Scott Arfield

Oso is probably most similar to Arfield, so I get the comparisons, but they do bring different things to the team, so ideally it would be nice to have both.

At this point the only midfielder who's a sure starter is Eustaquio, and that even includes Hutchinson based on this last window.

And really, who starts and who doesn't has become less important given the 3-game windows. Everyone will be needed.

So is Arfield still a starter? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the game, the opponent, how we are rotating, etc. He's still in the group of Osorio, Kaye, and Hutchinson (arguably Wotherspoon is in this rotation as well).

Eustaquio is key, Fraser is an understudy, everyone else seems to be rotatable. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Oso is at his prime which is one of the better midfielders in MLS and a unique option for Canada which is great.

I think Oso has a massive role to play in this next windows away matches. We saw a totally different Oso in those TFC CCL runs and I think that experience has to be tapped into for our games in Central America

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I don't see any circumstance, barring injury to the players in question, where Osorio and Kaye don't start in Mexico. Osorio has shown with TFC how well he travels throughout the regions, and Kaye's going to be our only midfielder who's not going to be negatively affected by altitude.

I think we might play similar to how we did against the States and in that case I think our best midfield combo is Kaye and Eustaquio. Osorio would still be a great option off the bench though as we’ll need him. 

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

Oso is at his prime which is one of the better midfielders in MLS and a unique option for Canada which is great.

💯 agree but Arfield is still an upgraded Oso still who’s career is declining. That’s the scary part. I feel bad Oso because he should have never stayed at TFC he’s game has basically stayed the same. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Oso is probably most similar to Arfield, so I get the comparisons, but they do bring different things to the team, so ideally it would be nice to have both.

At this point the only midfielder who's a sure starter is Eustaquio, and that even includes Hutchinson based on this last window.

And really, who starts and who doesn't has become less important given the 3-game windows. Everyone will be needed.

So is Arfield still a starter? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the game, the opponent, how we are rotating, etc. He's still in the group of Osorio, Kaye, and Hutchinson (arguably Wotherspoon is in this rotation as well).

Eustaquio is key, Fraser is an understudy, everyone else seems to be rotatable. 

I think Oso is a staw boss within this team as well. Arfield has the stature and personality to be a guy like that too, but he lost his moral authority to do so when he asked not to be called for minnows, or at least did not appear to manage that situation well.

No way Oso is dropped for Arfield at any point. If anyone makes way it's probably Spoony, or he could find himself back into the team if Herdman expands the squad to 26 next window.

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

No way Oso is dropped for Arfield at any point. If anyone makes way it's probably Spoony, or he could find himself back into the team if Herdman expands the squad to 26 next window.

This is the the only way. And I hope he does. But then there’s guys like Millar, Corbeanu and ZBG who could have arguments to be included as well.

I literally think at this point it depends on the health of the squad. If there’s no increase to the 23 man roster, and the same guys are available from this last camp …Arfield will miss out again and JH will eloquently say he’s still committed but these guys, this unit, this family showed last window that we can achieve our goals, so it doesn’t make sense to switch things up. 

Long story short, the CSA could’ve afforded to call up 1 more guy/the former captain, and the coaching staff decided against it. He could’ve got Spoony minutes or even Frasers to see how he would take it.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

This is the the only way. And I hope he does. But then there’s guys like Millar, Corbeanu and ZBG who could have arguments to be included as well.

I literally think at this point it depends on the health of the squad. If there’s no increase to the 23 man roster, and the same guys are available from this last camp …Arfield will miss out again and JH will eloquently say he’s still committed but these guys, this unit, this family showed last window that we can achieve our goals, so it doesn’t make sense to switch things up. 

Long story short, the CSA could’ve afforded to call up 1 more guy/the former captain, and the coaching staff decided against it. He could’ve got Spoony minutes or even Frasers to see how he would take it.

"....depends on the health of the squad..." That's a very important point. In the last window we were fortunate no one was injured. Cavallini came in recovering but he was okay for the last game. I don't think we'll be as fortunate in the next window. We'll have players that won't be fit. That's one point.

Another is Akinola. He'll probably be ready for Nov 2022. Do we not invite him because he wasn't around for the qualification rounds?

Same with Arfield. If he is fit and on top of his game, he gets a call.

7 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Qatar went to Brazil and basically bought all their players why because they want to do well. England and France basically steal their players. But we say no to players because they don’t want to play shopkeepers on a cow pitch and have corrupt the refs not call any fouls. 

Uuumm I'm sorry but 52 players at the last world cup were born in France. 22 of the 23 players on France World Cup winning team were born in France ( umtiti moved to France before he was 5).  

Literally the exact opposite of what you posted about France is true. 

Just because France went through significant recolonization 50+ years ago and is one of the most multicultural European countries does not mean " France steals it's players". 

I know you passionate but man that was quite the ignorant comment, and could not be further from the truth.

Anyways, I'm on board for Arfield, hope we see him next window. 

Edited by apbsmith

28 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Uuumm I'm sorry but 52 players at the last world cup were born in France. 22 of the 23 players on France World Cup winning team were born in France ( umtiti moved to France before he was 5).  

Literally the exact opposite of what you posted about France is true. 

Just because France went through significant recolonization 50+ years ago and is one of the most multicultural European countries does not mean " France steals it's players". 

I know you passionate but man that was quite the ignorant comment, and could not be further from the truth.

Anyways, I'm on board for Arfield, hope we see him next window. 

You should ask those African countries how they feel.

https://theundefeated.com/features/france-2018-fifa-world-cup-last-standing-african-team/

For YEARS France has used players from their former and current French colonies. So no it’s not ignorant. It’s ignorant to think that’s still not happening.

Edited by SpecialK

22 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

https://theundefeated.com/features/france-2018-fifa-world-cup-last-standing-african-team/

For YEARS France has used players from their former and current French colonies. So no it’s ignorant. It’s ignorant to think that’s still not happening.

Apbsmith just provided facts discrediting your statement that France “steal their players”. 22 of 23 players were born in France. Thats not stealing players. 

You followed up with an article confirming all the players were born in France to African parents. In no way is France stealing players.  

Regardless not sure what this all has to do with Arfield who isnt even playing regularly for Rangers. 

41 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

https://theundefeated.com/features/france-2018

41 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

For YEARS France has used players from their former and current French countries. So no it’s ignorant. It’s ignorant to think that’s still not happening.

-fifa-world-cup-last-standing-african-team/

For YEARS France has used players from their former and current French countries. So no it’s ignorant. It’s ignorant to think that’s still not happening.

How am I ignorant when I literally acknowledged and wrote about post WW2 recolonization and France multiculturalism in my response?

"France steals players" is what you wrote, so according to that, anyone from African descent but still born in France with African ancestry means France is "stealing you"?

Got it. 

Born and develop your trait in France yet because your black France stole you? Cool statement.

What's next Belgium stole Lukaku?

Talking about ancestry is fine accusing France of "stealing"... I mean it's the internet so that's your opinion.  

Apologize for all if briefly derailed this thread, I'll refrain moving forward. 

Edited by apbsmith

23 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

For YEARS France has used players from their former and current French colonies. So no it’s ignorant. It’s ignorant to think that’s still not happening.

The players were born in France. They learned to play football in France. If you think it's illegitimate that they represented France at the World Cup, I shudder to think what your true feelings are about the players that represent Canada in international football. By your logic, every player on the team has been stolen from some other country, since I don't think any have First Nations heritage.

This is just the state of modern sport, and larger than that, society today. People can move so easily. Are people mad that Raducanu, who just won the US Open, represented the UK despite being born in Canada? But then by that logic, she shouldn't even represent Canada, we stole her from China and Romania where her parents were born?

I would expect the vast majority of this thread has ancestry originating outside of this country. Today its all about where people grew up and where they most identify with (and to a degree, I'm sure, what will earn them the most success and money in their career)

Your right 

People can interpret what they want

How should we interpret "Your right"? Is it @king1010 has a right to believe "words mean things" or should we interpret "Your right" as "You're right" but spelled incorrectly?

The world is a mysterious place that we must interpret to the best of our abilities.

cat ghosts GIF by Red & Howling

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille