success in a small sample size to infinity. Americans do dominate a lot of team sports, so they assumed, same thing would happen in men's soccer.

There are threads on Mexican forums highlighting the dumbest posts of Americans - this forum made it for the first time with the "When will Canada overtake Mexico" thread.

Credit has to go their sports media who are experts at hyperbole. There was an article this week on espn fc which already assumed the US was headed to Qatar - so only question remaining for them was who is on the roster besides Pulisic.

To be fair that thread was started by An American poster who comes here sometimes to troll and many on this board took the bait; while most shot it down.

That tread is like an all time success troll job on this board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 11:51 PM, Kent said:

It's worth noting that Larin got his pro start (and NCAA training) in the USA, David got his pro start in Belgium, Corbeanu in England. Davies is the only one who got his pro start in Canada... and he did it in an American league. Obviously Canada played a role in producing those players, but other countries took them over the finish line.

Allow me to quote myself because I think a lot of people took the above the wrong way. I wasn't trying to say Canada still can't develop players. I was responding to the thinking that guys like Akinola don't belong in the US national team. That also means at a minimum that Arfield, Wotherspoon, and Sturing, don't belong in the Canadian national team. The theory posed by others was that the national team should have players that were developed by that nation. If FIFA looked to put in a rule to enforce that, they might not define it exactly how we would like it. They might take a similar approach to how MLS defined domestic players (that aren't American) with a requirement that their first pro contract is with an MLS team or MLS affiliate (I might not have that exactly right, but there is or was a rule like that at some point). So if FIFA had the same mindset as the posters here that are hating on what Jamaica and Suriname are doing by bringing in unpure players, they might try to correct the situation in a way that makes Corbeanu, David, and Larin (and Borjan, St. Clair, Johnston, Miller, Vitoria, Guitierrez, Ferreira, Sturing, Laryea, Piette, Eustaquio, Arfield, Wotherspoon, Hoilett, Cavalini, and Millar) inelligible. All of those players got their first pro contract in another country, and had varying amounts of help by another country to get to the pro level.

The rules are what they are, let's just get over it. Some countries will have more players that have never lived in their country, some countries will have more players that gained citizenship after playing pro in their adopted country long enough, some countries will have more players that were born, raised, and turned pro in that country. It is all valid in the eyes of the rules and we make use of all the different pathways there are, so who are we to judge?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

To be fair that thread was started by An American poster who comes here sometimes to troll and many on this board took the bait; while most shot it down.

That tread is like an all time success troll job on this board.

A thread on our board started by an American supporter being used in a thread by Mexican supporters to primarily critique American supporters is the very definition of irony.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

A thread on our board started by an American supporter being used in a thread by Mexican supporters to primarily critique American supporters is the very definition of irony.

I don't think it's ironic. It might be a sign that they are better at staying on topic than we typically are on this forum (myself definitely included!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kent said:

I don't think it's ironic. It might be a sign that they are better at staying on topic than we typically are on this forum (myself definitely included!)

I was referring to the precise and correct use of the word irony ;} 

You might be right about your on topic point!

Edited by Redpunkfiddle
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 10:22 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Who says they’re overconfident? A team can’t be judged on their fans. Most of their loudest fans on Twitter are as you would expect juvenile and immature - we have our share as well. That isn’t an indictment on their true fans, let alone their national team. Their squad has come out and absolutely demolished CONCACAF competition in the past year - doesn’t look like they’re over confident. If they get to play teams away with no fans it’s going to benefit them even more, just like us. 

They had a right to believe they would qualify for the Olympics. Their team was good enough and they were knocked out in a one off. It really means nothing in terms of World Cup qualifying - just as it would mean nothing if they did qualify.

Honduras knocking the USA out was no fluke. No team pushed Mexico as far during this tournament as Honduras did. We might not like them, but give credit where credit is due.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So he isn’t in their top 10?  Geez 

With David’s injury we should call Akinola up in June (assuming he is healthy).   

Ayo strikes me as a player who's going to get better (his positioning is getting better, is strong, can finish) so yeah wouldn't mind seeing him in the fold. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Addona said:

Well he obviously isn't on there because he isn't in their player pool anymore ;) 

*Quickly shares the article everywhere and spams all of Ayo's social media with it just in case*

Link to post
Share on other sites

The USMNT's ultimate goal with Akinola is to keep him off our squad so we can't get better. With their depth I doubt they have plans to feature him or even call him up frequently. He should see that for himself or have others around him telling him that. With Canada he is likely to be called almost every time we play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Addona said:

So what's Canada's striker depth chart - I'd argue going past top 5 is pointless for international teams..

1. David 2. Larin 3. Cav .. 4. Ayo? 5. Bair?

It'd be controversial but I'd change formation before using Ayo or Bair.. like a 4-2-2-2 again with Davies and Millar/Corbeanu upfront. 

Edited by saintjoes
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

So what's Canada's striker depth chart - I'd argue going past top 5 is pointless for international teams..

1. David 2. Larin 3. Cav .. 4. Ayo? 5. Bair?

It'd be controversial but I'd change formation before using Ayo or Bair.. like a 4-2-2-2 again with Davies and Millar/Corbeanu upfront. 

Ooh I'll do it!

 

David

Larin

Cavallini

Akinola

Akindele

Ricketts

Bair

Pasher

Brym

Ongaro

Ennin / Yli-Hietanen / Whoever Else

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Ooh I'll do it!

 

David

Larin

Cavallini

Akinola

Akindele

Ricketts

Bair

Pasher

Brym

Ongaro

Ennin / Yli-Hietanen / Whoever Else

I think the issue for us is that after the first 3, the pickings get slim (granted the first 3 and especially the first 2 are pretty good). But that is why Akinola could fit in very well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta keep ages in mind as well. Cav is 28 meaning one of our top 3 spots will inevitably open up in a few years.  Not sure who else we have in the pipeline (Perruzza?) but Ayo would have a good chance of being in the mix for consistent call ups without a long wait - and that is ignoring the idea that he could outright displace Cav.  

Comparatively, the ages of the committed US players on that list are 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 24, 29, and 31.   That is a lot of depth for a long time.  
 

Hell, if I was Herdman, I would be making a short PowerPoint presentation and having a zoom with Ayo to offer him a call up for the Aruba game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...