Canadians in 2015 NASL Season

Alrighty, keeping track of folks in the NASL this year. Think I have everyone listed

ATLANTA SILVERBACKS (2)

Dominic Oppong - MF - '86

Kyle Porter - FW - '90

FC EDMONTON (11)

Tyson Farago - GK - '91

Christian Kaiswatum - GK '97

John Smits - GK - '88

Marko Aleksic DF - '96
Edson Edward - DF - '88 
Mallan Roberts - DF - '92

Allan Zebie - DF - '93
Hanson Boakai - MF - '96
Michael Nonni - MF - '89
Sadi Jalali - FW - '95

Frank Jonke - FW - '85

OTTAWA FURY FC (9)

Chad Bush - GK - '94

Marcel de Bellis GK  - '91

Drew Beckie - DF - '90

Mason Trafford - DF - '86

Philippe Davies - MF - '90

Julian de Guzman - MF - '81

Mauro Eustaquio - MF - '93

Patryk Misik - MF - '94

Carl Haworth - FW - '89

SAN ANTONIO SCORPIONS FC (2)

Nana Attakora - DF - '89

Adrian Cann - DF - '80

Fair point, I'll update the first post to be the same format as last year's thread. Okay so in action from yesterday.

Beckie, Haworth, de Guzman and Misik all got the start for Ottawa.

Haworth missed a penalty and hit the post.

- de Guzman received a red in injury time.

- Misik was subbed off in the 83 minute.

- Beckie fouled a Carolina player to lead to a penalty which led to Carolina's 2nd goal.

Edward, Jonke and Roberts got the start for Edmonton

- Edward went the full 90, apparently missed a glorious chance in the 85th minute (didn't see it)
- Roberts went the full 90
- Jonke was hauled down from a clear scoring chance in minute 5, didn't see much out of him otherwise
- Sadi Jalali was subbed on in the 65th minute

Looks like Porter and Oppong played the full 90 in Atlanta and likewise with Attakora in San Antonio

Thanks for the initiative shermanator. I can definitely contribute to the thread, specifically the Fury's Canadians. I'll try to watch a few Eddies games this year as well.

I don't follow MLS as much as I used to (since Ottawa's expansion), but find the 'Canadians in MLS' thread useful. Highlighting what our players are up to in NASL can achieve a similar objective of providing quick updates about how they're doing.

Two different positions there. Striker and mid.

Boakai probably has more potential, being slightly younger and (despite what his twitter might show) IMO he has more maturity on the pitch. Fantastic to see Jalali get some minutes against Jacksonville though, and I think he's matured a lot over the last 18 months. Hopefully has gained some composure.

Hanson already has offers beyond the NASL, but did not dress last game (injured). Sadi? Not 100% sure, though he has explored some overseas camps. As an Eddie fan, I'd sell both of them for the right price, and cheer on whatever team they ended with.

Re: Boakai vs. Jalali, Boakai has much higher upside.

In the appearances I have watched, Boakai was a catalyst for the Eddies offense in the minutes he played. He shredded both Ottawa and Montreal in the Voyageurs Cup. IMO he hasn't necessarily gotten a fair shake under Miller, although to be fair he just turned 18, and has accomplished more at the professional level to date than anyone else in his age group. I'm frankly surprised he was not sold in the offseason, I think he's had some injury problems since the end of last year which could have factored into that decision, and was the reason he was not in the lineup on Saturday.

Jalali hasn't done much in his opportunity in Edmonton to date. He's gotten 5 starts in those years and has created absolutely nothing in those games. His only goal was a result of him stealing the ball from Neil Hlavaty to take a penalty to make the game 6-1 against Carolina, royally pissing off Hlavaty in the meantime (to be fair Hlavaty was always running his mouth and it drove me nuts). I cannot comment on Jalali's performance on Saturday as I only watched until about the 70th minute. IMO, Jalali's career trajectory as of today is that he will be out of the game at 25, and that may be optimistic.

What are you talking about 

IMO, Jalali's career trajectory as of today is that he will be out of the game at 25, and that may be optimistic.

What are you talking about? Kid is only 19 years old and has played in 18 professional games so far. That's more than 24 yr old Mackenzie Pridham or 22 yr old Mo Babouli just to name a few. 21 yr old Jay Chapman who is highly touted here has only played in 2 pro games so far. (Why Caps are signing 24 yr olds without experience is a whole different subject btw).

Everybody can see Boakai is a major talent, but to say Jalali's career will probably end at 25 is beyond me really. The fact that Miller sees something in the kid, even gave him a contract extension speaks for him. Especially considering Miller likes most of his players athletic, strong, big, fast etc. Jalali is non of those, which leads me to conclude Miller sees something in him that complements his selection (technical abilities and savviness probably).

What are you talking about 

What are you talking about? Kid is only 19 years old and has played in 18 professional games so far. That's more than 24 yr old Mackenzie Pridham or 22 yr old Mo Babouli just to name a few. 21 yr old Jay Chapman who is highly touted here has only played in 2 pro games so far. (Why Caps are signing 24 yr olds without experience is a whole different subject btw).

Everybody can see Boakai is a major talent, but to say Jalali's career will probably end at 25 is beyond me really. The fact that Miller sees something in the kid, even gave him a contract extension speaks for him. Especially considering Miller likes most of his players athletic, strong, big, fast etc. Jalali is non of those, which leads me to conclude Miller sees something in him that complements his selection (technical abilities and savviness probably).

What have you seen in Jalali's play that suggests otherwise?

He's an aggressive striker. I would suggest that Jalali has been hurt over the last few years from a poor midfield rather than poor play himself. He had more skill than Michael Cox, and is much younger. As I said, I thought he needed to mature, but I've seen a decent amount of that already this season. Don't think he's on pace to be out of here in 5-6 years, but is currently surrounded by decent strikers that he can learn from.

Being subbed in when FCE was in need of an offensive spark suggests that Miller sees the same in him. Think its rather harsh to say that he's on pace to end at 25 when he hasn't been given a ton of playing time.

I don't mind Jalali. He's not a physical specimen and I think that's hurt him, playing on a pretty direct team while he's still learning to handle professional quality. But he's gotten results against lesser opposition in friendlies and I'm willing to be patient.

Fair points from both. Like I said, I can't comment on what Jalali did on Saturday, but from what I had seen in his first 2 years I did not rate him at all. I saw a forward who was consistently muscled off the ball and throwing his hands up in the air when he didn't get service.

There's always a lot of room for growth that should help these traits, but if he doesn't start showing said growth then I stand by my assertion that he will end up like so many other talented Canadians, out of the game at 25.

Lots of Canadian action in the OTT-ATL game from last night

For the Fury, Haworth and Misik start. Haworth goes the full 90. Misik subbed off in the 76th minute for Beckie. Estaquio subbed in the 88th minute

For the Silverbacks, Oppong and Porter start. Oppong subbed off in the 88th minute. Porter gets his first goal of the year.

Lots of Canadian action in the OTT-ATL game from last night

For the Fury, Haworth and Misik start. Haworth goes the full 90. Misik subbed off in the 76th minute for Beckie. Estaquio subbed in the 88th minute

For the Silverbacks, Oppong and Porter start. Oppong subbed off in the 88th minute. Porter gets his first goal of the year.

Fury didn't look too good in the final third last night. Haworth with some nice plays and creating some spark, but didn't really create chances. I thought Misik was more anonymous, wasn't really a positive or negative influence.

Interesting that Beckie is being played as a midfielder this year. He was surprisingly decent when he played there for most of the opening game vs Carolina.

And, not to be overly negative, but Porter's goal really looked offside, and blatantly so...

NASL roundup for week 3.

Haworth and de Guzman get the start and go the full 90 for Ottawa. Misik comes on in the 87th minute. Nothing really of note in the bits I watched.

Roberts and Edward get the start and go the full 90 for Edmonton. Jonke gets the start and misses a PK. He was subbed off for Ameobi in the 73rd minute and it changed the complexion of the game. Can't imagine we will see Jonke starting anytime soon. Also Jalali subs in the 73rd minute and played the best I have ever seen. He played in more of an AM role and won a few challenges, didn't give the ball away cheaply either. Looks to be more physically developed too. A few more games like that and maybe I can eat some crow...

Attakora got the start and went the full 90 for San Antonio.

Porter got the start and went the full 90 for Atlanta. Oppong got the start and was subbed out in the 72nd minute.

This week:

Julian de Guzman and Carl Haworth go 90 minutes for Ottawa Fury. Haworth picking up a yellow card. Misik getting subbed in at the 87', Beckie, Trafford, Eustaquio, and de Bellis were unused subs. Fury lose 3-1 to Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

Dominic Oppong and Kyle Porter both play 90 minutes as Atlanta Silverbacks draw New York Cosmos 0-0.

Nana Attakora plays 90 minutes, picking up a yellow card in the 61st, in San Antonio's 2-2 draw with Minnesota United.

Five Canadians playing full games, and that's with the Eddies getting the week off. Not a bad weekend for Canucks in NASL.

Archived