Scott Arfield

good lord...Estaquio?? Are you serious??

Yup, I'm serious. Other than Tiebert, Piette and Osario, name me another central midfielder under 24 who you'd rate higher. (Charlie Traford perhaps, but that's about it I think)

Guy had a break out season for the second best team in NASL. IMO that counts for a lot more than garbage minutes, USL games and filling out the depth chart on an MLS team. 

Edited by A_Gagne

Yup, I'm serious. Other than Tiebert, Piette and Osario, name me another central midfielder under 24 who you'd rate higher. (Charlie Traford perhaps, but that's about it I think)

Guy had a break out season for the second best team in NASL. IMO that counts for a lot more than garbage minutes, USL games and filling out the depth chart on an MLS team. 

Based on what we've seen from Floro, Mauro is 8th on the CM depth cart? De Guz, Hutch, Johnson, Piette, Tiebert, Osorio, Trafford then Estaquio. That's pretty far down.

I don't know why being 24 years old or younger is that important to you, but just to entertain you:

Froese, Trafford, Bustos, Carriero, Chapman, ESTAQUIO, Manella, Gagnon-La...

Really, when you get down past Froese and Trafford, there's no point really keeping track. None of those guys have a realistic  shot at playing for in WCQ for us this cycle.

So, is Estaquio ahead of Bustos or Chapman? Yeah maybe, it's really a matter of opinion. But, we're essentially talking about the next generation at that point. Can't really bring Estaquio into CMNT conversation right now, with all due respect to the young man.

I don't know why being 24 years old or younger is that important to you, but just to entertain you:

Froese, Trafford, Bustos, Carriero, Chapman, ESTAQUIO, Manella, Gagnon-La...

Really, when you get down past Froese and Trafford, there's no point really keeping track. None of those guys have a realistic  shot at playing for in WCQ for us this cycle.

So, is Estaquio ahead of Bustos or Chapman? Yeah maybe, it's really a matter of opinion. But, we're essentially talking about the next generation at that point. Can't really bring Estaquio into CMNT conversation right now, with all due respect to the young man.

He does look like the most promising midfielder (behind Piette) at this point. He's got 30 pro games already, he's played in the Championship against Cosmos. he seems to have all the goods. Of the above list, only Gagnon-Lapare and Trafford (be it on a lower level) have the same amount of games played. Of course I can see the raw talent in kids like Froese and Bustos, but right now, Eustaquio is leading the pack IMO. 

Petrasso

/fin

He does look like the most promising midfielder (behind Piette) at this point. He's got 30 pro games already, he's played in the Championship against Cosmos. he seems to have all the goods. Of the above list, only Gagnon-Lapare and Trafford (be it on a lower level) have the same amount of games played. Of course I can see the raw talent in kids like Froese and Bustos, but right now, Eustaquio is le....

I think we are putting too much value on his club performances with Ottawa and neglecting the fact that he was very average in Olympic Qualifying. 

You could argue that Piette was also average in that tournament, but we know he can hang at the Senior level. The same can be said for Trafford - the sample size is small but he was very good against Ghana.

With Eustaquio, we are talking about a player who has never even been called up to a Senior camp. Froese, Carriero, Aleman, Bustos and even Mannella (who I really don't rate) have been involved at one point or another. What does that tell you? How can this guy leapfrog all of those players, when Floro himself has not even considered him for a Senior camp.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad he had a good debut season, but if he were such a talent and had such an outstanding season, we should start seeing suitors sniffing around to pick him up. I don't know what his contract situation is like, but when I see Trafford scoring goals in Finland, being selected MVP for his club, and getting picked up in a better league after a trial, it is clear he is a much better prospect. The top flight in Finland is not a level below NASL.

I think we are putting too much value on his club performances with Ottawa and neglecting the fact that he was very average in Olympic Qualifying. 

I always find this interesting when you compare this to Aleman, where a significant number of people are calling for him to be included with the senior team based solely on getting minutes with his club.

What is the difference?  Why is there the assumption that the Costa Rican league is far and away that much better than NASL?  Is it just because the CR league is sexier?

Why is there this assumption that non-Canadian leagues are that much better than ours?

Not picking on you in particular, just something I've noticed.

I never said Floro was going to select him, I'm just saying it would make sense if he did. At this point in time. Sometimes coaches make picks based on potential instead of performance. Especially when there's a dual citizen involved. Froese comes to mind but what about Green for instance. Still playing 4th level in Germany yet an US international.

And I really have my doubts wether the Veikkaussliga is stronger than NASL. But I'll guess we'll never know for sure.

IMO, Eustaquio's competition at DM is with JDG, Piette and JGL, and he's behind those 3 at minimum. He's not a box to box like Johnson, he's not competing with Teibert, Osorio or Petrasso on the wing, he's not competing with Trafford, Bekker or Aleman in a more attacking mid role (although I think Trafford played in Finland as a DM at times this year), and he's not competing with Hutchinson anywhere because that's just unrealistic.

I think Eustaquio is a depth piece right now, and a fringe one at that as of this minute. Not sure if he's ready to break in at more than a camp poutine level.

Edited by shermanator

I always find this interesting when you compare this to Aleman, where a significant number of people are calling for him to be included with the senior team based solely on getting minutes with his club.

What is the difference?  Why is there the assumption that the Costa Rican league is far and away that much better than NASL?  Is it just because the CR league is sexier?

Why is there this assumption that non-Canadian leagues are that much better than ours?

Not picking on you in particular, just something I've noticed.

The difference for me is the club he is playing with, so it's not because the Costa Rican league is sexier than NASL, it's because Herediano is sexier than Ottawa Fury. Much sexier. 

For Aleman to be playing (and scoring) for Herediano, well I value that much more than what Eustaquio has done with the Fury. I know they are different players, but with Canada having difficulty scoring goals, Aleman is a much more mouth-watering prospect. 

Herediano

Granados (12 Costa Rican Caps, Age 30); Sanchez (1 Costa Rican Cap, Age 27); Azofeifa (35 Costa Rican Caps, Age 31); Nelson (1 Costa Rican Cap, Age 29); Myrie (12 Costa Rican Caps, Age 27); Aries (5 Costa Rican caps, Age 29); De Lemos (6 Costa Rican Caps, Age 34); Gomez (113 Panama Caps, Age 31); Aleman (3 Canadian Caps, Age 21).

Ottawa

de Guzman (85 Canadian caps, Age 34); Trafford (1 Canadian Cap, Age 29)

Again, no disrespect to Eustaquio, but look at the difference in those squads. Aleman breaking through is much more impressive, but that is just my opinion.

IMO, Eustaquio's competition at DM is with JDG, Piette and JGL, and he's behind those 3 at minimum. He's not a box to box like Johnson, he's not competing with Teibert, Osorio or Petrasso on the wing, he's not competing with Trafford, Bekker or Aleman in a more attacking mid role (although I think Trafford played in Finland as a DM at times this year), and he's not competing with Hutchinson anywhere because that's just unrealistic.

I think Eustaquio is a depth piece right now, and a fringe one at that as of this minute. Not sure if he's ready to break in at more than a camp poutine level.

Exactly, and even at a camp poutine level i'm not sure he gets called. As far as domestic CM's go, you have Johnson, De Guzman, Teibert, Bekker and Osorio. Then you have Straith in Norway. Not a whole lot of room for him, even at a camp poutine. 

Edited by Obinna

The difference for me is the club he is playing with, so it's not because the Costa Rican league is sexier than NASL, it's because Herediano is sexier than Ottawa Fury. Much sexier. 

For Aleman to be playing (and scoring) for Herediano, well I value that much more than what Eustaquio has done with the Fury. I know they are different players, but with Canada having difficulty scoring goals, Aleman is a much more mouth-watering prospect. 

Herediano

Granados (12 Costa Rican Caps, Age 30); Sanchez (1 Costa Rican Cap, Age 27); Azofeifa (35 Costa Rican Caps, Age 31); Nelson (1 Costa Rican Cap, Age 29); Myrie (12 Costa Rican Caps, Age 27); Aries (5 Costa Rican caps, Age 29); De Lemos (6 Costa Rican Caps, Age 34); Gomez (113 Panama Caps, Age 31); Aleman (3 Canadian Caps, Age 21).

Ottawa

de Guzman (85 Canadian caps, Age 34); Trafford (1 Canadian Cap, Age 29)

Again, no disrespect to Eustaquio, but look at the difference in those squads. Aleman breaking through is much more impressive, but that is just my opinion.

Nothing is sexier then my Fury.

Back to Arfield:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11708/10079868/scott-arfields-10-to-tackle-superstitions-rumours-and-cleverest-team-mate

A fun little semi-frivolous podcast interview but you get a good sense of the guy.

What's the nickname he can't say on the podcast?

Haha.. I love the fact that he mentioned the little magician.. 

Liking Arfield more and more.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

If this happens can anyone see them playing against Mexico.  Floro's experimenting should be over by now and he should be playing those he is familiar with and who are familiar to each other, unless Arfield is a quantum leap over what Floro already has.

He is a quantum leap over what we have on the wing (ricketts). 

My bet is he sees at least sub appearances.