Canadians abroad: March 20-26, 2015

DJT

Guidelines for this thread
  • In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 20-26, 2015.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott didn't come off the bench yesterday. Neither did Menz. 

Stanese got the start for Augsburg 2, they are leading 0-1. Also starting is Roger Thompson, his side Baunatal is trailing though.

In the 3rd Bundesliga, both Ledgerwood and REW got the start. Both their teams are tied 1-1 at halftime.

Kapor got the start for Bystrica, Cebare not in the suqad for Moravce. Both teams are trailing.

Later we'll probably see some Canadians in action in Serbia (Milan) and Hungary (James).

As expected, both Borjan and James got the start for their clubs. Pecsi is trailing and are down a man. Radnicki are leading 1-0.

Also earlier today Okzhetpes won at home in Kazachstan. Di Chiara started and was subbed off after 69 minutes. Okzhetpes is now second in the standings. I really haven't got a clue about the level in Kazachstan, all I know t's a huge country with lots of (oil-) money.

Gasparotto got the start for Airdreonians. Carreiro is nowhere to be seen at Arbroath, maybe he's injured?

Edgar started for Huddersfield Town. They are trailing at home against 10-men Fulham.

Haber started for Crewe Alexandra in League One. He was subbed off after 69 minutes. Cewe are still 0-1 at home against Oldham after 81 minutes.

Re: Carriero

This article just said he was out, which usually suggests injury: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/league-2/east-fife-v-arbroath-fifers-looking-for-better-1.853645

Plus a little tidbit of a summary on his contributions as of late via a fan board: "Dylan Carreiro is consistently frustrating with his refusal to let go of the ball! Yet, he has provided some much-needed inspiration on occasion."

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=19&fid=34&sty=2&act=17&mid=2110156469

Also some notes on Aird, who seems to have suffered more than most with that poorly thought out mid-season re-tooling:

Also training with the first team were Robbie Crawford and Fraser Aird, both of whom impressed the manager enough for him to consider more of t

he youth players for upcoming games.

He said: "If I look at how young Walshy has done, maybe we will go a bit more with the youth players but I need to see a bit more of them. 

“We’ve had a couple of them in training with us – Robbie Crawford made an impression and Fraser Aird was back in training with us and also made an impression. 

“I think that’s what it is all about whether you are experienced or young, or whatever it might be, you have to make that impression - you’ve got to catch the eye and do things that make people take notice.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8833-chances-to-be-grasped

Also some notes on Aird, who seems to have suffered more than most with that poorly thought out mid-season re-tooling:

Also training with the first team were Robbie Crawford and Fraser Aird, both of whom impressed the manager enough for him to consider more of t

he youth players for upcoming games.

He said: "If I look at how young Walshy has done, maybe we will go a bit more with the youth players but I need to see a bit more of them.

“We’ve had a couple of them in training with us – Robbie Crawford made an impression and Fraser Aird was back in training with us and also made an impression.

“I think that’s what it is all about whether you are experienced or young, or whatever it might be, you have to make that impression - you’ve got to catch the eye and do things that make people take notice.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8833-chances-to-be-grasped

He was terrible in most of the games he had played in, not the retooling

He was terrible in most of the games he had played in, not the retooling

I retract any suggestion that I actually saw him play (which I most definitely haven't); was only pointing out that he seemed to leave the side right when the loanees cam on board. Attracts a lot of negative press, at least from certain sections of the "fans". This thread reminds me of a certain season of Stalteri-bashing we had around these parts back in the day:

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/150280-can-we-please-start-up-episode-2-of-things-fraser-aird-believes/

That tweet of his is extraordinarily dumb though. 

Anyway Sam Piette started and got 90 (I assume) yesterday when El Fabril annihilated Silva (5-0)  on Friday. 

Corbin-Ong in the line-up for BAK 07. 

Later on today Haber will have a crucial relegation-battle in Cyprus. Doxa Katokopia are one point behind Ayia Napa in the standings, which means relegation. 

Edit: Cobin-Ong scores in the 83rd minute to bring Berliner AK the victory over Wacker Nordhausen, bringing BAK to 4th place. He is having a great season in the capital, hopefully he gets noticed and picked-up by a better team. 

I retract any suggestion that I actually saw him play (which I most definitely haven't); was only pointing out that he seemed to leave the side right when the loanees cam on board. Attracts a lot of negative press, at least from certain sections of the "fans". This thread reminds me of a certain season of Stalteri-bashing we had around these parts back in the day:

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/150280-can-we-please-start-up-episode-2-of-things-fraser-aird-believes/

Aird is one of the players that we Jambos really do not like.  He's shot off his mouth and has been frankly, horrible.  I will cheer for him if he plays for Canada…until then, I'm with my fellow Hearts supporters on him.

Well uhh. At least this pushes him away from the Scotland NT setup?

Absolutely. Good player and unfortunate to have a tough go of it in Germany and with the NT suspension.

I'm not surprised he's in good form at the moment; I believe some of us thought his club situation was indicative of his decline, but let's keep things in perspective a bit...

Number 1 - he was (and still is) under contract with Eintracht Frankfurt. It's not easy to break into Bundesliga clubs, especially for a Canadian, so it's no slight against him for not getting minutes.

Number 2 - before this loan he was sent to FC Kaiserslautern, who were freshly relegated to the 2. Bundesliga. It's easy to dismiss his return of 3 goals in 21 games - but he joined a "Bundesliga level" club with "Bundesliga level" players. Breaking into that team couldn't have been much easier than breaking into Eintracht Frankfurt, and the vast majority of those 21 games saw him enter as a substitute. How many of our strikers would even make the bench at FCK? Let alone score a goal. 

Now he is in Norway, and he is scoring, and that is good for us. If he continues to show this form he HAS to be called into WCQ and Gold Cup. At the moment he's a better striker than both Ricketts and Cavallini. And that is the most important thing - Who will give us the best chance to win right NOW. 

Absolutely. Good player and unfortunate to have a tough go of it in Germany and with the NT suspension.

I'm not surprised he's in good form at the moment; I believe some of us thought his club situation was indicative of his decline, but let's keep things in perspective a bit...

Number 1 - he was (and still is) under contract with Eintracht Frankfurt. It's not easy to break into Bundesliga clubs, especially for a Canadian, so it's no slight against him for not getting minutes.

Number 2 - before this loan he was sent to FC Kaiserslautern, who were freshly relegated to the 2. Bundesliga. It's easy to dismiss his return of 3 goals in 21 games - but he joined a "Bundesliga level" club with "Bundesliga level" players. Breaking into that team couldn't have been much easier than breaking into Eintracht Frankfurt, and the vast majority of those 21 games saw him enter as a substitute. How many of our strikers would even make the bench at FCK? Let alone score a goal. 

Now he is in Norway, and he is scoring, and that is good for us. If he continues to show this form he HAS to be called into WCQ and Gold Cup. At the moment he's a better striker than both Ricketts and Cavallini. And that is the most important thing - Who will give us the best chance to win right NOW. 

The thing is Occean was the starter for Eintracht when they were promoted  and they went on that tear at the start of that season keeping up with Bayern at the top. During that time Occean played 18 games and only managed 1 goal.

I'd cool off on him until the season starts and he plays competitive games for Odds. But his return in pre-season has been ridiculous and I expect it to transfer into the regular season for them.

Archived