Women's World Cup - Edmonton Games - Visitor Info

So here we are, less than 45 days away from the big show. A number of the Edmonton area Voyageurs have been working with the Edmonton Supporters Group (most of the membership overlaps between the two groups) on a whole variety of activities leading up to and during the time that the CWNT is here. These include  a mini soccer tournament, tailgate party (family version), tailgate party (adult version), Canada fan home base, Chinatown night market, Whyte Avenue night life and a soccer film festival. All this in addition to the pre game party, stadium march and post game party.

We are also working on a system of meet and greet airport ambassadors that can arrange to pick up out of town visiting Voyageurs as they arrive, get them into town to where they are staying and provide general assistance with orientation and local information. In order to have this properly planned with the right number of people at the right time, I would like to request that anyone planning on visiting for the games reply here or via a PM with their arrival time, airplane or otherwise, and the number of people in their party so we can roll out the welcome wagon for them.

Also, any other questions you might have specific to these games can be shared here as well.

Allez les Rouges!!   

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Mike. This sounds incredible.

I will be in Edmonton likely the Thursday prior to the first game and leaving the Friday after the 2nd game (or later). In between games I'll be working and likely camping to keep costs down. I'd love to help. You have my number so let me know what I can do. I'll have evenings free.

I have 30+ ppl coming to the opener and only a couple for the 2nd game. I will steer them toward whatever you have planned.

Wow.  That is really nice.  My trip to Edmonton will be a bit of a whirlwind.  I fly in on June 6th at 7:15 am which is pretty early.  I was planning to take transit downtown -- I wouldn't want someone to have to get up early on a Saturday morning just for me.  But if there happen to be others flying in around the same time, I would take a ride for sure.

^^^ The transit situation from YEG airport  is OK but not what I would call great. There is an ETS bus that runs very half hour from there ($5) that takes you to Century Park LRT station and from there it takes about 20 minutes to get downtown on the train.

Other options are the Edmonton Skyshuttle ($18 one way or $30 round trip) or flat rate taxi (about $55 one way). Having said that, we are still in the organizing phase and identifying volunteers to specific tasks, but once we have it worked out I am pretty sure we can have someone out at the airport that morning. Stay tuned for details as we get closer. 

The Edmonton Night Market is set to kickoff on May 22nd and will go every Friday night throughout the summer from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM at Beaver House Park (corner of Jasper Avenue and 105 Street). For more details check out  www.jlsnightmarket.com

Update on this event. I have included it here because this night market will be hosting soccer movie screenings every Friday night as part of the ESG Soccer Film Festival. Also, it is not as previously stated, a night market in Chinatown but it is right in the heart of downtown Edmonton on Jasper Avenue and 105 Street.

So to recap, ESG Soccer Film Festival every Thursday night at the downtown Pint and every Friday at the night market. Hopefully, this makes more sense now.   

• 2 weeks later...

Wow indeed Mike. Thanks for creating this thread!  :)

I fly in on Friday June 5th arriving at  (EDIT -wrong info posted)

Since I`m returning to Canada on this flight after a 4 months work contract in France I`m going to have a serious amount of luggage (likely 2 suitcases + carry-on). If anybody is willing to help I won`t refuse an offer!

sounds really really awesome!
I will be coming from overseas at thursday 4th, landing 6.37 pm in edmonton and I have no clue where that is where i am staying hahaha it`s not that far from the stadium, like 2-3 stations?! I will only be there for the opening game :-( leaving on the 7th, but maybe i can manage to come back for the 2nd game from winnipeg.. (need to win in the lottery LOL)
when is your little soccer tournament planned?! if it`s in the time I`ll be there, count me in! ;-)
I love your guys plans!!!
I think I already love canada hahaha
and Olympique_de_Marseille : I can`t wait to see you again buddy!!!
Oh: another Q: are drums allowed in the stadium? if so, is it only in the supporters section? I got a ticket somewhere in the first category i think?!

^^^ I sent you a PM with details on the Voyageurs airport shuttle offer.

With respect to the drums, we were allowed to have them last year at the U20WWC when we played Germany in the quarter final in Edmonton. A number of us have been in contact with the FIFA LOC and CSA about what will be allowed and just today I have been Emailing back and forth to clarify a few items.

Wouldn't you want to slide over to the supporters section and join us even if your ticket is for a more expensive section?

so peeps!!!! with this I announce.. I come back to edmonton for the 2nd game.. I need a ticket in your section, as I promised, I will stand with you and the link on the page here doesn`t work..
I am crazy, i know that, but I just couldn`t let this opportunity slip away..
frankfurt->edmonton->winnipeg->edmonton->winnipeg-frankfurt.. and I am scared of flying LOL

@deadlynx  You are right that the link on the home page no longer works for tickets. I would suggest that you do one of two things.

1) Send Jamie an EMail at socceronly@gmail.com and ask him if he still has any tickets left in the supporters section for that second game. If no, proceed to step 2.

2) You can go to the Ticketmaster website and buy a seat from them in the 6th row of Section FF for $50 but it will end up costing you $62.50 with their fees added on. That will allow you to be part of the supporter's section since you are in the next row.

After some recent discussions that our ESG/Voyageur group has had with Edmonton Tourism and others, we have additional information to share.

Pre Game Parties; there will be three separate planned pre game parties on June 6th.

1) The family friendly version at Giovanni Caboto Park (Little Italy) in conjunction with the Heart of the City Music and Arts Festival http://www.heartcityfest.com/

2) The Chateau Nova and Ramada Inn will be hosting a pre-game party in their parking lot on Kingsway Avenue that they will be promoting to their clients.

3) The Voyageurs pre game party (adult version) at the South Side Pint near Whyte Avenue

Canadian team supporters home base throughout the tournament will be the two locations of The Pint and the primary Voyageurs home base will likely favour the downtown location.

The ESG Soccer Film Festival runs every Thursday at the downtown Pint (Jasper Ave and 109 St.) and every Friday at the Edmonton night market at Jasper Ave and 105 St.

Public viewings of the WWC matches will be hosted on the lower level of the Edmonton City Centre Mall and also outdoors at Centennial Plaza which is located downtown between the main branch of the Edmonton Public Library and the Westin hotel.

A number of pubs and restaurants are reportedly planning on designing and featuring special WWC menu items and drink specials for the event.

Game Day on June 6th

Pre game festivities start at 10 AM at the South Side Pint near Whyte Avenue

The Edmonton Pride Parade goes down Whyte Avenue that morning starting at 11:00 AM and winding up around 1:00 PM

The UEFA Champions League Final starts at 12:45 MDT (local time) and will be shown at the Pint for those who are interested.

Prior to the end of the UEFA match, buses will be available to take supporters from the Pint to Borden Park (just Northeast of Commonwealth Stadium) to prepare for the supporters march to the stadium which is scheduled to leave there at 2:30 PM. Borden Park is hosting the wrap up event for the Edmonton Corporate Challenge and as there are a number of corporate supporters of the WWC 2015, the Voyageurs will be joined by a number of these participants for the march to the Stadium. This will have us at the gates by 3:00 Pm so that we can get all our gear cleared through security and set up in time for the start of the big show. The post game party is scheduled to be hosted by Knoxville's Tavern at Jasper Avenue and 107 St.

Game Day on June 11th

Pre game party at the downtown Pint

Some kind of a supporters march to the stadium; details to be confirmed.

Kiwis in a blender at Commonwealth Stadium

After game party at the downtown Pint.

As any updates, changes or additions become available this will be shared. 

Our local ESG/Voyageurs Organizing Committee has been in touch with various members of the LOC here and have discussed what will and will not be allowed to be brought into Commonwealth Stadium on game days. We have been provided with the following information from the Venue Security Manager (VSM). See the attachments for the various directives in place both from the venue (Commonwealth) and also the tournament organizers (FIFA/CSA/NOC).

They have also advised that large banners displayed along the railing near the supporters section will be allowed as they were last year for the U20WWC and the Japan friendly.

They are not too receptive to the idea of a large Canadian flag being passed around in the section but I have asked for clarification as to the rationale and am waiting for an update.

Smaller flags that are on short poles or retractable poles are acceptable.

Drums and cowbells are acceptable for this event even though one of the lists has cowbells as prohibited. Bagpipes (which are a staple at Eddies games) are not acceptable.

All pyrotechnics including fireworks, flares, smoke bombs, etc. are totally unacceptable so don't even think about it. This includes the relatively benign fog machine that ESG uses at Clarke Park.

All items to be brought into the stadium must accompany you in on game day (no pre clearance) so make sure you allow adequate time to get through gate security. Or just be part of the march and we will have a designated gate that Voyageurs will pass through where security will be advised and properly briefed on what we are up to. 

post-5184-0-25031700-1431549203_thumb.pn

post-5184-0-71989900-1431549243_thumb.pn

post-5184-0-49145700-1431549262_thumb.pn

post-5184-0-07823100-1431549280_thumb.pn

post-5184-0-80390600-1431549326_thumb.pn

so drums allowed?! does anybody have a drum left over for me? I`d do it :-) but impossible to bring one from germany
@ClashCitySoccer you got a mail :-)

btw you guys are a major part why I will fly back n forth between edmonton and winnipeg :-)

In the supporter's section, where hopefully nobody would be dumb enough to complain about obstructed vision due to a flag, I think we would be safe up to about a 3' by 5' flag and I am going with the assumption that our soft PVC 5' poles will be allowed as well. They seem okay with even longer flag poles if they are of the telescoping retractable type but these are kind of expensive. If there is a debate about it at the gate I think we can point out that the identical items were allowed at the U20WWC without incident.

BTW, I have been meaning to raise the question about provincial flags for the supporters march and in the stadium. Are you guys up for this and if so, which ones do we have and which ones do we still need?

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have done a wonderful job and I'm looking forward to taking part in as many events as I can.

What time do the opening ceremonies start before the first game? I assume there will be some culturally appropriate singing and dancing before the 4 p.m. kickoff.

cheers,

matthew

Archived