46 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Arfield's Rangers get Porto, Young Boys, and Feyenoord in Europa League Group G

Tough group.

Yikes!

I think its a pretty good draw, same was said last year when drawn with Rapid, Villareal, and Spartak. Arfield needs a good rest though, he was pretty poor yesterday.

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

I think its a pretty good draw, same was said last year when drawn with Rapid, Villareal, and Spartak. Arfield needs a good rest though, he was pretty poor yesterday.

It was always going to be tough if you are in the last pot but I think there where a few other groups that there is a better chance to get out of, this time round. B, C, I, L?  But all the best wishes. 

Some very negative reviews of his recent play for Rangers. Comments re. His needing to decide between rangers and Canada because he can’t do both:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/11/24/rangers-fans-react-to-scott-arfields-latest-performance/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.rangersnews.uk/news/rangers-fans-criticise-scott-arfield-for-poor-hamilton-showing/amp/

This doesn't surprise me. Arfield has definitely had less goal involvements than last season. For Canada he is still very useful, but I am not sure he is a sure starter. I suspect it will be the same with Rangers from now until however long he is at the club. 

Perhaps he is not helped by playing out wide at this stage of his career. I noticed he has been used in a front 3 a lot this year, whereas last year he was a CAM mostly. He's played over 450 club games, so he's not a spring chicken anymore.

Edited by Obinna

I know Arfield has played out wide many times before, but I just don't see why. Even in the Premier League with Burnley they always played him out wide, when he has always been more effective in the middle. Maybe I am biased or not in the know, but he certainly seems to have skills for the middle and lack some for out wide...

Scottish football supporters can be some of the most fickle ones out there; everything is so black or white = way more than the Voyageurs.  You are only 45 minutes between going from being Messi to being (name useless MF). 

Arfield is still a huge piece for Rangers and if they win the SPFL, he'll have a big role in it.  And if his performances haven't been to the supporters' liking, then go ahead and do as some have suggested, spend £ X Million on a new MF (oh wait, that's how they got into financial trouble less than 10 years ago - sorry, had to get that dig in).  Scotty ain't retiring from playing for Canada anytime soon. 

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

5127936.jpg

I always enjoy this.  For the 90 to 95% of footballers that start to decline in their 30s and are completely finished at 34/35, there are weird exceptions like Hutch and Ryan Giggs. Nobody is denying their individual longevity but it is simply NOT the norm.  A 31 year old showing a decline is the norm.

I agree that supporters can be fickle. Look at how bi-polar Hearts supporters were over Godinho!

Arfield took a big step down to play in the SPL, so it was no surprise to see him hit the ground running with Rangers.

I think more important is how he has been deployed. He's not going to be as influential in a front 3, but you can't argue with the teams record. They are neck-and-neck with Celtic right now and poised to advance from their Europa League group ahead of Porto.

It may not be the best position for Arfield personally, but one could argue the rearrangement has been best for the team. Scotty is still contributing and getting minutes. It's all good.

They play with a midfield 3 now, whereas last year it was mostly a diamond with Arfield at the tip, as far as I recall.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I agree that supporters can be fickle. Look at how bi-polar Hearts supporters were over Godinho!

Arfield took a big step down to play in the SPL, so it was no surprise to see him hit the ground running with Rangers.

I think more important is how he has been deployed. He's not going to be as influential in a front 3, but you can't argue with the teams record. They are neck-and-neck with Celtic right now and poised to advance from their Europa League group ahead of Porto.

It may not be the best position for Arfield personally, but one could argue the rearrangement has been best for the team. Scotty is still contributing and getting minutes. It's all good.

They play with a midfield 3 now, whereas last year it was mostly a diamond with Arfield at the tip, as far as I recall.

And Zanatta. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Scotty's birthday was just earlier this month, so he just turned 31. Yes his performances this year haven't been as strong as last year, but it could just be a dip in form. He was amazing for club and country in 2018-19.

I do love Scotty but he ain't getting any younger.

14 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

We are all getting older; nobody is even close to claiming his spot in our midfield.

We are in good hands with Arfield, Osorio and Kaye, but with all 3 playing at good levels, none of them have a secure spot.