Ayo Akinola

masster

46 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

That is where you and I differ then.  I've moved on.  Much prefer to talk about Perruzza and Bair.

Mentioning Akinola in the same breath as Tabla and Millar as was done above, is sacrilege.

Akinola is 19, so I think it is absolutely premature to write him off.  Looking to the future?  Absolutely.  Me too.  But we are not so high and mighty that a 19 year old kid getting minutes in MLS (and a recent goal) can be written off because he isn't yet a world beater - especially when he is playing for TFC and thus has an ongoing connection to this country. 

People bitched about Hoillet when he was on the fence, but now I am not aware of anyone who isn't happy he made the choice.

People bitched about Tabla when he was on the fence, but now I am not aware of anyone who isn't happy he made the choice.

People longed for Eustaquio when he was on the fence, but now I am not aware of anyone who isn't happy he made the choice.

...and I am not saying Akinola is on par with any of those guys - just that it seems silly to dismiss him because he is on the fence - or even leaning across the border.  We have had lots of guys like that, and the ones who have chosen us tend to gain our support really quickly. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Akinola is 19, so I think it is absolutely premature to write him off.  Looking to the future?  Absolutely.  Me too.  But we are not so high and mighty that a 19 year old kid getting minutes in MLS (and a recent goal) can be written off because he isn't yet a world beater - especially when he is playing for TFC and thus has an ongoing connection to this country. 

People bitched about Hoillet when he was on the fence, but now I am not aware of anyone who isn't happy he made the choice.

People bitched about Tabla when he was on the fence, but now I am not aware of anyone who isn't happy he made the choice.

People longed for Eustaquio when he was on the fence, but now I am not aware of anyone who isn't happy he made the choice.

...and I am not saying Akinola is on par with any of those guys - just that it seems silly to dismiss him because he is on the fence - or even leaning across the border.  We have had lots of guys like that, and the ones who have chosen us tend to gain our support really quickly. 

Yeah, but I'm an old grump.

He's not on the fence. He has planted both of his his feet on the other side of the border. So it is wishful dreaming that he'll now jump back over the fence.

He's played for them in u20 qualifying, will be in camp for a couple of u20 friendlies this week and most importantly put his hand over his heart during their anthem.

Junior had the decency to hold off playing for anybody.

Edited by red card

18 minutes ago, red card said:

He's not on the fence. He has planted both of his his feet on the other side of the border. So it is wishful dreaming that he'll now jump back over the fence.

He's played for them in u20 qualifying, will be in camp for a couple of u20 friendlies this week and most importantly put his hand over his heart during their anthem.

Hard to play for our youth teams when they don't have camps or games...yes I know, our senior team is not much better in that department either but we have 2026!

49 minutes ago, red card said:

Junior "held off" because he didn't get the call (that he was waiting for).

And given our lack of youth activity, it isn't hard to see why he would play in the US setup when invited.

I am reserving judgement until I see something really concrete. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Junior "held off" because he didn't get the call (that he was waiting for).

And given our lack of youth activity, it isn't hard to see why he would play in the US setup when invited.

I am reserving judgement until I see something really concrete. 

We don’t agree on a lot of things but this time I agree totally.  Moreover, the fact he is living at home most likely still with his mom in Brampton I would assume and playing for a Canadian team is a reason why I think there is a good chance he eventually chooses Canada. Moreover, apart from a year or so he spent in residency in Florida with the US U17 team , the kid has spent all his life he in Canada learned how to play the game here in Canada . I still think in the end he will choose Canada regardless how many times he has played with the US national youth teams.

For me he doesn't register on my radar. For U-20 he is with USA, and he's not yet good enough for our men's team, so it doesn't really matter at this point. If he one day is good enough for our men's team (through improvement or sufficient injuries to our player pool) then maybe I'll start worrying about him.

3 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

The US U23 roster just announced for a camp and friendlies against Egypt and the Netherlands.   Here are the forwards named to the team.

F Ebobisse, Jeremy Portland Timbers
F Perez, Josh LAFC
F Sabbi, Emmanuel Hobro IK
F Sargent, Josh Werder Bremen
F Weah, Tim Celtic FC
F Haji Wright Schalke

6 ahead of him just for the u23s? He will be disappointed not to he part of the squad surely. Tough crowd. 

If there's one thing I know about youth NT teams, is that 75% of the team usually disappears. 

Projecting where/how things will look or be is impossible. 

Akinola might be 10 goal scorer in MLS, he could end up in the USL. There could be a 15 yo right now that could surpass him in 3 yrs. 

The game is really unpredictable sometimes. 

On 3/19/2019 at 9:10 PM, red card said:

Tabla and Eustaquio had their feet planted on one side, then still decided to jump over. Surely if he can join the GC team (don't know if he's better than the options we have TBH), he'll take that shot over waiting a few years to see if he can get a chance with the USMNT. 

Edited by shamrock

On 3/19/2019 at 10:10 PM, red card said:

...and most importantly put his hand over his heart during their anthem....

Which he is perfectly entitled to do as an American citizen, so what's your point? Canada has no issue with dual nationality so he is still every bit as entitled to play for Canada, because he hasn't made a definitive decision on this yet. Hopefully, the example of what happened with Teal Bunbury points him and others towards the CMNT. Unfortunately, a lot of young dual national players will probably think they are destined to be next Landon Donovan where the USMNT is concerned and will see it as the easier path to regular World Cup appearances.

This also goes back to who found him first. His coach in Brampton said he made Canada aware of him and they were like lol ok and then he made the USSF aware to and they asked to go see and scout him. Canada has a pretty notorious history of underscouting a lot of our youngsters.

54 minutes ago, Yohan said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/29/rec-league-big-leagues-rise-torontos-ayo-akinola

Take it for what you will, but it looks like Ayo isn't ruling out Canada, though not while he's still on US radar

Also from article, another example of a local youth club coach betraying Canada:

“My club coach at Brampton made contacts with a guy down in Florida. He told one of the national team scouts to come to New York, watch a kid play named 'Ayo'. We beat Red Bulls, 5-0, I scored two goals,” Akinola said. “After the game, I saw two national team scouts, wearing gear, standing at the field. I didn't really pay attention to it. A couple weeks later, in March [2014], I got my call-up.”

Radar??  Has he not been in almost every american youth camp available to him over the years?  Did he ever say no to the US and come to a CDN camp??  Lets be realistic.  Lets not say he is on the fence.  He might not make the transition from very good teenage prospect to a guy who gets senior caps for the US but thats what he is shooting for.  I hate to see you guys get your hearts broken...

Impossible to project the career of  young players. He may end up  a star player, but right now he is behind Cav, David, Larin and possibly Millar at striker. On the wings Hoilett, Davies and Tabla are  ahead  and Akindele and Edwards given their experience may also nudge him out. I don't blame him for playing for the US youth teams as ours are dormant but it ticks me off given that he has lived his entire life in Canada (other than his 1st year), played his soccer here and was signed by a CDN MLS team. I just don't understand how he could feel American but perhaps they gave him the chance to play for their youth teams..so be it. Canada is going to be a force going forward and players need to get on board or get the f out of the way. No more begging. I can't wait  for the USA game...

Edited by Kadenge

Pretty sure he "feels" American because that is what he thinks will get him on the US team.  I still maintain that we shouldnt actively slam the door on him, but I am sure as hell not sitting here pining for him.  But with his current actions, it is pretty clear he is only keen on Canada as a fallback.  And if it comes to that because he can't make the US squad, I doubt he will be so clearly above our existing/future options that a call up to our Nats would be justified.