Jump to content

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Uhhh... this better just mean he hasn’t been playing the international game recently... right???

 

“However, Gerrard’s recent comments on the 31-year-old suggest he may now have walked away from international football.

“I think we arguably had the midfielder in form in the league in Scott Arfield, who thankfully doesn’t go on international duty any more and we can keep an eye on him here and he can train with us,” said Gerrard, as captured by RangersTV.”

 

https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/rangers-boss-gerrard-appears-to-suggest-scott-arfield-has-ended-canada-involvement/amp/

That doesnt seem that concerning. Scott doesn't go on international duty because we don't play games. Not that gard to figure out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airfield did struggle with injuries and his quality dipped a bit a few years back when he was most involved with CanMNT.

it’s possible that he will be selective going forward and only play in certain matches ...like Atiba

Edited by Floortom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Floortom said:

Airfield did struggle with injuries and his quality dipped a bit a few years back when he was most involved with CanMNT.

it’s possible that he will be selective going forward and only play in certain matches ...like Atiba

At this stage it makes sense to me. Not saying we should take our opponents lightly, but that we should start to integrate/improve the depth.

I definitely feel like we have enough midfielders where we don’t need to see Atiba and Scott all the time. 

We need to strengthen our depth, and that only happens with  new guys getting opportunities and the other core guys playing together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Shway said:

At this stage it makes sense to me. Not saying we should take our opponents lightly, but that we should start to integrate/improve the depth.

I definitely feel like we have enough midfielders where we don’t need to see Atiba and Scott all the time. 

We need to strengthen our depth, and that only happens with  new guys getting opportunities and the other core guys playing together.

kaye, piette, osorio and eustaquio. We could also play David as a 10, lots of options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

kaye, piette, osorio and eustaquio. We could also play David as a 10, lots of options. 

Patton, and Baldisimo, will deserve a look especially if they’re playing at the same level as some of our regulars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF is wrong with Canadian soccer media/sports media. I just looked at Wheelers, Rollins and others twitter. Nothing about Arfield and how he could be retiring from international duty ( which I find very unlikely due to the World Cup coming up). But it’s crazy ! One of our best players and nothing !!!  If this was another country, the media and people would be freaking out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure it’s a miscommunication rather than not communicating. 

I find it funny how Wheeler and Rollins are the go to for the ones to ask the hard questions - when most people are cynical of their reporting style.

We have many others Kloke, Platt, Larson, even Schuller @RS. Let’s ask those guys too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be surprised if Arfield hung them up for good. That said, would not be shocked if he sat out the March window to concentrate on Rangers. They will want to make sure they win the SPL at all costs. It has been a while. 

Once the European season is over I can see him back in the fold. Maybe Herdman and Gerrard work something out whereby Scotty skips the WCQ and captains the Gold Cup team. If and when Rangers win the SPL the pressure would be off and Scotty can return to being a regular in the fall of 2021. That is when we will REALLY need him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would shocked if he retired when there is a good chance to make the World Cup. I know it was reported there was some personal stuff that happen to him and that’s why he was struggling at the beginning of season. Maybe that has something do with it. I don’t why he would be part of the Gold Cup squad. In my view we should have some big friendlies with the main squad and WCQ and the Gold Cup should be for B/C squad - some young guys too. It’s great way to showcase and prove themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I would shocked if he retired when there is a good chance to make the World Cup. I know it was reported there was some personal stuff that happen to him and that’s why he was struggling at the beginning of season. Maybe that has something do with it. I don’t why he would be part of the Gold Cup squad. In my view we should have some big friendlies with the main squad and WCQ and the Gold Cup should be for B/C squad - some young guys too. It’s great way to showcase and prove themselves. 

To preserve the relationship with the club, or rather to find a compromise.

The title race will be tight and if you are Rangers you want as few of your important players going out on international duty. Like I said, Rangers haven't won in a long, long time. How many trophies has Gerrard won as a coach? This is their best start to the season during his tenure. Then consider his comments, which obviously show he is happy to have Airfield in Glasgow and not flying around the world. 

In for Gold Cup, out for WCQ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

To preserve the relationship with the club, or rather to find a compromise.

The title race will be tight and if you are Rangers you want as few of your important players going out on international duty. Like I said, Rangers haven't won in a long, long time. How many trophies has Gerrard won as a coach? This is their best start to the season during his tenure. Then consider his comments, which obviously show he is happy to have Airfield in Glasgow and not flying around the world. 

In for Gold Cup, out for WCQ?  

WCQ is way more important than Gold Cup. Yes we should beat Bermuda but that team should not over looked. They play Mexico really hard and well. Also Nikki Wells is very talented and if they get some help, they could make our lives difficult. That’s why for in my view we should have some big friendlies against really good teams, to lead up to WCQ and Gold cup should be a wash. Also the Gold Cup tourney is about 3 weeks long vs a week in  during a fifa window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also **** the club! I hate how clubs feel like they can Push us around. You don’t see them push other countries around. 
 

look at Dos Santos for Mexico. He went over to play in Europe with Mexico and missed the Vancouver game because we was had to quarantine. LA Galaxy said nothing about it. So this whole MLS ******** about players can’t play for the their national teams is just BS! Canada should be playing ! 

Edited by SpecialK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clubs don’t have the choice to release a player for international duty. It’s typically the CSA and the player agreeing to have the player stay with their club/not call them up.

I personally like the idea of the teams being a mixture of “a” and “b” players. It will allow a full assessment of the actual player pool in preparation for the potential Ocho where depth will be crucial and put to the test. 

 

Edited by Shway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this “excuse me but if it’s not too much a bother could we borrow your player for a World Cup Qualifier, but I totally understand if you don’t want to and that’s cool” attitude of asking for players died when Herdman got the job.

Starting line up for a Nations League qualifier vs US Virgin Islands.

Borjan, Cornelius, Henry, Piette, Davies, Millar, Arfield, Osorio, Hoilett, Cavallini, David. Then Larin and De Jong came off the bench.

I don’t think we will avoid calling players for WCQ for the sake of their club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Larin for the home USA NL game last year declined the call-up due to wanting to stay with his team. So it does still happen under Herdman.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I don’t think we will avoid calling players for WCQ for the sake of their club.

Avoiding calling players vs agreeing to let them be is two different things. And Herdman will make sure it is sooo eloquently worded in a way that it's the best decision for everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SpecialK said:

WCQ is way more important than Gold Cup. Yes we should beat Bermuda but that team should not over looked. They play Mexico really hard and well. Also Nikki Wells is very talented and if they get some help, they could make our lives difficult. That’s why for in my view we should have some big friendlies against really good teams, to lead up to WCQ and Gold cup should be a wash. Also the Gold Cup tourney is about 3 weeks long vs a week in  during a fifa window. 

I am not overlooking Bermuda. I want Arfield there. I also want to keep Gerrard on our good side, if possible. I do not want him pressuring Arfield to stay at Rangers. Gerrard probably has more influence than Herdman, truth be told.

You give some, you get some. That is how compromise works. If that means we lose Arfield for March and get him for the Ocho, it may be a deal worth making. Perhaps we could even get Arfield for Gold Cup as well, that is my thinking. 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I don’t think we will avoid calling players for WCQ for the sake of their club.

I don't think Herdman has gotten this far without learning how to negotiating with other people. He will do all he can to get his best squad for March, but remember he is a calculated person. If he has to drop Arfield now to get him later, he may just do that. 

Context is important. Rangers have gone through a lot in recent years. They need to win the SPL more than ever. I am not a Rangers fan per se, I am just putting myself in Gerrard's shoes. They have a narrow lead on Celtic. Arfield is off to a fantastic start. He is needed and Gerrard needs that trophy just as badly as the club does. All signs point to Gerrard asking to keep Arfield. Is Herdman really going to tell him to get stuffed because we need him versus Bermuda? I doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...