masster

Ayo Akinola

6 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

I think Nigeria would be a distant third choice for Akinola right now, so I don't really worry too much about it. Two words: World Cup. Canada and the U.S. are hosting 2026, so he's guaranteed to be in one when he's entering his prime. Even with expansion to 48 teams, Nigeria getting there isn't a certainty. If 2026 was somewhere else, I would have been more iffy on this.

If he does choose the U.S., I would be disappointed but I wouldn't be angry. He was born there, grew up here but played for their youth setup, and now plays and lives in Canada for a team in an American league. Even allowing for other factors, that would make his choice harder.  It's a little different from others, who forgot where they grew up as soon as they went overseas.

Nigeria has only missed one of the last 6 World Cups (in 2006). I doubt that fear of Nigeria missing the World Cup will be a factor.

Also, there is no guarantee Canada will be in the 2026 World Cup, and there is certainly no guarantee that Akinola will be able to play in that World Cup with Canada if he commits to Canada. Injury, dip in form, other better players coming up, and I guess now I should also mention global pandemics as possible reasons he isn’t guaranteed to play.

Other prospects in the past have come and gone with a whimper. We don’t know that Akinola won’t do the same.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Nigeria has only missed one of the last 6 World Cups (in 2006). I doubt that fear of Nigeria missing the World Cup will be a factor.

Also, there is no guarantee Canada will be in the 2026 World Cup, and there is certainly no guarantee that Akinola will be able to play in that World Cup with Canada if he commits to Canada. Injury, dip in form, other better players coming up, and I guess now I should also mention global pandemics as possible reasons he isn’t guaranteed to play.

Other prospects in the past have come and gone with a whimper. We don’t know that Akinola won’t do the same.

I'm pretty certain Canada will be in the World Cup. There are three hosts, but with 48 teams, I don't believe FIFA will change the format to make all three host countries qualify for their own tournament. Of course, it is FIFA, but on this point I don't think they would.

With regards to Nigeria, I do follow African soccer, and I believe that the top African teams are much closer in overall comparative talent to each other and to their "second tier" nations than the top European teams are to each other. Nigeria also has had a couple hiccups qualifying for the African Cup of Nations lately (two in the last five), so again, there's no guarantee.

You are right, we don't know if Akinola will continue progressing or take a step back and disappear. But he is an exciting prospect in an exciting time for Canadian soccer, and if he does progress as a player and does choose Canada, I will be happy.

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Who's on their high horse??  If you choose to help anther nation, bring glory to their program, win trophies for them etc I think that does say something about how much or what kind of CDN you are.  Is he entitled to do it?? Sure, it could mean a better life for him, more money opportunity etc sure, and everyone can do it if they want.  But dont pretend it makes him the same as a guy who reps canada, chooses to try and make the canadian team better, tries to win for canada, supports our program and by doing so gives back to the game in his country.   

I'm not the one trying to diminish or quantify how much of a Canadian someone is because they choose to play a game with someone else. A game. It's literately a ridiculous a reason as you can have to treat and view someone as a second class citizen.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Maybe you didn't read my first sentence.As far as I'm concerned he could could choose whatever country he wants, like I said If I have to convince you I don't want you. If he does CHOOSE the USA and he scores a goal that eliminates us from some World Cup qualification, come back and let me know how you feel.

I'd hold a sporting grudge, but that's it. I wouldn't view him as less a Canadian as anyone else due to, what is in the scheme of life, a meaningless act. And yes, I feel the same way about H4rgr3av3s.

Edited by LeoH037

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I'm not the one trying to diminish or quantify how much of a Canadian someone is because they choose to play a game with someone else. A game. It's literately a ridiculous a reason as you can have to treat and view someone as a second class citizen.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I'd hold a sporting grudge, but that's it. I wouldn't view him as less a Canadian as anyone else due to, what is in the scheme of life, a meaningless act. And yes, I feel the same way about H4rgr3av3s.

@Bison44

This thread will continue on this path as long as he's eligible for Canada. 

It looks like Akinola is firmly entrenched in the U.S. set-up, but it isn't exactly unprecedented for players to switch in favour of Canada. We've seen Vitoria, Arfield and Eustaquio do it so far.

The US system plays way more games, has more opportunities, more camps and more money to do these things. To me it would be a no brainer professionally and to personally develop your game to play for them.

He has said he is was in no rush to choose who to represent in his senior career and why should he be really. He's in a great position playing for the US youth system 

2 hours ago, JuicyHam said:

The US system plays way more games, has more opportunities, more camps and more money to do these things. To me it would be a no brainer professionally and to personally develop your game to play for them.

This is the nuance that's lost here when it's said that TFC "pushed" him to the U.S. system. As his club, TFC would see far more value in Akinola being part of a much more active U.S. youth program that actually plays a lot and qualifies for things.

I'm not entirely convinced TFC actually cares where Akinola plays internationally, but it's tough to argue that he's not a better player for having been a big part of the American youth set-up. 

That's what'll make it even more sweet when he files his switch to play for Canada. 😉

During the Caps-Sounders broadcast they referred to him in terms of the US pool, proudly, in between the words "Jordan" and "Morris" I was pretty sure I heard his name a time or two. 

I would not be even thinking about him, let's move ahead with what we have.

On 7/18/2020 at 4:21 PM, LeoH037 said:

. If he decides to represent the USA (his reasons being his own), it doesn't stop making him any less Canadian. That's not YOUR or anyone else's call to make.

......and a dirty cop doesn't stop making him less of a cop or a cheating husband does't make him less of a husband. Keep telling yourself that until you convince yourself. That's all I'm going to talk about this subject, I think I made my point. Regards.

Apparently Herdman mentioned Akinola will probably end up choosing whichever team makes the Olympics. Which you would think favours the US, at least in the likeliness in making it.

Ayo Akinloa probably has more youth caps played than our entire Canadian pool does.  In terms of development, playing for the US wasn't a bad choice.

36 goals in those 42 games as well.

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Ayo Akinloa probably has more youth caps played than our entire Canadian pool does.  In terms of development, playing for the US wasn't a bad choice.

36 goals in those 42 games as well.

One thing I can't fault about some of our dual nationals who have played youth footy for other countries is that Canada doesn't play any damn youth games outside of tournaments. It's hilarious sometimes that Canada wants prospects to commit to the program when the program doesn't seem to exist outside of CONCACAF youth tournaments.

Posted (edited)

Missed a few good chances today.  With Jozy back healthy, probably will see minutes reduced but to be fair both him and Jozy have linked up well together since Jozy came on.

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

......and a dirty cop doesn't stop making him less of a cop or a cheating husband does't make him less of a husband. Keep telling yourself that until you convince yourself. That's all I'm going to talk about this subject, I think I made my point. Regards.

Your parallels between Akinola and a dirty cop Isn’t the point you want to be making here.

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Context dude....context.

I agree, context. With everything currently going on in the world, there’s no reason to think that drawing a parallel between a soccer player’s choice of team and a being dirty cop is quite the mic drop moment @MtlMario was going for.

Herdman said in an interview taped July 2nd but shown before this morning's TFC match something along the lines that he thinks Akinola's heart is starting to turn towards Canada. Kristian Jack then said in the studio that Akinola's agent told the Canadian U20 team that Akinola was available for them but that he wasn't called, although this seemed to contradict what Herdman said about Akinola having been invited to previous U20 and MNT camps but declining for now. KJ also said Berhalter had been in touch with Akinola since the tournament began, which is hardly a surprise since Berhalter shouting "Nice goal Ayo!" from three feet behind the goal could count as being in touch.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

He's still finding space well and making dangerous runs.

Unfortunately, his shooting and control reminded me of the Akinola I'm used to seeing.

To be fair, TFC started at 9 am one day, 8 PM three days later, and 9 am again 3 days after that.  Playing 3 games in seven days is hard enough, without the start times. I've worked jobs like that (8 AM start one day, 3 PM the next, etc).  Within a week you're working through fatigue, even if you're awake. He might be a little tired. It did look like all of the starters were fading after halftime.

Edited by Trois Reds

2 hours ago, RS said:

I agree, context. With everything currently going on in the world, there’s no reason to think that drawing a parallel between a soccer player’s choice of team and a being dirty cop is quite the mic drop moment @MtlMario was going for.

He also mentioned cheating husbands, yet you seem to be the one drawing parallels to the political / social issues in policing and then projecting that onto MtlMario. Tisk tisk.