Nationalizing players

Moldy9

I am not up to speed on which foreign players would be on the radar to getting their Canadian citizenship. I doubt there are many and if there were some who'd be close to having played here for 5 years with a PR status that they'd even be good enough to play for the MNT. Two foreigners that I know to be going on 4 years in Montreal for example are Bush and Camara. I believe the whole idea of nationalizing players who have played in Canada has taken a setback with the recent citizenship issues of CFL player Henry Burris. This guy has been playing in Canada since 2005 has won two championships has two kids born in Canada and he is having a hard time getting citizenship. I find it hard to believe. And if he's having troubles how can we expect any other player to get nationalized? Pretty much forget that idea no?

I'll say this. I don't expect any player to naturalize for Canada with the way our citizenship rules work. It's so hard for a guy like Wandrille Lefèvre who has been here for about 12 years and he still doesn't have his citizenship as of now.

I don't expect any footballers to play for Canada when they came here to play as pro footballers.

How many American players were naturalized by the same way in the past 10 years (ie foreign pro footballer comes to play in the US and plays for national team)? The only ones who I've seen moved there as teens. Then again, the US didn't need to naturalize players in the past 5 years, because of the new rules about switching nationalities which helped many players who would have been otherwise captied to play for the US and because there are not that many foreign players worth it.

Fair enough OM, as for Blackdude's point, I guess the closest thing might be the occasional talk of Osvaldo Alonso getting involved with the USMNT? (though it seems that ship has sailed)

How many American players were naturalized by the same way in the past 10 years (ie foreign pro footballer comes to play in the US and plays for national team)? The only ones who I've seen moved there as teens. Then again, the US didn't need to naturalize players in the past 5 years, because of the new rules about switching nationalities which helped many players who would have been otherwise captied to play for the US and because there are not that many foreign players worth it.

So I'm prepared to get shit on for this one, but Teal Bunbury hasn't played a game with the US national side in a very long time. Should Canada stop by to see if there's any interest on his behalf?

He can't. He filed a one time switch to play for the US. His NT career is over due to his short-sightedness.

Sounds like floro is well aware of those eligible for Canada and has been in contact with them. 

Hoilett is just one of several players who are eligible to represent Canada along with other countries. Floro has acknowledged his pursuit of Calgary-born striker Tesho Akindele, but others such as Philadelphia Union center back Steven Vitoria, Ethan Finlay of Columbus Crew, and Portuguese youth international defender Ricardo Ferreira are eligible for Canada under current FIFA rules.

The number of dual nationals available makes for an enticing prospect for the 114th-ranked Canadian side.

"Some of them we've tried to contact but for each situation ... it was not possible," Floro explained. "For others  — for example, Akindele — we contacted [them] and we are close to agreeing but we need to fix the matter now. We are always paying attention [to Canadian players] all around the world.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4173/canadian-national-team/2015/04/15/10796412/hoilett-still-non-committal-to-canada-says-floro?CMPID=FBCAN_150415_Hoilett

ruffian posted that article from today in another thread. 

So I'm prepared to get shit on for this one, but Teal Bunbury hasn't played a game with the US national side in a very long time. Should Canada stop by to see if there's any interest on his behalf?

You must be new - welcome to the fourm :)

Sounds like floro is well aware of those eligible for Canada and has been in contact with them.

Hoilett is just one of several players who are eligible to represent Canada along with other countries. Floro has acknowledged his pursuit of Calgary-born striker Tesho Akindele, but others such as Philadelphia Union center back Steven Vitoria, Ethan Finlay of Columbus Crew, and Portuguese youth international defender Ricardo Ferreira are eligible for Canada under current FIFA rules.

The number of dual nationals available makes for an enticing prospect for the 114th-ranked Canadian side.

"Some of them we've tried to contact but for each situation ... it was not possible," Floro explained. "For others — for example, Akindele — we contacted [them] and we are close to agreeing but we need to fix the matter now. We are always paying attention [to Canadian players] all around the world.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4173/canadian-national-team/2015/04/15/10796412/hoilett-still-non-committal-to-canada-says-floro?CMPID=FBCAN_150415_Hoilett

ruffian posted that article from today in another thread.

It's too bad we don't have more information about each case. I am really curious to know what objection each player has?

Also - I appreciate that Floro doesn't use a translator, but his english on this one leads me to wonder: has he tried to contact these guys but it wasn't possible to reach them? Or, has he contacted them all successfully and it wasn't possible (or rather, unwilling) for them to commit?

I am assuming the later but some clarification would be nice.

In particular, I am interested im what Vitoria's hold up is. I suspect he wants to see how this MLS season pans out before filing a switch. If he's still in Benfica's plans at the end of the loan, I think he waits for the Portugal call. If Philadelphia make the loan permanent, I think he starts to consider a switch much more seriously.

Edit: I am only curious of Vitoria. I can understand the other two and Hoilett is firmly stuck in no-man's land decision-wise.

He can't. He filed a one time switch to play for the US. His NT career is over due to his short-sightedness.

One time switch is for youth stuff, the correct term here is cap-tied.  Once you play a competitive level game for one country, you can't play for another country.  Besides, I don't think Teal ever played for Canada, so one-time switch wouldn't apply either.

One time switch is for youth stuff, the correct term here is cap-tied.  Once you play a competitive level game for one country, you can't play for another country.  Besides, I don't think Teal ever played for Canada, so one-time switch wouldn't apply either.

Teal played for U17 and U20 before playing for U23 US team and then the senior team. The one time switch can be applied to both youth and senior levels, unless one played a competitive game at senior level. In Teal's case, the one time switch cap-tied him to USMNT.

No, Teal Bunbury definitely filed for a one-time switch.

If you have more than one nationality at the time you play in an official FIFA youth tourney for one country, you are "provisionally cap-tied" and then if you want to rep another country you have to file a one time switch, Fabian Johnson of the US is an example, American dad, German mom, had both at the time of repping Germany in the U21 Euros. He then filed the switch in 2011 to represent the United States.

Fernando of Brazil is another  example, albeit of a failed one. He is Brazilian by birth, but he spent enough time in Portugal to gain POR citizenship. He however could not rep POR internationally because he had played for Brazil in a youth tourney, and at the time of that youth tourney he did not have POR citizenship. 

I believe Kianz Froese filed a one time switch for us, and Bustos is currently provisonally cap-tied and if he wanted to play for another country (Chile, Italy) he would have to apply to file a one time switch.

I'm going off my knowledge, if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Teal played for U17 and U20 before playing for U23 US team and then the senior team. The one time switch can be applied to both youth and senior levels, unless one played a competitive game at senior level. In Teal's case, the one time switch cap-tied him to USMNT.

Still, cap-tied is cap-tied, and it's a very definitive thing.  One-time switch fucks you, cap-tied fucks you, he's double fucking yankee fucked lol...but Alex rules.

I believe Kianz Froese filed a one time switch for us, and Bustos is currently provisonally cap-tied and if he wanted to play for another country (Chile, Italy) he would have to apply to file a one time switch.

I'm going off my knowledge, if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Also not sure but, would that mean he had Canadian Citizenship when he played for Cuba?

Archived