Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’ve always thought Pasher was underrated. Great to see him proving himself in MLS.

Given the consensus preference for having Alphonso Davies play further up the field and the relative lack of depth at LB, is there any reason Pasher could not start at LB for Canada? He’s played there before.

He’s technically better than Adekugbe and he seems to have more pace.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MAK was sold for 35k as a comparison.

Goal to beat Pittsburgh in the 96th minute.  I'm fairly sure this is his 6th game in a row scoring.  What a strike, but the moves leading up were pretty too and I saw a lot of that from him earlier in

24 minutes ago, WyattTaylor said:

I’ve always thought Pasher was underrated. Great to see him proving himself in MLS.

Given the consensus preference for having Alphonso Davies play further up the field and the relative lack of depth at LB, is there any reason Pasher could not start at LB for Canada? He’s played there before.

He’s technically better than Adekugbe and he seems to have more pace.

 

I think most want Davies as a wingback like how we played vs Bermuda. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, WyattTaylor said:

I’ve always thought Pasher was underrated. Great to see him proving himself in MLS.

Given the consensus preference for having Alphonso Davies play further up the field and the relative lack of depth at LB, is there any reason Pasher could not start at LB for Canada? He’s played there before.

He’s technically better than Adekugbe and he seems to have more pace.

 

Why is everyone so desperate to get rid of Adekugbe? He's been great for us, and he times his runs better than any of our other fullbacks imo. Pasher looks great so far, but he's a winger now, and he's definitely not better technically than Adekugbe. 

Plus, we have Guti and Miller who do have MLS experience as lb's. We have a lot of promise on the wing, but not enough quality yet to play someone like Pasher out of position. As things stand, Pasher, Millar and Buchanan aren't very far apart, even if the latter 2 have higher ceilings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think you're incorrect with "most". 

Also, considering Adekugbe was behind him against Bermuda not sure how he would be considered a wingback. 

Was Adekugbe tucking in to provide a 3-man backline, or did I dream that up?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think you dreamt it up as Adekugbe, Miller, Vitoria and Laryea were all playing.  Pretty sure it was a back four.

I don’t remember if it was a back 4 or 3 but it could have been a 3 with that personnel. Davies at LWB, Adekugbe at LCB, Miller at CB, Vitoria at RCB, Laryea at RWB. I doubt that’s what we played but it’s definitely plausible. Sometimes it’s more complicated than that anyways, since it could be 5 while defending that turns into a 4 while attacking or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Was Adekugbe tucking in to provide a 3-man backline, or did I dream that up?

I don't recall that happening with any regularity. SofaScore has a heatmap for the match (Canada live score, schedule and results - Football - SofaScore) that backs up that he played as a traditional full back. 

It was basically a 442 with Larin playing a bit deeper than Cavallini.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Why is everyone so desperate to get rid of Adekugbe? He's been great for us, and he times his runs better than any of our other fullbacks imo. Pasher looks great so far, but he's a winger now, and he's definitely not better technically than Adekugbe. 

Plus, we have Guti and Miller who do have MLS experience as lb's. We have a lot of promise on the wing, but not enough quality yet to play someone like Pasher out of position. As things stand, Pasher, Millar and Buchanan aren't very far apart, even if the latter 2 have higher ceilings.

I watched a fair bit of Pasher when he was at Indy Eleven as a good friend of mine was on the roster. I think you’re underestimating his technical ability. He scored 22 goals in 57 appearances as a winger. And he’s very quick. 

I’m sure he’ll continue to excel in MLS and work his way into the CMNT fold. Adekugbe is fine, but Pasher has a higher ceiling (despite being 26 y.o. and 8 months older).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I don't recall that happening with any regularity. SofaScore has a heatmap for the match (Canada live score, schedule and results - Football - SofaScore) that backs up that he played as a traditional full back. 

It was basically a 442 with Larin playing a bit deeper than Cavallini.

Who is the internet wizard that got Marcelo Flores to appear as part of the squad in that link? Brilliant stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Diego said:

I don't recall that happening with any regularity. SofaScore has a heatmap for the match (Canada live score, schedule and results - Football - SofaScore) that backs up that he played as a traditional full back. 

It was basically a 442 with Larin playing a bit deeper than Cavallini.

A back 3 in attack and and back 4 in shape.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all due respect, I think those guys are overcomplicating things a bit. Davies played much more as a pure midfielder/attacker against Bermuda, and Adekugbe did not slot in beside the centre backs as a structure. In no sense of the term did Davies play as a "wing back" versus Bermuda. If you compare average positions from the Bermuda match to how Chelsea play under Tuchel, they don't overlap.

It is fair to say that Laryea played higher than Adekugbe, but that's not to say that Adekugbe played as a centre back, and certainly not in the way Azpilicueta does when he plays beside a dedicated central defender. Platt's general point that Adekugbe was more conservative than Laryea is true, but him calling Sam a hybrid full back/centre back is just incorrect imo. Whether this is a meaningful debate is another question.

When Canada did show a back three shape in possession, it was as Galindo showed against the Cayman Islands: with Piette splitting the centre backs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think their point was that for the majority of the game it was very lobsided with Adekugbe playing more conservative, basically playing in line with the centre backs (not really tucked in) giving Davies the freedom to go create/do whatever tf he wanted. He did venture forward at times though.

In that way you can see it as a 3 person backline, but technically it wasn't the 3-5-2 system. Their foundation was still a 4-4-2.

Edited by PopePouri
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bison44 said:

That might be a little harsh, hard to say which kid gets through the choke point up to the big club.  It sure makes me think about all those kids that get a cup of coffee with CDN MLS, then toil away in L10 or USL for a year or so and pack it in. Hopefully we see a couple guys every year turn things around in the CPL/USL and more and more "mature" guys like Pasher can find their footing.     

Its hard to say if its harsh or not. There were few opportunities in the past. A lot of players seemed to hang up their boots shortly after finishing with the academy. Hopefully CPL allows them to hold on a little longer and we see some more late bloomers like Kaye and Pasher.

 

18 hours ago, VinceA said:

I remember there was a ton of hype for Lao but I think he kept getting injured?

Yeah I was excited about Lao as well. Had hoped to see him in CPL. I don't know his circumstances now, but it seems unlikely unfortunately. Maheu was another older one that I had been excited about. CPL will be great for keeping these guys around. Especially once we get through this pandemic and there is more normalcy to the seasons

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PopePouri said:

I think their point was that for the majority of the game it was very lobsided with Adekugbe playing more conservative, basically playing in line with the centre backs (not really tucked in) giving Davies the freedom to go create/do whatever tf he wanted. He did venture forward at times though.

In that way you can see it as a 3 person backline, but technically it wasn't the 3-5-2 system. Their foundation was still a 4-4-2.

I think this is accurate. I think comparisons to Chelsea or other teams that play with a back 3 in and out of possession aren't useful. Herdman has played a lopsided 442 for a little while now after starting with a 433. We only have to look back to the win against the USA to see how we line up defensively. In that match we had Kamal Miller at left back, a guy who is naturally a centre back. He played much more conservatively than Laryea, but he was still definitely a left back.

IMO those tweets about Canada's hybrid shapes are essentially red herrings. Many people say formations are overrated, and I simultaneously agree and disagree with that statement. Formations in a vacuum are certainly overrated, but how the two teams line up geographically is often a significant part of the story of a match. Doing some analysis about how Canada's shape oscillates between a back four and back three against the Cayman Islands, however, is not helpful or predictive -- especially if one tries to argue that was consistent with how Canada played versus Bermuda.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the Pasher thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so great to see things come off for him this season. I know MLS isn’t the pinnacle of the sport but still great to see him excel at this level after playing at various levels and clubs. I used to watch a lot of TFC academy matches in the CSL and even as a leftback he was the player that stood out and you wanted to watch all match.
 

Over the years I lived in Toronto, there were other academy kids I use to rate highly. Some did eventually go one to good careers (Kaye) and others who faded away (Omari Morris and Eli Roubus). Makes you wonder how much is skill, luck or application when it comes to a footballers career. I would imagine for most, it is a combination of all three. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RS said:

Hip injury.

Ok thanks.

Interview with him here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tyler-pasher-gone-wild/id1502311153?i=1000520323783

Skip to 20min 50 secs for #CanMNT stuff.

At the time of the recording (in the last week or so) Pasher mentions that Herdman has not been in touch with him. However, in the OneSoccer interview from a few days ago Herdman mentions Pasher unprompted, so he's clearly being looked at.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...