Ayo Akinola

masster

I think he'll end up committing to Canada - i'm not worried (just don't want to talk about to avoid heartbreak, but here we are)
He has to know the competition is crazzy just within the U24's for the US. In the number 9 position they have Sargeant, Soto, Gioacchini, Dike, Ebobisse, Michel and Ferreira who all have senior caps. Then there's the guys who are older in Zardes, Mueller, Altidore, and Siebatcheu...there's gotta be a few names I missed. But those guys are all number 9's first.
So if he does commit to the USA, I got two words for him: Teal Bunbury.  

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think he'll end up committing to Canada - i'm not worried (just don't want to talk about to avoid heartbreak, but here we are)
He has to know the competition is crazzy just within the U24's for the US. In the number 9 position they have Sargeant, Soto, Gioacchini, Dike, Ebobisse, Michel and Ferreira who all have senior caps. Then there's the guys who are older in Zardes, Mueller, Altidore, and Siebatcheu...there's gotta be a few names I missed. But those guys are all number 9's first.
So if he does commit to the USA, I got two words for him: Teal Bunbury.  

The thing is that he has a chance to be better than any of those guys. None of those players is a blue chip can't miss prospect ala Pulisic or Davies. None of those guys is better than David. An argument could be made that he has a better shot at starting for the USA - the argument for Canada is that he'll be an automatic call up always.

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The thing is that he has a chance to be better than any of those guys. None of those players is a blue chip can't miss prospect ala Pulisic or Davies. None of those guys is better than David. An argument could be made that he has a better shot at starting for the USA - the argument for Canada is that he'll be an automatic call up always.

They’re chasing blue chip duals though and will likely nab one of them. 

For the people that are certain we will know by March, Junior Hoilett put off a decision for years by refusing call ups. Plus he could accept a USA call up in March and still switch to us, since USA doesn’t have Qualifiers in March. So as long as he doesn’t get up to 4 caps for the USA or switch to us, we still won’t have it all sealed up.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:30 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

I disagree. With Canada he could be in the top 5 for the number 9 position vs the US is a never ending crapshoot with guys coming out the wood works where he would be in the top 10. He could change his position if he leaves TFC, but if he doesnt he’ll be lumped in with the rest of the MLS strikers who could catch form. 
Another name I didn’t mention is 19 yo Matthew Hoppe at Shalke. 

31 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Did he say something new?  Can’t find it anywhere.

It's on yesterday's one soccer today show. They get asked which Canadian they would like to see move to Europe and he picked Ayo and mentioned something like "the fact that it looks like he is going to be a Canadian international now as well, hint hint, nudge nudge."

Yes I feel dirty even mentioning wheels, let alone quoting him. And calling him wheels on top of that.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

It's on yesterday's one soccer today show. They get asked which Canadian they would like to see move to Europe and he picked Ayo and mentioned something like "the fact that it looks like he is going to be a Canadian international now as well, hint hint, nudge nudge."

Yes I feel dirty even mentioning wheels, let alone quoting him. And calling him wheels on top of that.

Wait I’m confused. In your previous post you mentioned he made it seem like he was gonna play for the US, but based on that quote you made it seem like he was hinting at choosing Canada. Or maybe I could just stop being lazy and listen for myself 😂

3 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Wait I’m confused. In your previous post you mentioned he made it seem like he was gonna play for the US, but based on that quote you made it seem like he was hinting at choosing Canada. Or maybe I could just stop being lazy and listen for myself 😂

Ha. No, option C) he is heavily hinting he is choosing Canada. Which means (given his past intel) he is more than likely actually  choosing the states 😛

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Looks like it's only available on the actual show on onesoccer. Wasn't included in the twitter or youtube snippets they released. Comment is around the 18.40 mark. 

I just don’t understand how he can be so confident after he didn’t come to camp.  Not saying the injury is not legit but he will most likely have to take a leap of faith and do his one time switch without ever attending a camp after spending many years with another program that also still wants him.

5 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I just don’t understand how he can be so confident after he didn’t come to camp.  Not saying the injury is not legit but he will most likely have to take a leap of faith and do his one time switch without ever attending a camp after spending many years with another program that also still wants him.

Did they get Hoppe or a big name dual ?

I've said it before, but I think it is pretty clear that Wheeler is getting info from someone involved with the MNT program, possibly from Herdman himself. I think they selectively release info to Wheeler/OneSoccer, so when Wheeler says something like this I think it is more than just mere speculation/gut feeling.

Now, obviously we saw with Yankov that this intel isn't infallible, but I don't think it was a case of Wheeler speculating something and relaying it as fact and being wrong. I think that was a case of the MNT thought Yankov was committed and he decided to then go with Bulgaria. Either they misinterpreted what he said, or he played us, but that's my guess as to what happened.