Jump to content

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

What will we do if we fail to make it to the final 8? Nothing wrong in dreaming big even if realistically the odds are favoured against you in this case the US winning a Cup anytime soon. Hey Italy failed to make the last World Cup . That’s what makes sports fun to be part of you always dream big but yet you know that realistically it ain’t happening. Moreover, sometimes even the most realistic results can come crashing down see Italy and the US in the last World Cup. Yes realistically we should make the final 8 this time but there is a chance it’s not happening, just that thought is scary but that’s what sports is about sometimes a lot of lows and hardly any highs but it won’t stop us from supporting in the end.

Yeah I agree with this as well. I guess I kind of want to see them fail a bit because it’s not like the fans in question are humble with high hopes... they truly believe that there is no need to play the likes of us/Jamaica/CRC/Honduras and look at said competition as a waste of time against minnows. They think they should be held to the same regard as the Euro Giants.

none the less I see where you’re coming from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who's on their high horse??  If you choose to help anther nation, bring glory to their program, win trophies for them etc I think that does say something about how much or what kind of CDN you are.  I

Not to pile on, but I am defending the maple leaf on this one.  Larin played at Sigma until he was 18 (and played in Canada up until that time).  Playing 39 games in NCAA doesn’t diminish that. 

He probably also get nailed to the bench once Altidore returns too. I can't wait until TFC loses its American influence. I've had season tickets since season 1 and I'm tired of being Team America

Posted Images

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Yep completely agree... the amount of USMNT fans that truly believe they’re contenders to WIN the World Cup in 2022/2026 is crazy, they need a bit of a reality check and a failure to qualify would be hilarious to be a bystander on

This current crop of players is going to have a rude awakening when they experience what its like to compete in CONCACAF. It'll be a punch in the face.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Americans get pretty wound up and don't take losing well. I admire that a bit but if you consider how many good players they have that didn't play im not sure they should be all that pissed. I think they're full national team is looking pretty good

it is looking good, its a great crop of players. But its the misplaced arrogance that comes from it. Guarantee this crop of players will have the same struggles competing down in Central America as their predecessors, regardless where they play their club soccer at. I might not like a team like Honduras, but I will never overlook them, specially when playing them at home. USMNT supporters seem to genuinely believe they'll play everyone off the field on real world cup qualifying competitive games, and its quite laughable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

it is looking good, its a great crop of players. But its the misplaced arrogance that comes from it. Guarantee this crop of players will have the same struggles competing down in Central America as their predecessors, regardless where they play their club soccer at. I might not like a team like Honduras, but I will never overlook them, specially when playing them at home. USMNT supporters seem to genuinely believe they'll play everyone off the field on real world cup qualifying competitive games, and its quite laughable.

I think the lack of experience and over confidence will bite them a bit and they will slip up somewhat.  Whether that is enough to not qualify is probably unlikely but I certainly expect them to have a rough match or two and it will depend a lot on how they come through that. 

The same applies to us as our best are young as well but I am hoping they will be able to lean on Hutch, Hoilett, Osorio, Borjan, and hopefully Arfield to pull us through 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who says they’re overconfident? A team can’t be judged on their fans. Most of their loudest fans on Twitter are as you would expect juvenile and immature - we have our share as well. That isn’t an indictment on their true fans, let alone their national team. Their squad has come out and absolutely demolished CONCACAF competition in the past year - doesn’t look like they’re over confident. If they get to play teams away with no fans it’s going to benefit them even more, just like us. 

They had a right to believe they would qualify for the Olympics. Their team was good enough and they were knocked out in a one off. It really means nothing in terms of World Cup qualifying - just as it would mean nothing if they did qualify.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Early days but Ayo has to be prolific this season because Perruzza is going to be on his ass. Scored today in TFC's friendly against Columbus.

yes its early,but i rate Perruzza a tad higher,Ayo seems to be a bit injury prone,and his value is probs at it highest now, so i would sell him now plus tfc have some guys in the pipeline

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SoccMan said:

That’s the thing the national team should be like a measuring stick on the ability for a country to produce players. A country having a good enough environment for youth soccer players to develop and want to continue to keep playing and possibly perusing a pro career. Therefore, with the likes of Larin, David , Davies and a Corbeanu for example all players that are doing well I think it starting to show that here in Canada something seems to be changing for the better when it comes to our youth soccer set up where players of this caliber are coming out of , which to me is a great sign for the future .

It's worth noting that Larin got his pro start (and NCAA training) in the USA, David got his pro start in Belgium, Corbeanu in England. Davies is the only one who got his pro start in Canada... and he did it in an American league. Obviously Canada played a role in producing those players, but other countries took them over the finish line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kent said:

It's worth noting that Larin got his pro start (and NCAA training) in the USA, David got his pro start in Belgium, Corbeanu in England. Davies is the only one who got his pro start in Canada... and he did it in an American league. Obviously Canada played a role in producing those players, but other countries took them over the finish line.

It is also worth noting all of those guys played their youth soccer in Canada.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kent said:

It's worth noting that Larin got his pro start (and NCAA training) in the USA, David got his pro start in Belgium, Corbeanu in England. Davies is the only one who got his pro start in Canada... and he did it in an American league. Obviously Canada played a role in producing those players, but other countries took them over the finish line.

It is also worth noting that you are twisting facts saying because the Whitecaps are in an American league they aren't in Canada.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to pile on, but I am defending the maple leaf on this one. 

Larin played at Sigma until he was 18 (and played in Canada up until that time).  Playing 39 games in NCAA doesn’t diminish that. 

Davies came up through the Edmonton  youth system and then made the jump to pro in Vancouver. 

David played all of his youth soccer in Canada until moving to Gent at 18. 

Corbeanu had the most developmental time in another country and that was just the last couple of years. Before that he played youth soccer in Canada, including time in the TFC academy system.  

In every one of those cases, the Canadian youth and developmental system did the lion’s share of the work when it came to player development.  No doubt Bayern, Gent, Orlando and Wolves have added to the evolution of the player.  But all four of these examples, in my opinion, demonstrate the capacity of the Canadian system to develop and nurture talent (through multiple pathways).   

Edited by dyslexic nam
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, reggietfc said:

yes its early,but i rate Perruzza a tad higher,Ayo seems to be a bit injury prone,and his value is probs at it highest now, so i would sell him now plus tfc have some guys in the pipeline

Hugo Mbongue, Priso’s younger brother is apparently a good striker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kent said:

It's worth noting that Larin got his pro start (and NCAA training) in the USA, David got his pro start in Belgium, Corbeanu in England. Davies is the only one who got his pro start in Canada... and he did it in an American league. Obviously Canada played a role in producing those players, but other countries took them over the finish line.

Yea but they almost all left Canada at 18.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Certainly hope they fail to qualify again... It would be hilarious, and  genuinely curious to see if they'd scapegoat/crucify their new shiny players then. BuT ThEy PlAy iN EuRoPe!!

It would be funny but I'd like to see them there, hopefully they meet us in the knockout round. That would be good fun. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Yea but they almost all left Canada at 18.

Well thats a condemnation of Canada as a whole.  We dont have enough clubs, or enough clubs that prioritize local players to keep the talent growing here.  Thats not a bad thing in itself, I hope we always have players that grow beyond and play world class top 5 type leagues.  Brain drain across the board isnt something new to Canada in general. BUT...with CPL we are bringing prosoccer to smaller centers, growing interest and providing opportunities for the 17-18 years olds that we know Canada is producing. The kids that need pro experience to get over the next hump.  And before the usual people go its all about winning, i'm from the big city i only support winners and i dont want to play CDN and lose blah blah, if our league has a level playing field (unlike MLS) and they all play the same % of CDN that isnt a problem.  I think the CPL has proved that there is an untapped market for pro soccer in many ignored parts of the country.  It still has to be economically viable at some level..whether that is 1million dollar payrolls, or 3mil etc time will tell.  

As for Ayo, has anyone seen him in training pics? Will he be anywhere near ready for opening day?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Yea but they almost all left Canada at 18.

It goes to show you that you can stay here in Canada until a late age and still make it at a good level in Europe. The legendary Atiba Hutchinson was still in Canada playing at the age of 19 , actually played a couple of games for the York Region Shooters of the CSL which was like League 1 Ontario back then , in the summer of 2004 I think , and then that same summer went on to play a few games with the Toronto Lynx before leaving for Europe that fall and never looking back. In the end it’s really about your desire and commitment and yes talent you need all these ingredients and maybe a few more a little bit of luck too. You can go to Europe at 8 years old and sign for any of the big club’s academies but in the end if you are missing any of these ingredients it don’t matter what age you left Canada you still ain’t making it. 

Edited by SoccMan
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It goes to show you that you can stay here in Canada until a late age and still make it at a good level in Europe. The legendary Atiba Hutchinson was still in Canada playing at the age of 19 , actually played a couple of games for the York Region Shooters of the CSL which was like League 1 Ontario back then , in the summer of 2004 I think , and then that same summer went on to play a few games with the Toronto Lynx before leaving for Europe that fall and never looking back. In the end it’s really about your desire and commitment and yes talent you need all these ingredients and maybe a few more a little bit of luck too. You can go to Europe at 8 years old and sign for any of the big club’s academies but in the end if you are missing any of these ingredients it don’t matter what age you left Canada you still ain’t making it. 

Yea I meant they left at 18 as in they really were trained here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well thats a condemnation of Canada as a whole.  We dont have enough clubs, or enough clubs that prioritize local players to keep the talent growing here.  Thats not a bad thing in itself, I hope we always have players that grow beyond and play world class top 5 type leagues.  Brain drain across the board isnt something new to Canada in general. BUT...with CPL we are bringing prosoccer to smaller centers, growing interest and providing opportunities for the 17-18 years olds that we know Canada is producing. The kids that need pro experience to get over the next hump.  And before the usual people go its all about winning, i'm from the big city i only support winners and i dont want to play CDN and lose blah blah, if our league has a level playing field (unlike MLS) and they all play the same % of CDN that isnt a problem.  I think the CPL has proved that there is an untapped market for pro soccer in many ignored parts of the country.  It still has to be economically viable at some level..whether that is 1million dollar payrolls, or 3mil etc time will tell.  

As for Ayo, has anyone seen him in training pics? Will he be anywhere near ready for opening day?

 

Kids every where leave at x age, not sure id condem the Dutch system because Xavi Simmons went to PSG at like 16.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Yea but they almost all left Canada at 18.

Bayern Munich's head of player development or academies has said if he wants a player from North America, he wants them to come over at 16 (if eligible) or soon as he is 18. 

Reason is North America has shown it can develop a player's technical and athletic skills that is near Europe's system. But the play in the MLS is too slow in terms of player and ball movement, which is needed for the next development stage.

Some Americans have cited this as a reason why the US has struggled at the u23 level while doing more than okay at the u17 and u20 levels. Young American prospects who stay in the MLS into their 20s tend to hit a ceiling and then stagnate.

Edited by red card
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Kids every where leave at x age, not sure id condem the Dutch system because Xavi Simmons went to PSG at like 16.

Your missing the point entirely.  Dutch have enough good clubs (real soccer pyramid) that he could have stayed.  Whether everyone does or not is up to them.  The best can always go somewhere else, our kids are forced to go elsewhere because we dont have enough chances with CDN pro clubs, or at least we didnt have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Who says they’re overconfident? A team can’t be judged on their fans. Most of their loudest fans on Twitter are as you would expect juvenile and immature - we have our share as well. That isn’t an indictment on their true fans, let alone their national team. Their squad has come out and absolutely demolished CONCACAF competition in the past year - doesn’t look like they’re over confident. If they get to play teams away with no fans it’s going to benefit them even more, just like us. 

They had a right to believe they would qualify for the Olympics. Their team was good enough and they were knocked out in a one off. It really means nothing in terms of World Cup qualifying - just as it would mean nothing if they did qualify.

Canadian supporters are more neurotic than overconfident while American supporters overconfidence is a top 3 trait. They even have developed a genre of extrapolating success in a small sample size to infinity. Americans do dominate a lot of team sports, so they assumed, same thing would happen in men's soccer.

There are threads on Mexican forums highlighting the dumbest posts of Americans - this forum made it for the first time with the "When will Canada overtake Mexico" thread.

Credit has to go their sports media who are experts at hyperbole. There was an article this week on espn fc which already assumed the US was headed to Qatar - so only question remaining for them was who is on the roster besides Pulisic.

The jury is out on the current group of senior team players but the team that missed out on WC 18 was slagged by many for being over confident or even arrogant. The failure of the Olympic team was deemed by some due to arrogance by US Soccer management.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red card said:

 

There are threads on Mexican forums highlighting the dumbest posts of Americans - this forum made it for the first time with the "When will Canada overtake Mexico" thread.

 

 

I am pleased it wasn't just me that thought that was not really all that brilliant, it was either stupidity or trolling, I think it's the latter!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...