Guilano Frano

Dub Narcotic

Came up through Sigma Academy, starting with S2.

SEATTLE, WASH. – Seattle Sounders FC 2 has signed Canadian midfielder Giuliano Frano, the club announced today. Frano, 21, most recently played collegiately for Boston College. Per league and club policy, terms of the deal are not being disclosed.

Frano started all 34 games in his two years at Boston College and led the Golden Eagles with four goals as a junior in 2013. Before Boston College, Frano played at University of Montevallo in Alabama where he started 31 of the 40 games he appeared in for the Falcons.

“Frano is a good two-way midfielder who defends well, but also gets forward well,” said S2 Head Coach Ezra Hendrickson. “Having Frano in the middle with Amadou Sanyang is going to be an excellent pairing for us this season.”

Frano led Montevallo with nine assists as a sophomore in 2012. He also scored four goals and added four assists as a freshman, and was a Peach Belt Conference All-Academic selection.

“It feels great knowing that all the work I put in during the preseason is paying off,” said Frano. “We look forward to showing what we can do tonight as we try to make it with the First Team.”

S2 opens its inaugural USL campaign tonight at 7:30 p.m. PT against defending USL champion Sacramento Republic FC. Members of the media interested in attending the club’s first USL match should contact Branden Griffith [BrandenG@SoundersFC.com] immediately, as press box space and parking considerations are limited.

Tickets to tonight’s contests, as well as season ticket options – including all 14 regular season, post-season and S2 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup games – are available via sndrs.com/ut4w.

Transaction: Seattle Sounders FC 2 signs midfielder Giuliano Frano on March 21, 2015.

Name: Giuliano Frano
Position: Midfielder
Height: 5-11
Weight: 163
Born: May 16, 1993
Hometown: Mississauga, Ontario
Citizenship: Canada
Acquired: Signed to S2 roster on March 21, 2015
Previous Experience: Boston College (2013), University of Montevallo (2011-2012)

Your point was that there were Canadians because USL doesn't count them as domestics. In fact, there's more in MLS despite them not being counted as domestics. Same goes for NASL probably. 

I'm confused. USL counts Canadians as domestics. There are more Canadians in USL than you think, but who honestly followed intensely that league since the NASL/USL split? There were Canadians on a lot of American teams and they didn't count as domestics, that's why it was easy for Pridham to make it to Pittsburgh, that's why Tyler Rosenlund snuck around in USL, because he wasn't a foreigner. I don't know why there have been more. Fact is our MLS players in the US are already at the national team level when they enter the league. Even the NASL players are often proven in NASL/MLS when signing there. Pridham's the only exception I can recall of a Canadian player in NASL who signed and wasn't proven at that level.

Gyorio also signed for an NASL team last season (although he didn't play). Looking at USL right now and leaving the Canadian teams beside, you got Frano, Cabrilo, Pasher and let's also name Ouimette cause he'll probably play more for the USL team than the MLS side. Did I leave any behind? Yes I did, Gyorio himself is also in USL right now (Aztex).

Looking at NASL from the top of my head I can recall Nana, Porter, Oppong. I dunno if you could say there's a correlation between domestics and numbers of payers. Especially considering there's 11 NASL teams and 24 in USL. 

edit: He's also another one Canada's scouting has failed to pick up.

This isn't surprising.  He's a 93.  Even if he was included on the U20 teams, he wouldn't have had much playing time as he was competing with Piette, Fisk, McKendry, Aleman, Petrasso, Carreiro etc.

• 3 months later...

Gyorio also signed for an NASL team last season (although he didn't play). Looking at USL right now and leaving the Canadian teams beside, you got Frano, Cabrilo, Pasher and let's also name Ouimette cause he'll probably play more for the USL team than the MLS side. Did I leave any behind? Yes I did, Gyorio himself is also in USL right now (Aztex).

Looking at NASL from the top of my head I can recall Nana, Porter, Oppong. I dunno if you could say there's a correlation between domestics and numbers of payers. Especially considering there's 11 NASL teams and 24 in USL. 

This is what I'm finding scanning the Wiki (not 100% accurate of course) USL rosters for USA based teams :

Defender     Nikola Paunic       Orange County Blues FC   (former TFC Academy)
Midfielder    Mozzi Gyorio        Austin Aztex
Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh  Louisville City FC 
Midfielder    Kevin Cossette     Louisville City FC   (signed a few weeks ago)
Defender    Karl Ouimette       NYRB II
Defender    Jordan Murrell      Real Monarchs
Defender    Tyler Pasher         Pittsburgh Riverhounds
Forward      Miroslav Čabrilo   Pittsburgh Riverhounds

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2015 at 11:21 AM, Vince193 said:

I may be wrong but I think he came up through Sigma FC in Ontario. They often Retweet news involving him.

I believe he was referring to Patino above who had news on him in the same release, my bad for having been the one to sidetrack it